Zenni Optical CEO Tibor Laczay And Julia Chen Use Zennie Abraham, Zennie62 Name To Piggyback Internet Ads
It seems like every time I turn around, I see “zenni.com” or “Zenni Optical” selling glasses in an ad either on a Google search for “Zennie62” or me “Zennie Abraham” – or on my own blogs and YouTube channel.
Tibor Laczay and Julia Chen of Piedmont, Ca, which is a part of Oakland, Ca, started the firm 19dollareyeglasses.com in 2003 – then, in 2006, they changed the name to, of all things “Zenni.com” or Zenni Optical – my name without the “e”. They changed the name to that in 2006, and that was the same year i went into video-blogging. That was prior to starting Oakland’s first blog, Oakland Focus, in 2004.
Now this may seem like a coincidence, but it’s not – we live in the same city, basically and I have been an internet and local media presence since 1993.
From 1993 to 1996, I was a lead columnist for The Montclarion, which serves the Oakland hills, and, you guessed it, Piedmont, too (Hills Newspaper Group, which published The Montclarion, had another publication called “The Piedmonter” that contained my work, as well.).
Then, as Economic Advisor to Oakland Mayor Elihu Harris, my name has regularly appeared in print and online. And when I headed the effort to bring the 2005 Super Bowl to Oakland, from 1999 to 2000, my name received even more media coverage.
In 1999, I tried to bring the Super Bowl to Oakland. I started Sports Business Simulations in 2003, when their eyeglasses firm wasn’t even called Zenni.com.
Tibor Laczay and Julia Chen had to know I was online a lot and used my name to piggyback their own Internet business.
I have contacted them about this repeatedly and they never have responded to my calls and emails. In fact, I did have one conversation with a representative of the firm, that was Ms. Chen, and four years ago – she said “We will get back to you” with respect to my idea of a partnership. It was a reasonable request; she never called back.
Look, I produce a lot of online content. It’s purely unethical to, again, piggyback on my name, knowing that my content production efforts will only produce more exposure for their glasses brand, without having to pay for it. Consider that I have 13,600 YouTube videos at Zennie62 on YouTube. My Twitter account @Zennie62 has over 160,000 followers.
I have a number of blogs representing cities from Atlanta to San Francisco, and subjects like Comic Con San Diego. I have almost 5,000 Facebook Friends, and several Facebook Pages. And while my Instagram version of Zennie62 only has about 1,800 followers, it provides another gateway to my other platforms. That represents a ton of page views and content.
Tibor and Julia have gotten rich off my name to a great degree. I’m glad that they help charities in the Bay Area, but that does not excuse the effort to use my content production activity as a trojan horse for their marketing efforts without paying me.
While I whine about this, they have sold over 20 million pairs of glasses, and are careful in their press releases to avoid any mention of the fact that they live in Piedmont or anything that would show a direct geographic connection to me living in and being a public figure in Oakland. Additionally, they say Zenni Optical was established in 2003, but that’s not true – they started 19dollareyeglasses.com. Then they changed the name years later and to “Zenni”.
Before you remark that someone has to click on the ad to buy, hold on. Tibor Laczay and Julia Chen gain from a person just seeing the name “Zenni”, without clicking on their ad or anything. That’s So, the next time a person happens to think about glasses, they are more likely to think of Zenni, rather than some brand using an owl. You know?
Why can’t I be the owl? I need new glasses, anyway.
Related Posts (YARPP)
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Vivid-Pix Asks What Happened To Great-Uncle George In Online Mystery Game
- Velodyne Lidar Introduces Next-Generation Velabit Sensor
- Dave Kaval Oakland A’s President Shows Us Globe Life Field In Arlington, Texas
- Oakland Council President Bas To Hold Old-Media-Only Meetup On Budget Vote In Downtown Oakland
- 25th Street Art Gallery Oakland Saturday Stroll
- Oakland A’s Sergio Romo Drops Pants During Umpire Inspection For Foreign Substances
- City Auditor Pt1 Courtney Ruby, Oakland City Auditor, All About Community, June 8, 2021
- Boxing Keith Thurman Says Pacquiao Fist Feel Like a Rock Spence Better Listen – By Eric Pangilinan
- Atlanta Hawks Upset Milwaukee Bucks 116-113 To Win NBA East Finals Game 1
- Sonic The Hedgehog Celebrates It’s 30th Anniversary As A Franchise, By: Vinny Lospinuso
- Hawks Trae Young Shimmy Scores Three vs Bucks NBA Playoffs Game 1 2021
- Raiders Josh Jacobs Was Not happy Losing Hudson And Jackson – By Eric Pangilinan
- Boxing Oscar De La Hoya Coming Out Of Retirement- By Eric Pangilinan
- Raiders Derek Carr Supports Teammate Carl Nassib – By Eric Pangilinan
- Raiders Receiver John Brown Building Chemistry With QB Derek Carr
- John McAfee, Who Ran For President vs Donald Trump In 2015, Died In Spanish Prison
- Loki Lamentis Review Recap – By Jessica Dwyer
- Loki Episode 3: Does The Ark Reference Have Symbolic Meaning To Noah’s Ark? By Joseph Armendariz
- 2412 Kingsland Ave Oakland, CA 94601
- Bike Oakland/Alameda: Bay Trail & Bay Farm Island
Oakland News Now Archives
- California eviction moratorium still in limbo ahead of June 30 expiration – San Francisco Chronicle
- Adams leads in NYC mayoral primary but 2 others have a shot – theday.com
- Giant Crane To Pass Under Golden Gate Bridge En Route To Oakland – Patch.com
- Oakland Police Department using de-escalation simulator to train officers on use of force – California News Times
- Oakland A’s minor-league updates: Who’s making the case for a promotion? – The Mercury News
- Photos: Rally and vigil follows Juneteenth shooting at Lake Merritt – The Oaklandside
- Gwyneth Paltrow Probably Didn’t Write This Guide to What’s Cool and New in SF – Flipboard
- Crystal Teahon Obituary (1941 – 2021) – Cordes Lakes, AZ – Custer County Chief – Legacy.com
- East Bay Assembly candidates lay out LGBTQ plans – Bay Area Reporter, America’s highest circulation LGBT newspaper
- Cruise ships are back in business, but new rules mean changes – CNET