The City of Oakland is taking on a proposal to sell property located, as the note goes “on Derby Ave at E15th, which is about two blocks from Fruitvale and International and two blocks from the Caesar Chavez campus”, according to Oakland Schools advocate Mike Hutchinson. (And who I interviewed when he ran for Oakland School Unified School District School Board District Five, below.)
Mike, who represents OPEN Oakland Public Education Network, issued this letter asking you to attend the Oakland City Council Community and Economic Development Committee Meeting today at 1:30 PM. Here’s what he wrote:
The city council is considering selling a parcel of land for $450,000 to an out of state developer so a new 625 student charter school can be built.
The developer already owns 2 parcels of land and “needs” the adjoining city owned parcel in order to build a 3 story charter school for 625 k-8 students. The parcel is located on Derby Ave at E15th, which is about two blocks from Fruitvale and International and two blocks from the Caesar Chavez campus which contains 2 public schools (Think College Now and International Community School).
Charter schools are not public schools, in fact charter schools are competitors of public schools. For every student that goes to a charter school OUSD (the public schools) loses money. A 625 student charter school would cause a $7 million a year loss to OUSD. The impact would be must acute on the Caesar Chavez campus, one of our signature campuses, where the loss of enrollment could have dire consequences.
The proposed sale will also greatly disrupt the neighborhood for residents, local businesses, and their patrons. With 700 people coming and going from a school built on a dead end street 1 block from International and 2 blocks from Fruitvale it will greatly exasperate the area’s problems with traffic and lack of parking.
The community is not asking for a new school and both OUSD and an Alameda Grand Jury Reports state that Oakland has too many schools. Plus a charter school is not even accessible to the community. Selling this public property not only won’t produce public good, it will actually create public harm to local residents, small businesses, and public schools.
Thankfully this land sale and project can still be stopped. Tuesday (today) at 1:30pm the city council’s Community and Economic Development Committee will discuss this sale. If they approve it it will come before the full city council for a final vote, probably in the next month. We must demand that the city council vote no on this sale of what they’re calling the Derby Parcel.
If you support public education then you should be against this sale.
If you believe that public land should be used for public good then you should be against this sale.
If you believe public land should be used to alleviate the housing crisis then you should be against this sale.
If you don’t believe that out of state developers should be able to dictate how our communities look then you should be against this sale.
If you believe that any decisions about public land sale and development should come only after it’s informed by a robust and authentic community engagement process then you should be against this sale.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- RecallOakland.com Website For Stupid Idea Of Recalling Mayor Schaaf Months Before She’s Termed Out September 23, 2021
- Nintendo Reveals Cast For The Mario Movie in 2022. Yes This Is Real, By: Vinny Lospinuso September 23, 2021
- BREAKING: Arrest Warrant Issued for Brian Laundrie in Gabby Petito’s Death September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Tom Flores To Receive Hall Of Fame Ring At Allegiant Stadium By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- Justin Fields First NFL Start Will Come Against The Browns | Pat McAfee Reacts September 23, 2021
- Coach Bradley, Coach Olson, Denzel Perryman and Kenyan Drake Presser – 9.23.21 | Las Vegas Raiders September 23, 2021
- Supermodel Linda Evangelista Has Been “Brutally Disfigured” by Procedure Done 5 Years Ago | PEOPLE September 23, 2021
- Author Jameis1of1 Talks About Jameis Winston And Gives Thoughts On Pats vs Saints Game September 23, 2021
- Kate Scott Is Philadelphia’s First Female Sports Broadcaster – That’s No Accident – Here’s Why September 23, 2021
- Mom Gets Surprise Giant Gift Box From Rocket Mortgage Sent Via UPS September 23, 2021
- How U.C. Berkeley Beat Harvard And Yale To Become The Best College In America | Forbes September 23, 2021
- Judge Orders UC Berkeley To Freeze Enrollment After Neighborhood Group Sues September 23, 2021
- Save 1921 Walnut St. Berkeley – Tenants Protest Demolition, UC Berkeley, Mayor Jesse Arreguin Actions September 23, 2021
- 30 Weirdest Things Ever Caught On Security Cameras & CCTV ! September 23, 2021
- The Raiders Are LETHAL With Derek Carr and Jon Gruden in Sync | Tiki and Tierney September 23, 2021
- Melvin Van Peebles on Bill Cosby Allegations; Being a Pioneer September 23, 2021
- Unstoppable: Melvin Van Peebles, Gordon Parks, and Ossie Davis in Conversation (2005) September 23, 2021
- Groundbreaking Filmmaker Melvin Van Peebles Has Died September 23, 2021
- R.I.P Mario Van Peebles Dad, Speaks On How His Father Melvin Van Peebles Died September 23, 2021
- 2021 09 21 Meeting with DSP UC Berkeley Students with Disabilities Coalition PART 2 September 23, 2021
- Nobel Prize Medal Presented to UC Berkeley Chemistry Professor Jennifer Doudna at her Berkeley Home September 23, 2021
- Oakland school district votes on vaccine mandate September 23, 2021
- Lakefront Home For Sale – 195 Honey Ln Fayetteville GA 30214 September 23, 2021
- Home For Sale – Introducing, 260 Camelot Fayetteville, Georgia September 23, 2021
- Home For Sale 3800 California Street Oakland, CA | ColdwellBankerHomes.com September 23, 2021
- Oakland Officer, Suspect Wounded In Shootout; Suspect Surrenders After Tense Standoff September 23, 2021
- Weather Forecast Oakland, California ▶ Oakland weather Forecast 09/23/2021 September 23, 2021
- COVID Vaccinations: Oakland Unified School District Board Approves COVID Vaccination Mandate For Students September 23, 2021
- Oakland Unified School District Board Discusses Vaccine Mandate for Students, Staff September 23, 2021
- Woman Wanted For Pulling Gun On Chipotle Worker In Philadelphia September 23, 2021
- Go Fund Me For Raider Nation’s Black Hole Rob Rivera’s Funeral By Rachel Rivera September 23, 2021
- Gabby Petito case: Crews use new tools in the search for Brian Laundrie September 23, 2021
- Hey EBX & Hella Coastal – Brothers Brewing Co Was Oakland’s First Black Brewery, And Then There Was Pican Restaurant September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders NFL Pro football Focus Ranked Maxx Crosby Number 1 Edge Rusher By Eric Pangilinan September 22, 2021
- Raiders Steve Wisniewski Nominated For 2022 Pro Football Hall of Fame Class, By: Vinny Lospinuso September 22, 2021
- Brian Laundrie search: What led police to the Carlton Reserve? September 22, 2021
- Laundrie neighbor says she saw Brian after his return September 22, 2021
- Former Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Michael Baden On Gabby Petito’s Autopsy Findings September 22, 2021
- Oakland Athletics Unveil 2022 Season Ticket Plans and Pricing by Richard Haick September 22, 2021
- Boxing Canelo Alvarez And Caleb Plant Heated Press Conference By Eric Pangilinan September 22, 2021