Velodyne Lidar Introduces Next-Generation Velabit™ Sensor. Velabit Makes 3D Lidar Available for Safety-Critical Applications
Velodyne Lidar, Inc. (Nasdaq: VLDR, VLDRW) today introduced the next generation of its Velabit™ sensor, which addresses the cost, safety, and design challenges of autonomous solutions while delivering state-of-the-art performance. Equipped with Velodyne’s breakthrough proprietary micro-lidar array architecture (MLA), the Velabit delivers on what Velodyne customers asked for – an ultra-wide field of view (FoV) and higher resolution.
The solid-state Velabit sensor now has a simultaneously achievable maximum horizontal FoV of 90° and maximum vertical FOV of 70°, approximately three times more points per second than the previous model. The next generation Velabit takes all of Velodyne’s learnings to offer a configurable and dynamic field of view and delivers a high-resolution zoom capability, all within a compact and lightweight sensor.
“With our next-generation Velabit, Velodyne continues to innovate with a sensor that has small size for sleek, stylish integration while delivering high-quality performance,” said Anand Gopalan, CEO, Velodyne Lidar. “Our dedicated engineering team worked to bring our customers’ needs to life in under a year, highlighting our commitment to meeting market demands. And our goal is to not only meet market demands but transform lives globally. We believe this sensor will democratize lidar-based safety and autonomy across many different industries.”
This lightweight and versatile Velabit sensor features a small form factor and low power consumption to maximize battery life and vehicle range. The small size and low cost allow the sensor the unique ability to be utilized in multiple industries and for critical safety applications, such as:
Automotive and new mobility
Autonomous mobile robots
Industrial forklift and warehouse
Infrastructure and smart city
Sidewalk and last-mile delivery
UAV mapping and navigation
Engineered to be an optimal automotive-grade lidar solution for Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) and autonomous vehicles, Velabit can fill sensing gaps, helping automakers achieve full coverage around a vehicle. The sensor enables robust perception coverage for ADAS features including Blind-Spot Monitoring, Cross-Traffic Detection, and Pedestrian Automatic Emergency Braking (PAEB). Additionally, the wide vertical field of view makes this an ideal technology for near-field sensing and robotics applications.
Software + Hardware Integration
Velabit will be combined with Velodyne’s lidar-based perception software, Vella™, to streamline customer’s projects and advance a broad spectrum of vehicle safety functions. The software translates Velabit’s high-quality point cloud data into valuable perception outputs, including object classification and tracking, obstacle detection, scene segmentation, and object velocity, that can be readily utilized by vehicle systems. When combined with vehicle odometry data, Vella provides time and distance to collision measurements, enabling safer vehicle response.
The sensor can also be combined with other Velodyne lidar technologies, such as the Velarray H800™, for high-speed operation or function as a standalone lidar solution in low-speed applications.
Designed for Mass Production
In combination with MLA, Velodyne’s fully automated manufacturing process and global manufacturing partnerships enable cost optimization and high-quality mass production, as early as Q4 2022.
Since its launch, Velabit has received widespread industry acclaim, including being named a winner in the 2020 Best of What’s New awards by Popular Science. The sensor also was named the winner of the 2020 Innovation Award by Silicon Valley Robotics.
Key Velodyne customers and other top global innovators in automotive and robotics technology are scheduled to attend Velodyne’s upcoming Velabit Demo Days to witness the Velabit in action, and will have an opportunity to reserve future capacity.
About Velodyne Lidar
Velodyne Lidar (Nasdaq: VLDR, VLDRW) ushered in a new era of autonomous technology with the invention of real-time surround view lidar sensors. Velodyne, the global leader in lidar, is known for its broad portfolio of breakthrough lidar technologies. Velodyne’s revolutionary sensor and software solutions provide flexibility, quality and performance to meet the needs of a wide range of industries, including autonomous vehicles, advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS), robotics, unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV), smart cities and security. Through continuous innovation, Velodyne strives to transform lives and communities by advancing safer mobility for all. For more information, visit www.velodynelidar.com.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains “forward looking statements” within the meaning of the “safe harbor” provisions of the United States Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 including, without limitation, all statements other than historical fact and include, without limitation, statements regarding Velodyne’s target markets, new products, development efforts, competition. When used in this press release, the words “estimates,” “projected,” “expects,” “anticipates,” “forecasts,” “plans,” “intends,” “believes,” “seeks,” “may,” “will,” “can,” “should,” “future,” “propose” and variations of these words or similar expressions (or the negative versions of such words or expressions) are intended to identify forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements are not guarantees of future performance, conditions or results and involve a number of known and unknown risks, uncertainties, assumptions and other important factors, many of which are outside Velodyne’s control, that could cause actual results or outcomes to differ materially from those discussed in the forward-looking statements. Important factors, among others, that may affect actual results or outcomes include uncertainties regarding government regulation and adoption of lidar, the uncertain impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on Velodyne’s and its customers’ businesses; Velodyne’s ability to manage growth; Velodyne’s ability to execute its business plan; uncertainties related to the ability of Velodyne’s customers to commercialize their products and the ultimate market acceptance of these products; the rate and degree of market acceptance of Velodyne’s products; the success of other competing lidar and sensor-related products and services that exist or may become available; uncertainties related to Velodyne’s current litigation and potential litigation involving Velodyne or the validity or enforceability of Velodyne’s intellectual property; and general economic and market conditions impacting demand for Velodyne’s products and services. Velodyne undertakes no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, except as required by law.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- MLB LIVE: Los Angeles Dodgers vs Atlanta Braves Live stream – Braves vs Dodgers Live October 19, 2021
- Raiders Rumors & News On Trade Clelin Ferrell, Derek Carr & Josh Jacobs + 2021 NFL Trade Candidates October 19, 2021
- Cal Football: Jake Tonges Press Conference (10.19.21) October 19, 2021
- Cal Football: Femi Oladejo Press Conference (10.19.21) October 19, 2021
- Cal Football: Justin Wilcox Press Conference (10.19.21) October 19, 2021
- Robert Bob Hamilton Oakland, Commercial Real Estate And Friend To Many, Died October 9th October 19, 2021
- All Passengers, Crew Safe After Plane Crashes In Texas Field October 19, 2021
- Why Vish was So Impressed with 49ers QB Trey Lance’s First Start October 19, 2021
- San Francisco 49ers News & Rumors On DeForest Buckner, 49ers Injury Report, Trade Candidates | Q&A October 19, 2021
- MINOR LEAGUE PLAYERS HAVE A PLACE TO LIVE || Starting 9 October 19, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Maxx Crosby Early Candidate For Defense Player Of The Year By Eric Pangilinan October 19, 2021
- San Francisco, Tourism Industry Offer Cash Rewards To Stop Auto Burglary Fencing Operations October 19, 2021
- 882 Alma Pl, Oakland, CA, 94610 October 19, 2021
- Joel Embiid press conference after Ben Simmons was suspended during Sixers practice October 19, 2021
- The Offset Jim Interview: Coming Up in Oakland, Rich Off The Pack, Moving to NYC & More October 19, 2021
- CBS Correspondent Takes a Flying Car Up for a Spin October 19, 2021
- Meet Maxx Crosby’s Rescue Pit Bulls | Episode 2 | Crosby’s Crib | Raiders | NFL October 19, 2021
- TikTok star robbed at gunpoint in San Francisco October 19, 2021
- Top 15 Plays of Week 6 | NFL 2021 Highlights October 19, 2021
- Google Event 2021 Reaction: Pixel 6 Pro Launch October 19, 2021
- All-Access with the Golden State Warriors Veterans October 19, 2021
- Neighbor rescues man from burning home in San Francisco October 19, 2021
- The 1991 Oakland Hills Fire October 19, 2021
- Seahawks Trade Rumors: 4 Players Who Could Get Dealt Before The NFL Trade Deadline Ft. Quandre Diggs October 19, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders My Apology Amari Cooper Didn’t Say Jon Gruden Was A Racist By Eric Pangilinan October 19, 2021
- Lake Merritt is a large tidal lagoon in the center of Oakland, California, just east of Downtown October 19, 2021
- Red Sox Fans Troll A Rod With Savage Bennifer Chants At MLB Playoffs… October 19, 2021
- CBS San Francisco: Residents Are So Upset With Crime They Are Hiring Private Security October 19, 2021
- Astros vs. Red Sox ALCS Game 3 Highlights (10/18/21) | MLB Highlights October 19, 2021
- Yet Another Bank of America, SBA EIDL Horror Story Sent For Blogging October 19, 2021