Oakland At-Large Councilmember Rebecca Kaplan wrote that I did not call for charges against Najari Smith to be dropped. That is not true.
Dear Councilmember Kaplan,
Thank you for sharing your concern for Mr. Najari Smith and the issues that his arrest and jailing raise about police enforcement and racial disparities in Oakland.
As you know, our community — our administration, police department, and City Council included — are all committed to equity and dismantling racism.
I share your outrage over the data you cited from the Stanford studies. As you recall, our police department intentionally partnered with Dr. Jennifer Eberhard of Stanford to shine a bright light on the reality of the challenges that remain so we can work to correct them using evidence-based practices and policies.
While we have dramatically lowered police contacts with African American residents for non-traffic stops, including pedestrians and bicyclists, we have much, much, more work to do.
We will not let up on this work until we eliminate racial disparities.
In the case of Mr. Smith, I was relieved to learn that even before you sent your first email, the District Attorney had already dismissed criminal charges connected to his resisting arrest. And before you sent your second query, the Assistant Chief of Police had already requested the dismissal of Mr. Smith’s traffic citation.
None of this, however, undoes what Mr. Smith felt or experienced while arrested and jailed. Representatives from my office and the police department connected with Mr. Smith and members of his bicycling community to begin the process of healing this trauma, creating new understandings, and reviewing policies that impact all stakeholders.
We are scheduling discussions regarding:
Encouraging positive management of group bicycle rides, whether permitted or unpermitted.
Review of OPD stop data for lessons and recommendations relevant to bicycling
We are also actively engaged in securing grant resources for community organizations like the Scraper Bike Team so they can actively participate in policy development.
I also want to address the issue of mayoral authority you raised in your correspondence. In your email you wrote, “Apparently, the Mayor, the Administrator, and the Chief of Police all have authority to drop it. PLEASE do so.”
Under the laws of our justice system, neither the mayor nor the city administrator hold the legal authority to “drop” cases from prosecution. Only the District Attorney can make that decision for a criminal violation, such as resisting arrest.
For Mr. Smith’s traffic citation, the police department can request that the traffic court dismiss the citation – which is exactly what the Assistant Chief did – but the court is not required to uphold the request.
I remain committed to working with you and our community to proactively change the systems that create unjust stops and arrests, and build new systems that lead toward equitable outcomes for all our residents.
Thank you again for your concern in this matter. I am also grateful for your larger commitment to equity and fairness for all residents of Oakland.
Let’s continue to work together to undo the causes of racial injustice.
Mayor Libby Schaaf
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Las Vegas Raiders ESPN Named QB Derek Carr The Most Underappreciated In The NFL By Eric Pangilinan September 24, 2021
- Frank Somerville Of KTVU Suspended For Gabby Petito Comments He Told Blogger Richard Lieberman September 24, 2021
- Cam Jordan on Mac Jones, Belichick’s Offense | New Orleans Saints September 24, 2021
- Jameis Winston on Sean Payton & Bill Belichick | New Orleans Saints September 24, 2021
- Coach Gruden on Final Prep for Miami and Richie Incognito’s Progress | Las Vegas Raiders | NFL September 24, 2021
- Leyton CES 2022 Challenge September 24, 2021
- Are Oakland A’s Baseball Fans Voting NO to Dave Kaval and Organization by Derrick Soo September 24, 2021
- Jake Ellenbogen LA Rams Vlogger At Downtown Rams Interviewed By Zennie62Media’s Bill Carroll September 24, 2021
- Are Oakland Baseball Fans Voting NO to Dave Kaval and Organization by Derrick Soo September 24, 2021
- Deshaun Watson – 60 Percent Of The Tony Buzbee Lawsuits Look Fake – Here’s Why September 24, 2021
- When will the Dolphins make their big push for Deshaun Watson? | Pro Football Talk | NBC Sports September 24, 2021
- Bike Oakland & Alameda: Solstice Art ride (Oyster Bay, Airport, Bay Farm) September 24, 2021
- Deshaun Watson Remains Committed to Forcing His Way out of Houston | THE ODD COUPLE September 24, 2021
- Christian McCaffrey Injury Status – Panthers Matt Rhule Gives Injury Update After Win Over Texans September 24, 2021
- Oakland A’s Dave Stewart Wants To Own Coliseum Land, But Blasts Councilmember Kaplan On Twitter September 24, 2021
- Oakland Hit With Lawsuit for Failure to Clean Up Homeless Camps September 24, 2021
- Readout of Biden Administration Convening to Discuss and Address Semiconductor Supply Chain September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Vs Dolphins Won’t Be Aired On Some Tv Market In California By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Defense Is The Key To Victory In Week By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- RecallOakland.com Website For Stupid Idea Recalling Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf Months Before She’s Termed Out September 23, 2021
- Nintendo Reveals Cast For The Mario Movie in 2022. Yes This Is Real, By: Vinny Lospinuso September 23, 2021
- BREAKING: Arrest Warrant Issued for Brian Laundrie in Gabby Petito’s Death September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Tom Flores To Receive Hall Of Fame Ring At Allegiant Stadium By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- Justin Fields First NFL Start Will Come Against The Browns | Pat McAfee Reacts September 23, 2021
- Coach Bradley, Coach Olson, Denzel Perryman and Kenyan Drake Presser – 9.23.21 | Las Vegas Raiders September 23, 2021
- Supermodel Linda Evangelista Has Been “Brutally Disfigured” by Procedure Done 5 Years Ago | PEOPLE September 23, 2021
- Author Jameis1of1 Talks About Jameis Winston And Gives Thoughts On Pats vs Saints Game September 23, 2021
- Kate Scott Is Philadelphia’s First Female Sports Broadcaster – That’s No Accident – Here’s Why September 23, 2021
- Mom Gets Surprise Giant Gift Box From Rocket Mortgage Sent Via UPS September 23, 2021
- How U.C. Berkeley Beat Harvard And Yale To Become The Best College In America | Forbes September 23, 2021
- Judge Orders UC Berkeley To Freeze Enrollment After Neighborhood Group Sues September 23, 2021
- Save 1921 Walnut St. Berkeley – Tenants Protest Demolition, UC Berkeley, Mayor Jesse Arreguin Actions September 23, 2021
- 30 Weirdest Things Ever Caught On Security Cameras & CCTV ! September 23, 2021
- The Raiders Are LETHAL With Derek Carr and Jon Gruden in Sync | Tiki and Tierney September 23, 2021
- Melvin Van Peebles on Bill Cosby Allegations; Being a Pioneer September 23, 2021
- Unstoppable: Melvin Van Peebles, Gordon Parks, and Ossie Davis in Conversation (2005) September 23, 2021
- Groundbreaking Filmmaker Melvin Van Peebles Has Died September 23, 2021
- R.I.P Mario Van Peebles Dad, Speaks On How His Father Melvin Van Peebles Died September 23, 2021
- 2021 09 21 Meeting with DSP UC Berkeley Students with Disabilities Coalition PART 2 September 23, 2021
- Nobel Prize Medal Presented to UC Berkeley Chemistry Professor Jennifer Doudna at her Berkeley Home September 23, 2021