The jail and courthouse that’s planned for the Oakland Raiders Las Vegas NFL stadium might be the right thing to have considering what should be the criminal act of allowing a stadium hotel tax rate that’s not large enough to cover bond debt, thus eventually soaking Clark County taxpayers with paying for the shortfall.
There is no excuse for allowing hundreds of Clark County, Nevada school employees and teachers to be laid off just to build a new football stadium, and in a city who’s very culture centers around flashing cash.
The problem posed by the giant $750 million subsidy that Oakland Raiders Owner Mark Davis and Las Vegas Sands Founder Sheldon Adelson insisted on having was known to politicians and consultants from the start of talks in early 2016 and during the meetings of the Southern Nevada Tourism and Infrastructure Committee (SNTIC).
Rather than stick with a smaller stadium subsidy of $550 million or have a stadium hotel tax rate of 1 percent, as the consultants suggested, elected officials from the Governor of Nevada Brian Sandoval to Clark County Commission Chair Steve Sisolak insisted on the higher subsidy number and the lower tax rate.
The consultants were even told by Sisolak that it wasn’t their proposal in the first place, so the lower $550 million subsidy should be removed from plans and the $750 million mark, the focus.
Then, in an effort to placate the Nevada Legislature, a stadium hotel tax rate of less than one percent was asked for by the same elected officials – first as low as 7-tenths of one percent, then eventually set at 88-100ths of one percent. And, according to Jeremy Arguelo, the staff for the Las Vegas Stadium Authority and once one of the SNTIC consultants, that will not be changed:
The SNTIC consultants used a too-low-bond-interest-rate of two percent in their spreadsheet presentation charts combined with a rosy picture of future Las Vegas hotel revenue growth to give the impression that bond debt could be paid for, when in reality an interest rate at or near three percent put the bond debt over the mark of affordability for the stadium hotel tax rate the politicians insisted on.
Now, the stadium hotel tax revenue is short of the bond debt, the Las Vegas economy is sufferring a visitor shortfall not forceen by the consultants, Clark County’s General Fund will feel the difference, and the school system’s General Fund-dependant finances will constinue to be gutted, all while a giant party goes on in that new stadium in the near future.
That stadium jail and courthouse was a good idea – Clark County taxpayers may wind up putting the elected officials who pushed for this failed financing plan in it.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Saints At Panthers – Will Jameis Winston Run Sean Payton’s Mike Martz Passing Approach? September 19, 2021
- Raiders vs Steelers Game Betting Prediction – Take Pittsburgh Give Points To Las Vegas September 19, 2021
- Oakland School For The Arts 8th Grade Promotion 2021 September 19, 2021
- Oakland School For The Arts Class 2021 Graduation September 19, 2021
- Twenty-Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time – Mass at Our Lady of Lourdes – Oakland – September 12th, 2021 September 19, 2021
- Best Nursing Schools in Oakland, California, United States September 19, 2021
- #1 Alabama vs #11 Florida: Extended Highlights | CBS Sports HQ September 19, 2021
- Nick Saban talks Alabama’s win vs. Florida | ESPN College Football September 19, 2021
- UCLA vs. Fresno State Postgame Press Conference After Upset Loss To Fresno State September 19, 2021
- Fresno State stuns No. 13 UCLA after an unforgettable fourth quarter September 19, 2021
- Ben Bartlett Berkeley City Council Member on “Democracy and Defending our Civil Rights” September 19, 2021
- Berkeley’s Homeless Crisis with Ben Bartlett Berkeley City Council Member September 19, 2021
- Supervisor Damon Connolly Marin County Expresses Support For The LGBTQ Community September 19, 2021
- Damon Connolly wishes CMCM a Happy 10th Anniversary! September 19, 2021
- Damon Connolly Marin County Supervisor On Priced Out Podcast September 19, 2021
- SoFi Stadium Tour in Los Angeles: Home of the Rams and Chargers September 19, 2021
- 1783 11th Street Oakland, CA 94607-1435 September 19, 2021
- Los Angeles Angels vs Oakland Athletics Highlights September 18, 2021 – MLB Highlights | MLB 2021 September 19, 2021
- What’s New In iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 Pro By iJustine September 19, 2021
- Breaking Vegas News – Las Vegas Raiders Ticket Prices Crash – Vaccine Rules to Blame? September 19, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Promote Running Back Trey Ragas To The Active Roster By Eric Pangilinan September 18, 2021
- Zennie62 NFL 2021 Season Game Predictions For Week 2 – Livestream Show September 18, 2021
- Neighborhood Tours in Fayetteville GA off Goza Rd September 18, 2021
- 384 Bellevue Ave Home For Sale In Adams Point, Lake Merritt, Oakland September 18, 2021
- Inspiration4 Dragon Side Hatch Open, Crew Comes Out After Splashdown September 18, 2021