Oakland News Now – This Bad Oakland Raiders Wide Receiver Screen Play (ran versus LA Rams in today’s NFL Preseason Game) is one Jon Gruden should remove from the playbook.
The Oakland Raiders started second team quarterback Connor Cook, but gave him a terrible selection of plays to run. This play, a wide receiver screen out of a four wide receiver , one running back set, is one of those plays. It’s a true example of how many football coaches pay no attention to time / motion as a factor in football strategy.
The problem is that the quarterback (Connor Cook) is asked to fake a handoff to the running back (Chris Warren), then throw to the wide receiver who’s waiting for the pass – thus giving the defenders time to stop the play. Here, the fake handoff provides the Rams Defensive line (and in particular the defensive end on the side of the play) with the extra second needed to get into the play backfield and disrupt the pass attempt.
Removing the play fake, redesigning the routes, and allowing the quarterback to quickly throw to the receiver would solve the problem.
The question is, how did the play get into the Oakland Raiders Playbook? Well, this blogger did not recommend it to Gruden – I hate the play because it’s a staple example of copycat play use without really understanding what it does and causes the defense to do.
The play works when the offensive team is facing a slow-to-react defense – a rarity in the NFL, but common in college and high-school football.
But if you think about it, the play design is completely illogical: the defenders who would stop the play, the cornerbacks and defensive end and linebackers – are already on what is called “play-side”, or the place where the football is going to be when its thrown. Thus, faking the handoff is completely stupid. No one who needs to be fooled, is fooled.
Gruden should take this play out of the Oakland Raiders Playbook.
Oakland News Now Note: this post demonstrates the full and live operation of the latest version of an experimental mobile media video-blogging system network that’s part of a new approach to the production of media. The uploaded video is from a vlogger with the Zennie62 onYouTube Partner Channel, then uploaded to and formatted automatically at the Oakland News Now site and social media pages. The objective is real-time on the scene reporting of news, interviews, observations, and happenings anywhere in the World and within seconds and not hours. We are constantly working to improve the system network coding and also seek interested content and media technology partners.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Free Football Pick UCLA Bruins vs Stanford Cardinal Prediction, 9/25/2021 College Football Best Bet September 25, 2021
- Stanford Football: UCLA Motivational September 25, 2021
- Washington vs Cal 9/25/21 Free College Football Picks and Predictions Week 4 2021 September 25, 2021
- Mail thieves caught on camera in Oakland September 25, 2021
- Home For Sale – 2364 E 16th St Oakland, CA 94601 September 25, 2021
- 2018 SUBARU Outback Walnut Creek, San Francisco, Oakland, Berkeley, Vallejo J3219216 September 25, 2021
- Brian Laundrie search: INSIDE motel where Gabby Petito’s fiancé stayed after the traffic stop September 25, 2021
- Oakland Residents Starting to Inquire About Getting COVID Boosters September 25, 2021
- Houston Astros vs Oakland Athletics Highlights September 24, 2021 – MLB Highlights | MLB Season 2021 September 25, 2021
- Rep. Lauren Boebert Paid Rent, Utilities With Campaign Funds, Filing Shows September 25, 2021
- Kroger Fayetteville GA Store’s Produce Bag Dispensers Placed Too High To Reach September 25, 2021
- TOP 15 YouTube Mistakes Small YouTubers Make – Why Your Channel Isn’t Growing September 25, 2021
- Palo Alto woman accused of starting Fawn Fire allegedly had lighter in her pocket: DA September 25, 2021
- PG&E charged in Zogg Fire that killed 4 last year September 25, 2021
- The Road to 3-0, Dolphins’ Change at QB and More Storylines Heading Into Week 3 | Raiders | NFL September 25, 2021
- Shaquille O’Neal’s Credit Card was Declined at Walmart September 25, 2021
- NBA players flirting with officials September 25, 2021
- Little Italy – Standoff ends with man almost hitting pedestrians September 25, 2021
- Search for Brian Laundrie continues Saturday after false-alarm at the family house September 25, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Running Back Josh Jacobs And Richie Incognito Still Injured By Eric Pangilinan September 24, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders ESPN Named QB Derek Carr The Most Underappreciated In The NFL By Eric Pangilinan September 24, 2021
- Frank Somerville Of KTVU Suspended For Gabby Petito Social Media Comments He Told Blogger Richard Lieberman September 24, 2021
- Cam Jordan on Mac Jones, Belichick’s Offense | New Orleans Saints September 24, 2021
- Jameis Winston on Sean Payton & Bill Belichick | New Orleans Saints September 24, 2021
- Coach Gruden on Final Prep for Miami and Richie Incognito’s Progress | Las Vegas Raiders | NFL September 24, 2021