ONN – Think The World’s Moving Away From Coal Power? Think Again
Yeah, the news is all over that coal’s failing and renewable energy is taking its place, right? Think there’s no use for the Insight Terminal Solutions Oakland Bulk and Oversized Terminal, right?
As this Al Jazeera You Tube video reveals, nations that claim to be reducing coal use, aren’t doing that at all.
Global carbon dioxide emissions held steady for the first time in three years in 2019. The International Energy Agency says that was thanks to a switch from coal power to renewables in advanced economies.
The United Nations estimates that the world needs to reduce coal-fired electricity by two-thirds in the next 10 years, to meet the goals of the Paris climate change agreement.
Despite that our pursuit of coal is unrelenting.
Data from endcoal.org shows more than $50bn is being ploughed into coal-powered projects around the world.
China alone is contributing almost $40bn in financing projects from the United States to Australia.
And rather than scaling back on coal-powered electricity, over the last two years China has added 43 gigawatts of capacity – that is as much power produced by Germany’s power generators.
Although Germany has said it would eliminate its coal power stations, it is spending more than $1bn on projects in Greece and India.
Kai Niebert, president of the German League for Nature, Animal and Environment Protection, tells Al Jazeera that we are at a very “critical phase” from a climate perspective.
“We are entering a new era where renewables should be on the rise but we are still subsidising and financing the fossil sector.”
Shipping: The unseen polluter
The shipping industry is often referred to as the unseen polluter.
About 90 percent of world trade is transported by sea with an estimated $4 trillion worth of goods being moved every year.
The European Union believes if the industry goes unchecked, it could contribute to a fifth of emissions by 2050.
Shipping now accounts for about 3 percent of global emissions and, like the aviation industry, it is not part of the Paris accord.
“This pollution is happening pretty much at the time out in the deep sea, away from the prying eyes of the public,” Gavin Allwright, secretary of the International Windship Association, explains.
But Allwright says although shipping can be considered an unseen polluter, it moves a majority of world trade and is probably the most efficient of all the modes of transport.
Now there are initiatives under way, where batteries are being used to help power ships and wind power is being considered as an alternative.
Still turning around an industry that invests hundreds of millions of dollars in each ship is quite literally like turning around a supertanker
– Subscribe to our channel: https://ift.tt/291RaQr
– Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/AJEnglish
– Find us on Facebook: https://ift.tt/1iHo6G4
– Check our website: https://ift.tt/2lOp4tL
Note from Zennie62Media and Oakland News Now: this video-blog post demonstrates the full and live operation of the latest updated version of an experimental Zennie62Media , Inc. mobile media video-blogging system network that was launched June 2018. This is a major part of Zennie62Media , Inc.’s new and innovative approach to the production of news media. What we call “The Third Wave of Media”. The uploaded video is from a vlogger with the Zennie62 on YouTube Partner Channel, then uploaded to and formatted automatically at the Oakland News Now site and Zennie62-created and owned social media pages. The overall objective is smartphone-enabled, real-time, on the scene reporting of news, interviews, observations, and happenings anywhere in the World and within seconds and not hours. Now, news is reported with a smartphone: no heavy and expensive cameras or even a laptop are necessary. The secondary objective is faster, and very inexpensive media content news production and distribution. We have found there is a disconnect between post length and time to product and revenue generated. With this, the problem is far less, though by no means solved. Zennie62Media is constantly working to improve the system network coding and seeks interested content and media technology partners.
Related Posts (YARPP)
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Nba Time For The 76ers To Trade Ben Simmons- By Eric Pangilinan
- Maria Ayerdi Kaplan: Salesforce Transit Center Should Have Her Statue In Front Of It, Marc Beinoff
- Dave Kaval Headed Back To Las Vegas, After The Howard Terminal City Of Oakland Alameda County Fiasco
- What Atlanta 1 Step From NBA Finals 1 Year After Donald Trump, Rayshard Brooks, The Pandemic, Means
- Atlanta Hawks Shock Philadelphia 76ers 103 – 96 – Off To 2021 Eastern Conference Finals
- Louis Riddick Says Raiders Issue Always Been Defense Not Derek Carr – By Eric Pangilinan
- Boxing Errol Spence Jr Belives He Is The big Dog- By Eric Pangilinan
- Gus Bradley Putting In New Defense System For The Raiders By – Eric Pangilinan
- Philippines Orders Biggest Doese Of Covid Vaccine
- Nba Western Conference Finals Devin Booker Shines By- Eric Pangilinan
- Deep Dish Pizza – Lou Malnati’s Pizzeria Classic Style At Uptown Plaza, Phoenix, 100 E Camelback Rd
- Gus Bradley Putting In New Defense System For The Raiders By- Eric Pangilinan
- 2021 Juneteenth Shooting At Oakland Lake Merritt Shows Some Black Kids Don’t Value Black Life – Our Fault
- Juneteenth Lake Merritt Shooting: Oakland City Council’s Nikki Fortunado Bas, Carroll Fife Statement
- Kumasi Aaron Of ABC 7 At Juneteenth Jubilee Oakland, Produced By Oakland City Council’s Loren Taylor
- Juneteenth Walk Down Broadway In Oakland Brings Back Memories For Instagram Poster
- 1 dead, others injured after shots fired at Lake Merritt
- Brooklyn Loses NBA Playoffs Game 7 To Milwalkee 115 – 111 Kevin Durant Reverts To Warriors Time
- NBA Super Teams Dont Win Right Away By- Eric Pangilinan
- Kevin Durant Is God Reaction – Hits Tie Shot To Send Game 7 Vs Bucks To Overtime