On Monday, Oakland City Councilmember Rebecca Kaplan was joined by colleagues Noel Gallo and Sheng Thao, and the trio issued a short press release via her amazing Chief of Staff Kimberly Jones that went like this:
OAKLAND, CA (November 23, 2020) — Today, Oakland Councilmembers Rebecca Kaplan, Noel Gallo, and Sheng Thao wrote an open letter to Governor Gavin Newsom encouraging him to appoint Congressperson Barbara Lee to the United States Senate as California’s representative.
Barbara Lee has shown, both with her words and with her actions, a deep commitment to justice and a willingness to uplift truth and justice. Lee is an experienced member of the Congress and can easily transition into the US Senate at a difficult time in history. We are living in a time that has shown that we must recognize and honor the leadership of Black women.
And this is the text of the full letter to Governor Newsom:
Dear Governor Newsom:
At this time, you have an important decision to make, in selecting California’s representation in the United States Senate. This is a vital moment, and an opportunity to help ensure that our values will be represented by someone with dedication and commitment. We need someone who is unafraid to confront wrongdoing and injustice, who can effectively build coalitions, and can help ensure that everyone in our communities has a voice and is respected in our nation’s decision-making process.
We also recognize that with the upcoming departure of Vice-President-Elect Kamala Harris from the Senate, that we would potentially be left with no Black women in the Senate, at the same time that it is vitally important, as many more have also said, that we must recognize and honor the leadership of Black women.
We are incredibly honored to be represented by a courageous and dedicated leader — Congresswoman Barbara Lee, and would like to encourage you to appoint Barbara Lee to the Senate. Barbara Lee has shown, both with her words and also with her actions, a deep commitment to justice, and a willingness to uplift truth and justice — even in the face of pressure not to. Lee is an experienced member of congress, and can easily transition into the Senate at a difficult time in history. This is the kind of proven leadership and representation that California needs to help move America forward, and to ensure a more equitable future.
What’s interesting about this effort is who didn’t sign on to it, as much as who did. Where’s Dan Kalb, Nikki Bas, Loren Taylor, Lynette Gibson McElhaney, and Noel Gallo? Personally, I think Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf herself should chime in with a signature and statement of support. Yes, it’s known that the Mayor of Oakland wants the Senate seat still held by Vice President-Elect Kamala Harris and until after January 20th, but given that Lee’s 74 and an historic figure in American Politics, not backing the idea just seems wrong. Besides, Libby wanting Harris’ seat doesn’t mean she can’t cheer for Barbara Lee. So, she should.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- PHOENIX SUNS TO THE NBA WESTERN CONFRENCE FINALS
- Eric Pangilinan Vlogger Zennie62
- Introducing Eric Pangilinan As New Zennie62 Vlogger
- Eric Pangilinanvlogger Zennie62
- Errol Barnett, Once A CNN Reporter In 2008, Now CBS Weekend Anchor In 2021
- Visit to Oakland Zoo
- Upcoming Events at Allen Temple Baptist Church Oakland for the week of 6/13/21
- Home For Sale 6416 Heather Ridge Way Oakland, CA 94611
- Home For Sale 532 30th St 10 Oakland, CA 94609
- Match Highlights: Oakland Roots SC vs. Orange County SC
- 2021 Honda Pilot EX-L 2WD Sale Price Lease Bay Area Oakland Alameda Hayward Fremont San Leandro CA 4
- Is That Too Short, Famed Oakland Rapper, Doing The Hustle At District Bar In Old Oakland?
- Falcon And The Winter Soldier Is Better Than Loki Because Its Rooted In American Culture
- Downsizing Oakland Howard Terminal Ballpark Without Knowing About It Is Brainless
- Philippines Independence Day Saturday June 12th 2021: Eric Pangilinan Philippines Reaction
- French President Macron Says America Is Back During G7 Summit At Carbis Bay
- Oakland A’s Kaval, City Council’s Gallo, Alameda County’s Miley Muddle Howard Terminal Ballpark On KGO-TV
- 🔴OMG Vegas LIVE… You Won’t Believe it. Vegas is NORMAL AGAIN!!🚨
- 12-Year-Old Shot Confronting Catalytic Converter Thieves Outside Oakland Home
- Howard Terminal Ballpark: A Gift To Oakland And Its People – By Kevin M. Corbett