White Boy Rick is one of those movies that reads like it’s going to be an Oscar-contender. Just read the production notes:
Based on true events, White Boy Rick’s is set in 1980s Detroit at the height of the crack epidemic and the war on drugs, in a city rife with corruption on every level. White Boy Rick tells the moving story of a blue-collar father, Richard Wershe Sr. and his namesake teenage son, Rick Jr. In a mind-boggling series of events, Rick Jr. enters into a Faustian bargain, becoming an undercover informant and later a drug dealer, manipulated by the very system meant to protect him only to be abandoned by his police handlers and sentenced to life in prison. This incredible story of the youngest FBI informant in history is inextricably bound to a turbulent, complicated father-son relationship. Richard Sr., equal parts hustler, schemer and dreamer, is doing the best he can to stop the cycle of generational poverty and despair, driven by a sincere love of his kids. His son Rick Jr., caught up in his father’s aspirations, willingly becomes the means by which to achieve his father’s ambitions. But all the while, Richard Sr. also attempts to hold their tenuous and fractured family together – both father and son are ultimately motivated by the love of each other and their family. Their city and government betray them – the institutional injustice and corruption that defined Detroit, the home they loved, would be their undoing.
Sounds like a deep and involved movie, right? Well, I thought so, and since my Mom, who’s 83, is a big fan of Oscar® winner Matthew McConaughey, I thought she’s just like the movie’s story.
“Who wants to see that?”, she asked in a kind of throw-away, way. It seems my Mom was just plain turned off by a story with a sad ending right from the production notes. There was nothing appealing about the story to her. So, I had to cross it off the list of movies I thought she might enjoy. On top of that, she found the title itself to be a little weird and a lot annoying. The racial reference – White Boy Rick – just plain turned her off. I tried to sell her on the Matthew McConaughey part, but she asked “Why would he do a movie like that?”
Matthew McConaughey in a Lincoln, she loves. Matthew McConaughey giving her a Lincoln, she’d like even better. But Matthew McConaughey in a story with a sad ending and a reference to a “white boy” – which doesn’t play at all with my Mom’s sensibilities, was a flat out no. Forget seeing it.
I managed to say to Mom that I didn’t think Matthew McConaughey (that’s how we refer to him at home: first name and last name) would make a movie that wasn’t an Oscar-contender. She agreed, but that did not change her mind about seeing White Boy Rick. It wasn’t happening.
And now that the reports are the movie box office is a paltry $9 million, it looks like my Mom’s not the only one just plain turned off by the storyline. Just because a story is true, and grity doesn’t mean people want to see it told to them. White Boy Rick is one of those movies.
Next time, Matthew McConaughey should run a movie concept he’s presented with by my Mom before he makes it. And give her a Lincoln.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- GIRL INJURED IN PEDESTRIAN CRASH ON 98TH AVENUE AND CHERRY STREET [OAKLAND, CA] October 15, 2021
- Video of suspect vehicle in Oakland road rage shooting that left teen dead October 15, 2021
- 245 Perkins St 34 Oakland, CA 94610 October 15, 2021
- Rotary Club of Oakland Civic Thursday Meeting, October 7th 2021. October 15, 2021
- Why I’m leaving Oakland, California. Pt.1 October 15, 2021
- Downs Oakland Sunday Service 10.17.21 October 15, 2021
- 5800 Nottingham Dr Oakland CA | Oakland Homes for Sale October 15, 2021
- Raiders Rumors Mailbag: Hire Jack Del Rio As Next Raiders Head Coach? Start Jimmy Morrissey? October 15, 2021
- San Francisco 49ers Rumors: Xavien Howard Trade? Nick Bosa, Deebo Samuel Contract Extension| Mailbag October 15, 2021
- Latest San Francisco 49ers News With Matt Maiocco October 15, 2021
- Dodgers vs. Giants NLDS Game 5 Highlights (10/14/21) | MLB Highlights October 15, 2021
- NFL News: Leaked Emails Link NFL Attorney Jeff Pash To Bruce Allen Cover Up By Joseph Armendariz October 15, 2021
- Who will be the next Raiders coach in Week 6? | NFL NEWS TODAY October 15, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders vs Denver Broncos Game Preview October 15, 2021
- San Francisco 49ers Morning Show: The Positives With The Team October 15, 2021
- Stephen Schear Runs For Mayor Of Oakland, But Who The Hell Is He? October 15, 2021
- MLB Playoffs, NFL, CFB, NHL, WNBA Finals, Golf, NASCAR, NBA PF Ranks, News & Notes, Best Bet/Fab 5 October 15, 2021
- 49ers Trade Rumors: Trade For Brandin Cooks, Greedy Williams? Asante Samuel Jr Draft MISS | Mailbag October 15, 2021
- Damon Connolly Marin County Supervisor Runs For California Assembly Seat October 15, 2021
- Giants-Dodgers 2021 Highlights (NLDS Game 5 preview – IT ALL COMES DOWN TO TONIGHT!) October 15, 2021
- While LA Dodgers Spoil SF Giants MLB Playoffs Party, Oakland Gets Idea Of A’s At Howard Terminal October 15, 2021
- Giants vs Dodgers Game 5 Highlights | MLB 2021 October 15, 2021
- The adventure of the lake Merritt light show 2021 October 15, 2021
- Oakland Schools Leroy Gaines: OUSD Announces Arrival of New Network 4 Superintendent October 15, 2021
- Los Angeles Dodgers: Dodgers Defeat Giants Under Controverial Check Swing By Joseph Armendariz October 15, 2021
- XO Sports Talk Eps. 24 MLB Playoffs, NCAA Football WNBA Playoffs, NFL Week 5 & 6 picks, Boxing October 15, 2021
- The Oakland Police Department Needs Your Help Solving A Homicide By IDing This Car October 15, 2021
- Raiders Press Conference Talk, Mike Mayock takes Control October 14, 2021
- The Good News About 49ers QB Trey Lance’s Left Knee Sprain October 14, 2021
- Police release video of suspect vehicle in fatal shooting of Oakland teen October 14, 2021