Since the The National Football League’s decision to move it’s popular NFL Draft from city to city, as many as 20 urban areas have submitted bids to or expressed interest in hosting the league’s player selection meeting. The conventional wisdom would seem to be that Oakland is out automatically of the running to host the NFL Draft in the future. The apparent reason is the Oakland Raiders are deep in the process of relocating to Las Vegas, plus the NFL Draft has been held in cities with teams: Chicago, Philadelphia, Dallas, and now Nashville, with Vegas in talks for a future event. So, Oakland’s out, right?
Well, the NFL says no, not at all.
Asked by me, Zennie Abraham of Zennie62Meddia, if Oakland could submit a bid for a future NFL Draft, NFL Senior Vice President Peter O’Reilly (who’s in charge of planning for league events like the Super Bowl and the NFL Draft) said “Well, there’s certainly an openness there, to ah.. We will go out to all cities, later this summer, for an expression of interest. Clearly, the Raiders are focused on Las Vegas as a potential Draft destination and we will be working with them on that. But, at this point, nothing is off the table.”
That would include Oakland itself submitting a bid to host the NFL Draft. And why not Oakland? Oakland has the Raiders, and looks like it will for at least the next three years, depending on when the Las Vegas NFL / UNLV Stadium is ready. (Vocal proponents, like Las Vegas labor union politco Tommy White, say the facility will make its August 2020 deadline for opening, but the documents on the Las Vegas Stadium Authority website say only the “certificate of readiness for occupancy” is expected to be issued in mid-August, and that it would take “three months” to move in, before the Las Vegas Stadium can be truly considered ready to host a full NFL Season. NFL observers this author has talked do don’t, at this point, forcee the Raiders playing a split NFL season in Oakland then Las Vegas, but the Raiders themselves have not responded on this, yet.)
Moreover, Oakland not only has the Raiders, but is at the geographic center of one of the richest regions for sports, college or pro. The San Francisco / Oakland Bay Area has two NFL teams, two major college football teams in the California Golden Bears and Stanford Cardinal, many other legendary college football teams at various levels, and is a major producer of college and NFL football talent.
And the Bay Area itself is a major world tourist destination, in addition to its NFL regional status and history. An NFL Draft in Oakland would be a fitting way to close out a rich, if controversial period of the Raiders and the league’s history. There’s just one very possible action that could stand in the way. A lawsuit.
According to two well-placed Oakland City Hall sources, the City of Oakland is “close to filing a lawsuit” against the Oakland Raiders and the NFL, as of yesterday. And while the meaning of the word “close” was not defined (Will it be next week or next month?) the fact is, from what the sources say, the filing of a lawsuit is a matter of time.
But will that necessarily eliminate Oakland from submitting a bid to the NFL to host the NFL Draft? From this author’s experience as founder and executive director of the Oakland-Alameda County Sports Commission which formed the Oakland bid to host the 2005 Super Bowl in 1999-2000, the answer is no, if history is any guide.
When the Oakland-Alameda County Sports Commission conceived of the bid documents for the 2005 Super Bowl, the City of Oakland, together with Alameda County and the Oakland Coliseum Joint Powers Authority were in the middle of a lawsuit against the Raiders. That did not stop the NFL from working with Oakland, taking meetings on the progress of the bid, offering suggestions on how to improve it, or finally voting on it. Out of many cities, Oakland and Miami lost to Jacksonville on the third voting ballot at the 2000 Fall NFL Owners Meeting in Atlanta.
So, the next time someone mentions that Oakland should submit a bid to host the NFL Draft, don’t discount the chances of the place long-time Oaklanders call “The Town.”
Stay tuned: bookmark Oakland News Now, subscribe to Zennie62 on YouTube for the Zennie62 Livestream Show, Sunday – Thursday 8:30 PM PST / 11:30 PM EST. And watch Zennie62’s coverage of the 2018 NFL Spring League Meeting here. Zennie62 is Oakland’s first YouTube Partner Channel.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Las Vegas Raiders Will Greg Olson Be A Better Play Caller Then Jon Gruden? By Eric Pangilinan October 15, 2021
- Fentanyl Alert!!! Looks Like Chewing Gum by Derrick Soo October 15, 2021
- Video of suspect vehicle in Oakland road rage shooting that left teen dead October 15, 2021
- 245 Perkins St 34 Oakland, CA 94610 October 15, 2021
- Rotary Club of Oakland Civic Thursday Meeting, October 7th 2021. October 15, 2021
- Why I’m leaving Oakland, California. Pt.1 October 15, 2021
- Downs Oakland Sunday Service 10.17.21 October 15, 2021
- 5800 Nottingham Dr Oakland CA | Oakland Homes for Sale October 15, 2021
- Raiders Rumors Mailbag: Hire Jack Del Rio As Next Raiders Head Coach? Start Jimmy Morrissey? October 15, 2021
- San Francisco 49ers Rumors: Xavien Howard Trade? Nick Bosa, Deebo Samuel Contract Extension| Mailbag October 15, 2021
- Latest San Francisco 49ers News With Matt Maiocco October 15, 2021
- Dodgers vs. Giants NLDS Game 5 Highlights (10/14/21) | MLB Highlights October 15, 2021
- NFL News: Leaked Emails Link NFL Attorney Jeff Pash To Bruce Allen Cover Up By Joseph Armendariz October 15, 2021
- Who will be the next Raiders coach in Week 6? | NFL NEWS TODAY October 15, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders vs Denver Broncos Game Preview October 15, 2021
- San Francisco 49ers Morning Show: The Positives With The Team October 15, 2021
- Stephen Schear Runs For Mayor Of Oakland, But Who The Hell Is He? October 15, 2021
- MLB Playoffs, NFL, CFB, NHL, WNBA Finals, Golf, NASCAR, NBA PF Ranks, News & Notes, Best Bet/Fab 5 October 15, 2021
- 49ers Trade Rumors: Trade For Brandin Cooks, Greedy Williams? Asante Samuel Jr Draft MISS | Mailbag October 15, 2021
- Damon Connolly Marin County Supervisor Runs For California Assembly Seat October 15, 2021
- Giants-Dodgers 2021 Highlights (NLDS Game 5 preview – IT ALL COMES DOWN TO TONIGHT!) October 15, 2021
- While LA Dodgers Spoil SF Giants MLB Playoffs Party, Oakland Gets Idea Of A’s At Howard Terminal October 15, 2021
- Giants vs Dodgers Game 5 Highlights | MLB 2021 October 15, 2021
- The adventure of the lake Merritt light show 2021 October 15, 2021
- Oakland Schools Leroy Gaines: OUSD Announces Arrival of New Network 4 Superintendent October 15, 2021
- Los Angeles Dodgers: Dodgers Defeat Giants Under Controverial Check Swing By Joseph Armendariz October 15, 2021
- XO Sports Talk Eps. 24 MLB Playoffs, NCAA Football WNBA Playoffs, NFL Week 5 & 6 picks, Boxing October 15, 2021
- The Oakland Police Department Needs Your Help Solving A Homicide By IDing This Car October 15, 2021
- Raiders Press Conference Talk, Mike Mayock takes Control October 14, 2021
- The Good News About 49ers QB Trey Lance’s Left Knee Sprain October 14, 2021