THE VICE PRESIDENT: Thank you, Congresswoman. Let me just start by saying, Reign, I’m so excited to be here. Mayor Libby Schaaf — I spoke to her over the weekend — she is a huge fan of your work. She talked endlessly about you and all that you have done in terms of catering her events as well. (Laughter.)
But I’m so happy to be here. And your story is an example of, really, the kind of — you know, and you talk about pursuing the American Dream, but also it’s a very common story.
I talk with small-business owners around the country. I visited with small-business owners around the country. Recently, I was in — I think it was in Las Vegas, where we were at a restaurant, and it’s a Latino-owned — she makes empanadas — and she had a similar story about how she started in her kitchen, and she wanted to buy an industrial-sized stove. And she went to the bank and she heard this term she’d never heard before: that she was “unbankable.”
THE VICE PRESIDENT: But she kept working. And her story was about people investing in her who understood. And then finally, she became so-called “bankable.”
But it’s a very similar story. And it is my great pride to lift up these stories, because ultimately we are talking about stories of great success. And so congratulations to you. And thank you for hosting us.
Barbara Lee. Barbara Lee, it’s so good to be home. You know, so we went to East Bay MUD, which that — my mother used to live just on the other side of that (inaudible) exit. And so I lived there.
REPRESENTATIVE LEE: (Inaudible.)
THE VICE PRESIDENT: Right, I lived there. Right. And, anyway, it’s so good to be home. And thank you. It meant so much to me to have you greet me at the airport, on the tarmac. So thank you for that.
And to everyone, thank you: Alex; the Senator; our great, great, great, great Lieutenant Governor. We’re going to hear from our business leaders and our leaders of Oakland and of the East Bay.
And I’ll just tell you — I mean, you all know: I’ve been doing this work for a long time. I mean, going back to just as recently as when I was attorney general — and, Barbara, you stood by my side when we took on the big banks around the foreclosure crisis. And I traveled up and down our state and worked collaboratively with attorneys general from around the country.
And what was happening was that we were, at its core, finding that they didn’t necessarily have the commitment or the connection to the people of the community. And so we saw predatory lending practices. We saw a level of callousness and detachment that resulted in great suffering. And, as we know, California, in particular, had often 7 — on the top 10 list of cities around the country who were hardest hit by the foreclosures, 7 were in California. We lost — 1 million children lost their homes during that foreclosure crisis.
And at its core, my connection to that case was about challenging the banks for being accountable for their conduct.
The $12 billion I worked together — that was one of the last things I did in the Senate — working with my colleagues in the Senate to get that $12 billion into that bill, knowing the incredible relationship that our community banks — the fancy word is CDFIs; I call them community banks — that community banks have with our small businesses.
And when we then think about all of this in connection with the American Rescue Plan and the American Jobs Plan, which are designed to lift up our economy and to lift up the drivers of our economy, understanding that half of America’s workforce works for a small business or runs a small business. So the connections are clear.
And so my work on CDFIs is really motivated by what I do believe are the success stories of America in terms of who is contributing to the lifeblood of communities, and in particular, the economic lifeblood of the communities.
And so the work that we’ve been doing — I’ve been, you know, really doing a lot of work with various CDFIs around the country — community banks — to see how with that $12 billion dollars, Congresswoman, we can really lift up these businesses around access to capital. Because it is both in terms of that initial investment, as you described, Reign. It is also so many — in particular about minority- and women-owned businesses. They need — they have an idea to grow and need someone to believe in them, to not only help them create a business, but then to grow that business, along with, as you described, the technical assistance; along with giving folks an infrastructure.
I recently had a conversation with a CDFI in South Dakota, who was particularly focused on Tribal and Native businesses and folks, and being able to talk culturally with people. So that CDFI in particular knew that there were a lot of folks who — who had bad credit because they’d been receiving bad advice.
And again, they want to — they want to do better. But if you walk into a financial institution and feel you’re being judged, you’re likely to walk out without receiving the help that might be available.
And that’s the other benefit and strength of our community banks. And the community banks are in the community. Community banks are going to know and say, “Ah, you can’t afford that house. Get out of here.” (Laughter.) And they’re going to say, “You know — and, Mary, that is a great business. And we be believe in you, and…”
But there’s a certain connection with the folks that is not about the money; it’s about growing the community and the economy of that community.
So I’m really pleased and happy to be here. And thank you for that. And with that, I’m privileged to introduce the Senator — one of the senators from the great state of California, Alex Padilla.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Las Vegas Raiders Running Back Josh Jacobs And Richie Incognito Still Injured By Eric Pangilinan September 24, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders ESPN Named QB Derek Carr The Most Underappreciated In The NFL By Eric Pangilinan September 24, 2021
- Frank Somerville Of KTVU Suspended For Gabby Petito Social Media Comments He Told Blogger Richard Lieberman September 24, 2021
- Cam Jordan on Mac Jones, Belichick’s Offense | New Orleans Saints September 24, 2021
- Jameis Winston on Sean Payton & Bill Belichick | New Orleans Saints September 24, 2021
- Coach Gruden on Final Prep for Miami and Richie Incognito’s Progress | Las Vegas Raiders | NFL September 24, 2021
- Leyton CES 2022 Challenge September 24, 2021
- Are Oakland A’s Baseball Fans Voting NO to Dave Kaval and Organization by Derrick Soo September 24, 2021
- Jake Ellenbogen LA Rams Vlogger At Downtown Rams Interviewed By Zennie62Media’s Bill Carroll September 24, 2021
- Are Oakland Baseball Fans Voting NO to Dave Kaval and Organization by Derrick Soo September 24, 2021
- Deshaun Watson – 60 Percent Of The Tony Buzbee Lawsuits Look Fake – Here’s Why September 24, 2021
- When will the Dolphins make their big push for Deshaun Watson? | Pro Football Talk | NBC Sports September 24, 2021
- Bike Oakland & Alameda: Solstice Art ride (Oyster Bay, Airport, Bay Farm) September 24, 2021
- Deshaun Watson Remains Committed to Forcing His Way out of Houston | THE ODD COUPLE September 24, 2021
- Christian McCaffrey Injury Status – Panthers Matt Rhule Gives Injury Update After Win Over Texans September 24, 2021
- Oakland A’s Dave Stewart Wants To Own Coliseum Land, But Blasts Councilmember Kaplan On Twitter September 24, 2021
- Oakland Hit With Lawsuit for Failure to Clean Up Homeless Camps September 24, 2021
- Readout of Biden Administration Convening to Discuss and Address Semiconductor Supply Chain September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Vs Dolphins Won’t Be Aired On Some Tv Market In California By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Defense Is The Key To Victory In Week By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- RecallOakland.com Website For Stupid Idea Recalling Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf Months Before She’s Termed Out September 23, 2021
- Nintendo Reveals Cast For The Mario Movie in 2022. Yes This Is Real, By: Vinny Lospinuso September 23, 2021
- BREAKING: Arrest Warrant Issued for Brian Laundrie in Gabby Petito’s Death September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Tom Flores To Receive Hall Of Fame Ring At Allegiant Stadium By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- Justin Fields First NFL Start Will Come Against The Browns | Pat McAfee Reacts September 23, 2021
- Coach Bradley, Coach Olson, Denzel Perryman and Kenyan Drake Presser – 9.23.21 | Las Vegas Raiders September 23, 2021
- Supermodel Linda Evangelista Has Been “Brutally Disfigured” by Procedure Done 5 Years Ago | PEOPLE September 23, 2021
- Author Jameis1of1 Talks About Jameis Winston And Gives Thoughts On Pats vs Saints Game September 23, 2021
- Kate Scott | Kate Scott Is Philadelphia’s First Female Sports Broadcaster – That’s No Accident – Here’s Why September 23, 2021
- Mom Gets Surprise Giant Gift Box From Rocket Mortgage Sent Via UPS September 23, 2021
- How U.C. Berkeley Beat Harvard And Yale To Become The Best College In America | Forbes September 23, 2021
- Judge Orders UC Berkeley To Freeze Enrollment After Neighborhood Group Sues September 23, 2021
- Save 1921 Walnut St. Berkeley – Tenants Protest Demolition, UC Berkeley, Mayor Jesse Arreguin Actions September 23, 2021
- 30 Weirdest Things Ever Caught On Security Cameras & CCTV ! September 23, 2021
- The Raiders Are LETHAL With Derek Carr and Jon Gruden in Sync | Tiki and Tierney September 23, 2021
- Melvin Van Peebles on Bill Cosby Allegations; Being a Pioneer September 23, 2021
- Unstoppable: Melvin Van Peebles, Gordon Parks, and Ossie Davis in Conversation (2005) September 23, 2021
- Groundbreaking Filmmaker Melvin Van Peebles Has Died September 23, 2021
- R.I.P Mario Van Peebles Dad, Speaks On How His Father Melvin Van Peebles Died September 23, 2021
- 2021 09 21 Meeting with DSP UC Berkeley Students with Disabilities Coalition PART 2 September 23, 2021