FAYETTE COUNTY, Ga. – Hurricane Florence is not far from me. I’m in a place called Fayette County, Georgia – and I’m here for my elderly Mom, who has been sick. Earlier this year, she couldn’t walk – now she’s up and moving and using any excuse to shop at the local Kroger’s. Mom is about to turn 84 October 1st, but in her mind she’s still 64, and she makes a good argument to back her claim. I’m afraid to go back to Oakland and leave her by herself – it’s not her condition at all, it’s just me.
I wish some of the family in Tennessee and South Carolina and California and Chicago would come on down. We’d love to see them.
I’m supposed to be here for Mom, even as I maintain payments on my place in Oakland, video-blog and blog about Oakland and pretty much every other place on the planet, if the trend moves me that way.
But I am in Fayette County, Georgia, and Hurricane Florence is not far from me. In fact, it’s a good three hour drive away. But I keep wondering if the damn thing’s going to change it’s collective mind (Do hurricane’s have minds?) and say to itself “Wonder what Fayette County, Georgia’s like? Maybe I can catch a MARVEL movie as they’re making it, over there.”
One thing about staying in a place known for hurricanes, tornadoes, and floods, is you’re constantly on alert. It’s one thing to be in earthquake country, where you don’t know when the ground’s going to shake – that’s scary. But there’s something equally frightening about not knowing exactly what path a giant weather storm will take. Forget Godzilla, Hurricane Florence is the real life giant monster.
100,000 without power, and already millions of dollars of damage. You would think, in this day and age, a kind of cheap mini-power source that costs only $100 could be had that would serve as a backup generator, right? I’d bet someone’s working on an idea that just needs the right amount of funding…
So, those in Oakland or whereever you are, say a prayer this Hurricane Florence dissipates to nothingness fast. I’m not into predicting the path of giant monsters.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Las Vegas Raiders: Running BackTrey Ragas Waived By The Raiders But Why? By Joseph Armendariz September 28, 2021
- Three earthquakes near Charleston, South Carolina September 28, 2021
- Home For Sale At 6690 Outlook Ave Oakland, CA 94605 September 28, 2021
- John Guillory Stars In What Happened to the Black People in Oakland? Part One September 28, 2021
- The Optimistic Oakland A’s Report – 09.26.21 September 28, 2021
- FISHER BLOCK PARTY – Oakland 2021 – 4K September 28, 2021
- Fisher block party (Oakland) 9/25/21 September 28, 2021
- Fisher Block Party Oakland Live Technomusic Experience September 28, 2021
- Britney Spears’ Dad Allegedly Bugged Her Phone and Home September 27, 2021
- Why Jamie Lynn Spears Isn’t As Innocent As She Claims September 27, 2021
- South Carolina Earthquakes – Dr Wendy Rocks Explains Why They Happened Today September 27, 2021
- Parents deny involvement in Brian Laundrie’s disappearance as FBI continues search September 27, 2021
- Howard Terminal Update – Oakland Doesn’t Need Alameda County For TIF, Loren Taylor Town Hall Tonight September 27, 2021
- Coach Gruden Presser | 9.27.21 | Las Vegas Raiders September 27, 2021
- Bay Area Transparency Clashes With Oakland Police At Public Works Annex, Again September 27, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Is QB Derek Carr Leading In The MVP Race Right Now? By Eric Pangilinan September 27, 2021
- Oakland Police YouTube Video – Meet Deputy Chief Drennon Lindsey September 27, 2021
- KTVU’s Dave Clark Reports Sideshow Draws 70 Spectators in Oakland September 27, 2021
- Oakland Dynamites (8U) Big Play Highlights – 09.25.21 September 27, 2021
- With Double Slaying Sunday, Oakland Marks 102 Homicides So Far in 2021 September 27, 2021
- Rapper R Kelly Guilty Of Racketeering Sex Trafficking And Assault Expected To Get Decades In Jail September 27, 2021
- South Carolina Earthquake Today | Magnitude 3.1 earthquake Near Summerville, North Charleston September 27, 2021
- Crete earthquake – Brit tourists terrified as mag-6 quake rocks Greek island September 27, 2021
- WorldView: Earthquake hits Greece; Volcano erupts in Spain’s Canary Islands September 27, 2021
- Magnitude 5.8 earthquake strikes the Greek island of Crete September 27, 2021