To YIMBY Action’s Laura Foote: SB 50 Needs TIF For Affordable Housing
This blog post started as a Twitter exchange between myself and YIMBY Action, the advocacy group in favor of increasing housing density in San Francisco. Since it’s hard to really understand what someone is getting at in a complex policy discussion via social media, I suggested that we talk on the phone. So we did.
To my surprise, the person I was talking to wound up being Laura Foote herself. In my first interview with her and Sonja Truss, she went by “Laura Clark”, which was actually “Laura Foote Clark” but I didn’t know that – this one:
Anyway, what I was explaining to her, and have said to California State Senator Scott Weiner repeatedly, is that his SB50 legislation that aims to cause the building of dense housing and affordable housing will not work without a true financial incentive: tax increment financing. Otherwise, we will just have more high rental units and more gentrification and homelessness.
Tax Increment Financing, or TIF, works like this: an area of land in a city is selected to have its property tax collected such that their is a first year, or “base year” assessed value. Then, the estimated assessed value for each following year is subtracted from the “base year” assessed value – that difference is called the “increment” and times the tax rate gives us the tax increment financing revenue for that year.
Now, if you think about it, over a 40-year-period, that revenue stream can be used as a bond issue to finance the development of affordable housing. In fact, California did that regularly when we had California Redevelopment Law (CRL). But what I’m calling for is not CRL here, it’s very simple: amending SB50 such that the transit zone is also, automatically, a TIF zone where the money is used to finance the development of the affordable housing the SB50 law calls for.
Without that, it’s pure pie-in-the-sky to think more affordable housing will materialize only with regulation. Indeed, there are examples of developers paying their way out of compliance with current affordable housing laws in San Francisco – to think SB50 will be any different is foolish, to say the least.
There’s a dynamic borne of the 21st Century that has had a dramatic impact on real estate: the ability to invest in San Francisco buildings from anywhere in the world via the Internet and the federal EB-5 program, which gives green cards to foreign investors and their families who invest $500,000 into a US project that creates at least ten jobs.
That has not only driven financing of many real estate projects, it has served to drive up rents and make building affordable housing less desirable – why have a lower rent, when one can afford to build a mutlifamily structure that commands the highest rents? Moreover, the foreign buyers of the condominium units tend to pay with cash. The result: higher costs of living and the reduced monetary demand for housing – which is far different from the actual non-monetary demand for affordable housing. That is, a person needs a home, but can’t afford the high rent – so they’re forced onto the street or out of the region.
The answer is to have an incentive to build affordable housing in a market that’s hostile to affordable housing. The only way to do that is to have both a regulatory command and a financial incentive to meet that regulation: SB50 with TIF.
That’s the idea.
Oakland News Now Note: this post demonstrates the full and live operation of the latest version of an experimental Zennie62Media mobile media video-blogging system network – part of a new approach to the production of media. The uploaded video is from a vlogger with the Zennie62 on YouTube Partner Channel, then uploaded to and formatted automatically at the Oakland News Now site and social media pages. The objective is real-time on the scene reporting of news, interviews, observations, and happenings anywhere in the World and within seconds and not hours. We are constantly working to improve the system network coding and also seek interested content and media technology partners.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Episode 2: The Captain’s Code with Blaine Scully in Conversation with Jack Clark October 17, 2021
- Paralyzed Cal Rugby Star Walks Across Stage to Receive College Diploma October 17, 2021
- Lincoln Anniversary Concept 2021 October 17, 2021
- Lincoln Anniversary Concept – A concept car that shows how Lincoln vehicles will look in 2040 October 17, 2021
- 2022 Lincoln Zephyr Reflection – Interior and Exterior Walkaround – 2021 Shanghai motor show October 17, 2021
- Driving Downtown San Francisco | California USA [4K 60 UHD] October 17, 2021
- Former Homeless Man: San Francisco’s Approach to Homelessness Will Lead to More Homeless | Tom Wolf October 17, 2021
- Self-driving Waymo cars pile up on dead-end San Francisco street October 17, 2021
- San Francisco, Marin Counties Lift Indoor Mask Mandates in Some Settings October 17, 2021
- San Francisco threatens to fire unvaccinated city workers October 17, 2021
- NFL John Gruden Emails Football Press Conference Cold Open – SNL October 17, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Should Go After Eric Bieniemy For Head Coach By Eric Pangilinan October 17, 2021
- Daniel Craig Cameo On SNL With Rami Malek As Host – No Time To Die Stars On Saturday Night Live October 17, 2021
- Film Study: Raiders Offensive Line looks Much Improved vs Bears October 17, 2021
- Braves vs Dodgers Series Preview: #MLB #Baseball #ForTheA #Dodgers #RepeatLA #MLBPlayoffs October 16, 2021
- Stolen Vehicle Pursuit Ends With Bus Crash Into Oakland Home October 16, 2021
- James Bond No Time To Die At Cinemark 17 Fayetteville GA – Our Review Of Daniel Craig’s Classic October 16, 2021
- Best of Jordan Poole’s 2021-22 Preseason! October 16, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Marcus Mariota Activated To The Active Roster By Eric Pangilinan October 16, 2021
- Boxing Who Will Tyson Fury Fight Next? Anthony Joshua ? By Eric Pangilinan October 16, 2021
- AYS! CHAMP DEWAYNE BEAMON! NFL SURPRISES! RAIDERS PREVIEW! FREE PICKS! MLB PLAYOFFS! JOHN GRUDEN!! October 16, 2021
- Raiders Prepare for First Game Without Gruden | Vegas Nation Gameday October 16, 2021
- Paul Salata NFL Mr Irrelevant Week Founder And Great Friend Passed Away October 16, 2021
- On NFL Emails Jeff Pash, Bruce Allen Vlog By Joseph Armendariz – Setting The Record Straight, Gruden October 16, 2021
- Should The Raiders Hire Eric Bieniemy & Mike Kafka In 2022? Mike Mayock Will Also Get Fired? Q&A October 16, 2021
- Dodgers NLCS vs the Braves: Bubble Rematch for the Pennant | MLB Postseason 2021 October 16, 2021
- Red Sox vs. Astros ALCS Game 1 Highlights (10/15/21) | MLB Highlights October 16, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Would Mark Davis Promote Gus Bradley To Head Coach ? By Eric Pangilinan October 16, 2021
- Imagine the Gateway at UC Berkeley October 16, 2021
- Xanadu, Primus, A Tribute to Kings, Berkeley, CA., October 15, 2021 October 16, 2021