ONN – Will Durst On SF’s The Punch Line Closing, Politics In The Age Of Trump
My talk with San Francisco political satirist, one that in itself was as unexpectedly crazy as the San Francisco Comedy Scene of the 1990s. The man who knew that he wanted to be a comic at six-years-old, Durst was a fixture at “The Punch Line”, the famous comedy lounge at 444 Battery that’s slated to close in August of this year, and said to be in search of a new home.
We started with a talk about what made San Francisco so much the crucible for the improvisational comedy. Durst’s memory immediately went to recall the genius of Robin Williams.
The late star of Mork and Mindy was also performer who helped put the Punch Line on the map. By the time Durst arrived to live in the San Francisco Bay Area in 1980, Williams was already known. “He was the funniest guy in the room” then, said Durst, “before he became the funniest guy in the country.”
Durst said of Robin Williams, that his gift was working on stage with other people, but if you could not keep up with him, he would just take over. Here, Durst praises his wife Debi Durst as one who could keep up with Williams.
Another group that could keep up with Williams was the SF Bay Area comedy audience. Durst explained that he could tell a complicated joke and the audience would pick up the punch line. Other comics would come in and “do their homophobic and sexist material” and the audience would not laugh.
In the green room, the performers would say “They just don’t get it. They just don’t get me.” Then Durst turned his head and said “No, Man. They get you!”
Comedy Ghosts Set Off The Printer Spontaneously
During our talk, the Canon printer that was off, suddenly turned on. It seemed like someone was trying to send a fax. That never happened before, and it interrupted the use of the phone around the house. Whatever happened, I do think it had something to do with a strange “ju-ju” that Durst brought forth talking about the late Tim Conway and then Robin Williams. A wild moment I’m still trying to process.
Durst Says W. Kamau Bell Is The Best Comedian Today
When I asked who Will Durst considered the top comedian active today, the one who he pays attention to, without hesitation, he pointed to W. Kamau Bell. You may know W. Kamau Bell as the host of “United Shades Of America” but he’s also a standup comic who performs around the country, and has his own unique look at American Politics. For Durst to adorn Bell with the mantle of “the one to watch” is high praise.
Will There Be Another Place Like The Punch Line?
Asked if there would be another place like The Punch Line, Durst said “Well, it’s a different World.” Earlier, he said that the basic comedy audience was between 18 and 36 years of age and wanted to “hear people who represent their values”. Regarding the The Punch Line and the future, he said “In 40 years, people will be holding memorials for other venues, or for different formats – it’s all a wave. It’s all a cycle.”
Oakland News Now Note: this post demonstrates the full and live operation of the latest version of an experimental Zennie62Media mobile media video-blogging system network – part of a new approach to the production of media. The uploaded video is from a vlogger with the Zennie62 on YouTube Partner Channel, then uploaded to and formatted automatically at the Oakland News Now site and social media pages. The objective is smartphone-enabled, real-time, on the scene reporting of news, interviews, observations, and happenings anywhere in the World and within seconds and not hours. We are constantly working to improve the system network coding and also seek interested content and media technology partners.
Oakland News Now Related Posts
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Ca Governor Gavin Newsom’s $100 Billion Rental Assistance Plan Debut With Oakland Mayor Schaff
- Governor Newsom Unveils his Economic Recovery Package
- Tim Sullivan Of Louisville Courier Journal Ambush Marketing In-And-Out Burger On CNN?
- Rotary Club Of Oakland Features Gary Meyer On The Oscars May 06 2021
- Resurrection Oakland Church | May 9, 2021. 10am
- Sharing The Beauty Of Lake Merritt, Oakland, California – Mothers Day 2021
- Mothers Day Drum Circle – Lake Merritt, Oakland, California, 2021
- Bike Oakland & Alameda: Alameda, Bay Farm, and 66th Ave
- Port of Oakland Trade Boom: Wan Hai Lines Connects U.S. And Asia In 2021
- Oakland City Budget Forgets Cybersecurity As USA’s Largest Pipeline Gets Ransomwared
- Oakland City Council President Nikki Fortunato Bas On Mayor Schaaf’s Budget
- Oakland Adams Point Apartment Target Of Would Be Robber Caught-On-Camera Mother’s Day Evening
- Elon Musk Wario – Wario Is Elon Musk On SNL And Vinny Lospinuso Shares His Vlog Thoughts
- Star Trek’s Lt. Uhura Nichelle Nichols On Meeting President Obama
- Happy Mother’s Day, Today, Everyone! Enjoy Your Mom!
- Grand Lake Theater Marquee In Oakland Says Wait Almost Over, Reopens Late May 2021
- Fata Fut News: Today Top Trending News | 11 AM | 9 May 2021 – TV9
- New Trending Instagram Reels Videos | All Famous TikTok Star | Today Viral Insta Reels | Insta Reels
- Mount Zion Oakland Mother’s Day Church Service 2021
- Home For Sale At 9124 Lawlor St Oakland, CA