This is a response to a Facebook Post-turned Oakland News Now blog post on Al Attles III’s view that social media is responsible for social dysfunction.
Maybe the answer to the anguished question posed by Al Attles III is to have him help organize a Bay Area-specific forum that can draw together any number of local luminaries who are willing to carry this discussion about the cause and cure for our regional dysfunctionality to its natural conclusion, as opposed to something like a march to end hunger or homelessness.
Those kinds of efforts are commendable, but it seems like once the march is over, everyone goes home and it’s back to business again with not a lot to show for it in terms of followthrough and hands-on, long-term solutions.
Yes, this is obviously a national – worldwide, actually! – problem, but, uniquely, we here in the Bay Area have the means and the will to wrap our arms around it first right here in “The Strongest Regional Economy on the World” and, if successful, serve as a model for other areas of the country where the burden of fear, hostility, inequity, and every other rotten aspect of our current state of affairs is an all-too-obvious detriment to a stable and flourishing financial system.
How can the Bay Area be the Strongest anything with such a long list of seemingly solutionless problems overflowing into our streets?
Do our revered Bay Area sports stars – even a few of those who might have not performed as well as we wanted in a critical game or two – have the ability to convene such a region-wide forum, and by doing so, ensure that enough powerful leaders, executives, decisionmakers, authorities and others whose opinions matter will attend and agree to help afterward with the implementation steps that must result from such a convention?
Such leaders, executives, etc., are, after all, the very individuals who, taken altogether, are responsible for the status of today’s Bay Area, skillfully guiding us to the point where we can lay claim to that “Strongest in the World” title; and it’d be great, timely and appropriate if they could act in concert to make such a remarkable claim even stronger!
Figuring out some truly basic steps in the direction of an evolved economy, one that doesn’t breed or need homeless populations, uneducated kids with little hope and no future, rampant poverty and so many other failings of our current system shouldn’t be that difficult with the copious resources and intellectual access we have to draw upon – and must utilize soon if we wish to avoid being sucked into the oligarchy that otherwise awaits us…
I can think of no other group of people as respected as our prominent Bay Area Hall of Famers who could draw, coax or commend such a group of decisionmekers into such a summit, especially now as the prospect of a more centrally-managed Bay Area metropolitan region comes increasingly into focus, with a system of more humanistic principles needed to provide smarter, more holistic growth.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Home For Sale At 6690 Outlook Ave Oakland, CA 94605 September 28, 2021
- John Guillory Stars In What Happened to the Black People in Oakland? Part One September 28, 2021
- The Optimistic Oakland A’s Report – 09.26.21 September 28, 2021
- FISHER BLOCK PARTY – Oakland 2021 – 4K September 28, 2021
- Fisher block party (Oakland) 9/25/21 September 28, 2021
- Fisher Block Party Oakland Live Technomusic Experience September 28, 2021
- Britney Spears’ Dad Allegedly Bugged Her Phone and Home September 27, 2021
- Why Jamie Lynn Spears Isn’t As Innocent As She Claims September 27, 2021
- South Carolina Earthquakes – Dr Wendy Rocks Explains Why They Happened Today September 27, 2021
- Parents deny involvement in Brian Laundrie’s disappearance as FBI continues search September 27, 2021
- Howard Terminal Update – Oakland Doesn’t Need Alameda County For TIF, Loren Taylor Town Hall Tonight September 27, 2021
- Coach Gruden Presser | 9.27.21 | Las Vegas Raiders September 27, 2021
- Bay Area Transparency Clashes With Oakland Police At Public Works Annex, Again September 27, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Is QB Derek Carr Leading In The MVP Race Right Now? By Eric Pangilinan September 27, 2021
- Oakland Police YouTube Video – Meet Deputy Chief Drennon Lindsey September 27, 2021
- KTVU’s Dave Clark Reports Sideshow Draws 70 Spectators in Oakland September 27, 2021
- Oakland Dynamites (8U) Big Play Highlights – 09.25.21 September 27, 2021
- With Double Slaying Sunday, Oakland Marks 102 Homicides So Far in 2021 September 27, 2021
- Rapper R Kelly Guilty Of Racketeering Sex Trafficking And Assault Expected To Get Decades In Jail September 27, 2021
- South Carolina Earthquake Today | Magnitude 3.1 earthquake Near Summerville, North Charleston September 27, 2021
- Crete earthquake – Brit tourists terrified as mag-6 quake rocks Greek island September 27, 2021
- WorldView: Earthquake hits Greece; Volcano erupts in Spain’s Canary Islands September 27, 2021
- Magnitude 5.8 earthquake strikes the Greek island of Crete September 27, 2021
- Beck Bennett Leaves SNL Saturday Night Live After Historic 2020, 8 Years – Check His Instagram Page September 27, 2021
- Here’s where Dog the Bounty Hunter thinks Brian Laundrie is September 27, 2021