UC Berkeley recipients of the Noble Prize will not be receiving the awards from the King as usual.
Berkeley (The Berkeley Post) – The King of Sweden, for the first time since WWII, will not be handing out medals or diplomas to this years winners of The Nobel Prize. That includes UC Berkeley professors Jennifer Doudna and Reinhard Genzel.
COVID-19 has forced the Nobel Committees to deliver the medals to winners homes, with just immediate family and consular or embassy officials in attendance.
The downside is that winners and their families and colleagues will forego the ceremony, including concerts and parties. The upside is that the entire world can participate this year via streaming video. Berkeley is proud to have more winners again this year.
Councilmember Ben Bartlett (District 3) says, “I’m proud of UC Berkeley for producing Nobel prize winners. Berkekey is proud to have UCB in our city.”
Jennifer Doudna And Reinhard Genzel And Why They Won The 2020 Nobel Prize In Their Fields
UC Berkeley biochemist Jennifer Doudna, working with her colleague Emmanuelle Charpentier, won the 2020 Nobel Prize in Chemistry, and for the co-development of something called CRISPR-Cas9. CRISPR-Cas9 is a revolutionary gene-editing tool adapted from a naturally occurring genome editing system in bacteria, and that allows scientists to rewrite DNA.
Reinhard Genzel is a UC Berkeley professor emeritus of physics and of astronomy and director of the Max Planck Institute for Extraterrestrial Physics in Garching, Germany. He’s sharing his Nobel Prize in physics with UCLA professor Andrea Ghez “for the discovery of a supermassive compact object at the center of our galaxy.”
Oakland News Now Related Posts
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Rep Liz Chaney Speech On House Floor On Eve Of Vote To Oust Her From House GOP Leadership
- Las Vegas Raiders New Number Changers For 2021 Season. By Joseph Armendariz
- May 11, 2021
- Livestream: Blame To Go Around In Oakland A’s Relocation Threat? Start With Oakland Athletics
- MLB Ask Oakland Athletics To Threaten Relocation – Oakland City Council’s Progressive Wing Steps In
- Live: Dr. Fauci Testifies At Senate Hearing On Covid-19 Response | NBC News
- Watching Amanda Gorman Keynote At Professional Business Woman California Conference 2021
- Ben Barlett Berkeley Councilmember Meetings On Traffic, Fire Safety This Week
- Ultra Black News | Ahmed Muhammad | Oakland Tech’s First Black Male Valedictorian
- Asian American Attacks: Couple Dragged In Brazen Parking Lot Robbery In Oakland
- 5 7 2021 Auto Accident Hit N Run Oakland East 14th & 2nd
- Zennie62 YouTube At 2008 DNC Convention, United Airlines Flight To Denver, Meeting Ashley Wolfe Long
- Kenny Mayne: ESPN Tried To Keep Kenny Mayne For Less But He Said No – No Tears Here
- Andrew Peterson Oakland CIO Gets Harari Conscious Leadership And Social Innovation Award
- Oakland Councilmember Sheng Thao And Oakland Mutual Aid Collective Will Distribute PPE Kits To Students May 11th
- Ca Governor Gavin Newsom’s $100 Billion Rental Assistance Plan Debut With Oakland Mayor Schaff
- Governor Newsom Unveils his Economic Recovery Package
- Tim Sullivan Of Louisville Courier Journal Ambush Marketing In-And-Out Burger On CNN?
- Rotary Club Of Oakland Features Gary Meyer On The Oscars May 06 2021
- Resurrection Oakland Church | May 9, 2021. 10am