AEG, or Anschutz Entertainment Group, is the current private-sector manager of the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Complex, the current home of the Oakland A’s, Oakland Raiders, and Golden State Warriors. AEG took over this role from Spectator Management Group (SMG World) in 2012, and after a heated battle, which saw SMG protest the decision by accusing the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Joint Powers Authority of violating the Ralph M. Brown open meetings act, and blast the Coliseum JPA for deliberate misinformation. Here’s SMG’s Doug Thornton on Zennie62 on YouTube at the time:
Since that rather turbulent period, AEG Management has gone on about the business of taking care of day-to-day operations at the Coliseum without fanfare – or review. There’s no obvious, easy-to-find record of either the Coliseum JPA or the Oakland City Council and Alameda County Board of Supervisors taking a deep look at what’s going on at the Coliseum with respect to AEG Management.
That’s not to say AEG Management hasn’t given an update to the Coliseum JPA; that has been done. But that’s just an update from the point of view of AEG Management. The Coliseum JPA has not given its executive director enough staff resources to do a comprehensive review.
If Coliseum JPA Executive Director Scott McKibben had been able to do a comprehensive review of AEG, perhaps he would have been made aware of the current set of civil class-action lawsuits that have been filed against AEG Management, or the 2014 report that must be said to be damaging.
Lets take them in reverse order:
In 2014, and as the Coliseum JPA had just hired the new executive director in McKibben but still had Deena McClain in that role until he took over that summer, the Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) filed a violation complaint of “workplace safety or health violation” against AEG Management at the Oakland Coliseum. The document was filed on June 16, 2014, and the fine set at $10,450. The record shows there were three other violations described as “serious” and noted for that year, and they too had fines of just over $7,650, each.
In 2018 Tonja Fuller Bryant v. AEG Management Oakland, LLC is in the court review process and the defendant, AEG Management, has filed a motion to dismiss. According to court records, the judge’s decision on that will not take place until Tuesday, January 15, 2019. There was another similar lawsuit filed in 2017, but it was dismissed. But the question remains: what happened to cause those class-action lawsuits and why was the last one terminated.
This blogger has long held that the City of Oakland and the County of Alameda don’t take running the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum seriously. There should be one person hired by the City of Oakland, who’s responsible for sports, convention, and entertainment facilties development, operation and review, and who is able to assist the Coliseum JPA Executive Director, as needed.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Free Football Pick UCLA Bruins vs Stanford Cardinal Prediction, 9/25/2021 College Football Best Bet September 25, 2021
- Stanford Football: UCLA Motivational September 25, 2021
- Washington vs Cal 9/25/21 Free College Football Picks and Predictions Week 4 2021 September 25, 2021
- Mail thieves caught on camera in Oakland September 25, 2021
- Home For Sale – 2364 E 16th St Oakland, CA 94601 September 25, 2021
- 2018 SUBARU Outback Walnut Creek, San Francisco, Oakland, Berkeley, Vallejo J3219216 September 25, 2021
- Brian Laundrie search: INSIDE motel where Gabby Petito’s fiancé stayed after the traffic stop September 25, 2021
- Oakland Residents Starting to Inquire About Getting COVID Boosters September 25, 2021
- Houston Astros vs Oakland Athletics Highlights September 24, 2021 – MLB Highlights | MLB Season 2021 September 25, 2021
- Rep. Lauren Boebert Paid Rent, Utilities With Campaign Funds, Filing Shows September 25, 2021
- Kroger Fayetteville GA Store’s Produce Bag Dispensers Placed Too High To Reach September 25, 2021
- TOP 15 YouTube Mistakes Small YouTubers Make – Why Your Channel Isn’t Growing September 25, 2021
- Palo Alto woman accused of starting Fawn Fire allegedly had lighter in her pocket: DA September 25, 2021
- PG&E charged in Zogg Fire that killed 4 last year September 25, 2021
- The Road to 3-0, Dolphins’ Change at QB and More Storylines Heading Into Week 3 | Raiders | NFL September 25, 2021
- Shaquille O’Neal’s Credit Card was Declined at Walmart September 25, 2021
- NBA players flirting with officials September 25, 2021
- Little Italy – Standoff ends with man almost hitting pedestrians September 25, 2021
- Search for Brian Laundrie continues Saturday after false-alarm at the family house September 25, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Running Back Josh Jacobs And Richie Incognito Still Injured By Eric Pangilinan September 24, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders ESPN Named QB Derek Carr The Most Underappreciated In The NFL By Eric Pangilinan September 24, 2021
- Frank Somerville Of KTVU Suspended For Gabby Petito Social Media Comments He Told Blogger Richard Lieberman September 24, 2021
- Cam Jordan on Mac Jones, Belichick’s Offense | New Orleans Saints September 24, 2021
- Jameis Winston on Sean Payton & Bill Belichick | New Orleans Saints September 24, 2021
- Coach Gruden on Final Prep for Miami and Richie Incognito’s Progress | Las Vegas Raiders | NFL September 24, 2021