ONN – Will Durst On SF’s The Punch Line Closing, Politics In The Age Of Trump
My talk with San Francisco political satirist, one that in itself was as unexpectedly crazy as the San Francisco Comedy Scene of the 1990s. The man who knew that he wanted to be a comic at six-years-old, Durst was a fixture at “The Punch Line”, the famous comedy lounge at 444 Battery that’s slated to close in August of this year, and said to be in search of a new home.
We started with a talk about what made San Francisco so much the crucible for the improvisational comedy. Durst’s memory immediately went to recall the genius of Robin Williams.
The late star of Mork and Mindy was also performer who helped put the Punch Line on the map. By the time Durst arrived to live in the San Francisco Bay Area in 1980, Williams was already known. “He was the funniest guy in the room” then, said Durst, “before he became the funniest guy in the country.”
Durst said of Robin Williams, that his gift was working on stage with other people, but if you could not keep up with him, he would just take over. Here, Durst praises his wife Debi Durst as one who could keep up with Williams.
Another group that could keep up with Williams was the SF Bay Area comedy audience. Durst explained that he could tell a complicated joke and the audience would pick up the punch line. Other comics would come in and “do their homophobic and sexist material” and the audience would not laugh.
In the green room, the performers would say “They just don’t get it. They just don’t get me.” Then Durst turned his head and said “No, Man. They get you!”
Comedy Ghosts Set Off The Printer Spontaneously
During our talk, the Canon printer that was off, suddenly turned on. It seemed like someone was trying to send a fax. That never happened before, and it interrupted the use of the phone around the house. Whatever happened, I do think it had something to do with a strange “ju-ju” that Durst brought forth talking about the late Tim Conway and then Robin Williams. A wild moment I’m still trying to process.
Durst Says W. Kamau Bell Is The Best Comedian Today
When I asked who Will Durst considered the top comedian active today, the one who he pays attention to, without hesitation, he pointed to W. Kamau Bell. You may know W. Kamau Bell as the host of “United Shades Of America” but he’s also a standup comic who performs around the country, and has his own unique look at American Politics. For Durst to adorn Bell with the mantle of “the one to watch” is high praise.
Will There Be Another Place Like The Punch Line?
Asked if there would be another place like The Punch Line, Durst said “Well, it’s a different World.” Earlier, he said that the basic comedy audience was between 18 and 36 years of age and wanted to “hear people who represent their values”. Regarding the The Punch Line and the future, he said “In 40 years, people will be holding memorials for other venues, or for different formats – it’s all a wave. It’s all a cycle.”
Oakland News Now Note: this post demonstrates the full and live operation of the latest version of an experimental Zennie62Media mobile media video-blogging system network – part of a new approach to the production of media. The uploaded video is from a vlogger with the Zennie62 on YouTube Partner Channel, then uploaded to and formatted automatically at the Oakland News Now site and social media pages. The objective is smartphone-enabled, real-time, on the scene reporting of news, interviews, observations, and happenings anywhere in the World and within seconds and not hours. We are constantly working to improve the system network coding and also seek interested content and media technology partners.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- NFL Trade Deadline: will the New England Patriots “Buy or Sell”? October 27, 2021
- GOP’s Execution System Halted In Oklahoma October 27, 2021
- Keke Palmer Says She Honored Ancestors Singing National Anthem At World Series | TMZ Sports October 27, 2021
- Brazil’s Bolsonaro could be charged for mishandling the pandemic October 27, 2021
- Nikita Dragun Wants To Educate Dave Chappelle On Transgender Community | TMZ October 27, 2021
- Look ahead to game 2 of the World Series October 27, 2021
- Deshaun Watson Trade To Miami DONE? Latest Dolphins Rumors On Acquiring The Franchise QB + Tua Talk October 27, 2021
- Law enforcement prepares to keep World Series crowds safe October 27, 2021
- World Series 2021 – Game 1 – National Anthem – Sang by Keke Palmer October 27, 2021
- Blake Griffin Does a H-O-R-S-E Shot after a call 😎 October 27, 2021
- ‘Wing-Nut Racism’: Howard Dean Crushes Ted Cruz October 27, 2021
- NFL refuses to release report on investigation of Washington Football Team October 27, 2021
- Calif. Urges Eligible Residents to Get COVID-19 Booster Shot as Holiday Season Nears October 27, 2021
- A happy rescue | Simba the lion finally home where he belongs October 27, 2021
- Call of Duty: Vanguard File Size Revealed | GameSpot News October 27, 2021
- Pat Beverley Gets Called for the New Rule Offensive Foul, Gives a Thumbs Up 👍 October 27, 2021
- JAY-Z Almost Spilled his Drink after BLAKE GRIFFIN DUNK 😂 October 27, 2021
- Travis d’Arnaud goes deep! Puts the Braves on the board in Game 2! October 27, 2021
- The soaring cost of inflation October 27, 2021
- Extreme weather events highlight U.S.’s failing infrastructure October 27, 2021
- 2021 World Series pits bitter Atlanta Braves against reviled Houston Astros October 27, 2021
- Event Marks Beginning of 100-Day Countdown to 2022 Beijing Olympics October 27, 2021
- San Diego Democratic Party pushes to ban state-sponsored horse racing October 27, 2021
- Group Helps Breast Cancer Survivors Find Adventure, Community And Inspiration October 27, 2021
- Raiders News : Raiders Trade For DT/DE Michael Brockers? October 27, 2021
- Gas prices continue to climb October 27, 2021
- Meet Alysa Liu: 16-Year-Old Olympic Figure Skating Hopeful From the Bay Area October 27, 2021
- British-Iranian woman faces more prison time in Tehran October 27, 2021
- NFL PICKS: Green Bay Packers vs Arizona Cardinals | 🏈 NFL Best Bets | NFL Picks Today October 27, 2021
- Bradley Beal Blows Wide Open Layup Twice – Shaqtin’ A Fool Moment October 27, 2021
- Bay Area Forecast: Great Thursday; More Rain Ahead October 27, 2021
- Authorities Identify Suspect Accused of Stabbing Good Samaritan in San Francisco October 27, 2021
- Top Democrats say a deal on Biden’s social spending plan is imminent, but roadblocks remain October 27, 2021
- California’s unemployment fraud climbs to $20 billion October 27, 2021
- COP26: What to expect at the upcoming U.N. climate summit October 27, 2021
- Santa Fe County Sheriff says Baldwin fired ‘suspected live round’ on ‘Rust’ set October 27, 2021
- Car shortage causes major increase in auto theft October 27, 2021
- ‘He’s A Liar’: Tucker Carlson Makes False Vax Claim As Fox News Colleague Reveals Viewer Death Wish October 27, 2021
- Off-Duty San Jose Officer Accused of Punching Woman During Road Rage Incident: DA October 27, 2021
- Atlanta Braves vs Houston Astros Live Stream – World Series Game 2 LIVE ⚾️ October 27, 2021