Note: this post on Sidewalk Café Tables in Oakland’s Glenview District is the first by Alton Jelks for Oakland News Now. Alton worked with Zennie62Media’s Zennie Abraham in the Office of Oakland Mayor Elihu Harris from 1991 to 1998, and is presently a facilitator and organizational planning consultant. You can learn more at his Linkedin Page here.
First, what other cities do on any issue of public policy is not proof that similar action is warranted for Oakland. Small businesses in Oakland have struggled for years to get anything close to the level of City attention afforded to corporations and big box stores. Walmart, however, rarely if ever builds a neighborhood; coffee shops, local markets, restaurants, gift shops, hardware stores, and yes, nails shops, do.
Second, the small businesses in Oakland’s Glenview District have been putting a few café tables next to their stores for years. Ultimate Grounds has two. Savemore Market has three. Others have some as well.
In walking the Glenview Business area almost daily, I have never seen a situation where I couldn’t pass easily. Perhaps not everyone can, for instance, someone in a wheelchair might have a problem along the route, and businesses must take care. But If there have been complaints about this, they have yet to be made public as far as I know. Perhaps someone did.
People value the quality of life available to them in the area where they live. They call it a neighborhood, and if there are shops, etc., then ambience becomes important. In general, ambience means shops look nice, create a good environment, and entice people to the neighborhood. Café tables are recognized not only in Berkeley, or San Francisco or Paris as a small step that can be taken to achieve this, but in much of Oakland as well.
Glenview is no exception.
Its $2,100 Just To Get A Permit For Cafe Tables In Oakland’s Glenview District
For the sake of argument, let’s agree that if a business wants to put tables out front, they ought to let the City know by obtaining a permit. The reason? To ensure public safety.
But in this case, the fee appears to be a mind-boggling $2100. Plus, the shop owners say they are required to hire an architect to measure the tables and sidewalk. This fee is way out of line. Perhaps $100 per table would be more appropriate. And the architect? Can’t the city staff member strolling about the neighborhood enforcing the rule bring a tape measure?
In my work, I rarely find anyone happy with bureaucracy, but they often do little about it. In this case, why would we simply allow this to happen without raising concerns about how it’s being handled, its structure, and its potential impact? It’s our neighborhood, not city hall’s, and the most affected people are the families that own the businesses. And by the way, taking any parking away in a small commercial area is clearly not a viable option. Changing this policy is.
Talk to your Oakland elected officials, and support our local businesses.
Oakland News Now Related Posts
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Fata Fut News: Today Top Trending News | 11 AM | 9 May 2021 – TV9
- New Trending Instagram Reels Videos | All Famous TikTok Star | Today Viral Insta Reels | Insta Reels
- Mount Zion Oakland Mother’s Day Church Service 2021
- Home For Sale At 9124 Lawlor St Oakland, CA
- Medina Sprit Had Steroids, May Lose Kentucky Derby Win, Trainer Bob Baffert Banned
- Jarrett Stidham Vs Mac Jones For Backup To Cam Newton In Auburn Vs Alabama Clash Of Patriots QBs
- Elon Musk Talks About Dogecoin On SNL Weekend Update But Will Market Respond?
- Elon Musk SNL Host – Dogefather Musk On Saturday Night Live Real-Time Reaction Livestream
- Nancy Sidebotham Is Running For Mayor Of Oakland In 2022 Mayoral Election – Will Talk Live May 10th
- Bay Area Transparency Vlog: Homeless Man Saved From Police In Fremont, Ca
- Teenager Knows His Rights! Bay Area Transparency Shoutout
- San Francisco California On A Rainy Day
- Hines 410 20th Street’s Paul Paradis Called Thomas Berkley, Oakland Post Publisher, Politician. No
- Elihu Harris: Who Is Former Oakland Mayor Elihu Harris? A Corrected Biography
- Crash On 8th And Henry, In West Oakland, April 24, 2021
- East Oakland Stadium Alliance Port of Oakland Feature: Voices Of Key Stakeholders
- Ms Talmera Richardson speaks at OUSD Board Meeting 2/24/21
- Tampa Bay Rays vs Oakland Athletics Highlights May 7, 2021 – MLB Highlights | MLB Season 2021
- Ford F250 on Forgiatos in Oakland California
- 2020 Ford Mustang GT Coupe Hayward Newark San Jose Oakland Pleasanton Union City