The ReFund Oakland Coalition sent this press release to Zennie62Media and just a few hours before the time of the rally today.
Oakland, California – Community and labor groups in the ReFund Oakland Coalition from Oakland will rally in opposition to Mayor Libby Schaaf’s budget at City Hall on Monday, June 10, at 4 p.m.
Since 2011, the City’s own Comprehensive Annual Financial Reports have shown that general operating revenues have exceeded the budget’s projections by an average of $45 million per year. The City’s budget must by law be balanced when it is proposed and adopted, meaning that funds can’t be assigned unless they are projected to come in. Therefore, under-projecting revenues serves to starve City services. Then, when those additional funds come in, they are not already earmarked, and they get put toward pet projects.
“There are only two things wrong with this budget. It funds the wrong things, and it does so in a shady way,” said City of Oakland resident and employee, Felipe Cuevas, a heavy equipment mechanic and Oakland Chapter president of SEIU 1021, “We have had a number of years of Mayor Schaaf and City Administrator Sabrina Landreth’s budget. We know what those budgets mean for Oakland, which is more cranes in the sky and more trash in the streets.”
“For almost a decade, the City of Oakland has consistently under-projected revenue by large margins,” said IFPTE Local 21 Bargaining Team member and Oakland Revenue Operations Supervisor Nicole Welch.
“Each year, we hear the same story — that there isn’t enough money for services or to help city workers keep up with the cost of living, but each year the City closes its books with millions in extra revenues.”
“This year alone the City estimates that it has almost $40 million in surplus general purpose fund revenues. At the same time, the City budgets millions of dollars for positions that it never intends to fill and redirects those funds to special projects, increased overtime and private contractors. It’s time for the City to invest in its workforce and the critical services we provide.”
The ReFund Coalition has put forth a People’s Budget that offers a viable alternative to the artificial austerity Schaaf/Landreth budget, addressing City residents’ clearly stated priorities: in 2018, the City conducted a survey, in which residents overwhelmingly voted to address the affordable housing crisis, keep people in their homes, clean and pave the streets, and make sure that cranes in the sky aren’t looming over people sleeping under bridges.
The rally will feature speakers from community and labor groups from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m., and then attendees will join City Council and urge them to reject the practice of artificial austerity as the potholes get bigger, the streets get dirtier, and more and more residents are forced from their homes.
The ReFund Coalition includes ACCE Action, EBASE, EBHO, SEIU 1021, Street Level Health Project (SLHP), Causa Justa::Just Cause, IFPTE Local 21, Oakland Tenants Union (OTU), CURYJ, the Anti Police Terror Project (APTP) and many others.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Newsom weighs in on controversy over In-N-Out’s vaccine stance October 27, 2021
- Houston Astros with WILD 2nd inning! (Score 4 runs in chaotic fashion!) October 27, 2021
- Florida’s Manatees Are Dying in Record Numbers in 2021 Due to Food Shortage October 27, 2021
- What is COP26? October 27, 2021
- ABC 10 News San Diego KGTV Latest Headlines | October 27, 6pm October 27, 2021
- Scottie Barnes With the POSTER DUNK on Pacers 🔥 October 27, 2021
- John Salley on Will Staying with Jada After Her ‘Entanglement’ (Flashback) October 27, 2021
- Raskin: We Won’t Play ‘Hide And Seek’ With Targets Of Jan. 6 Subpoenas October 27, 2021
- Knicks @ Bulls- Thursday 10/28/21- NBA Betting Picks and Predictions | Picks & Parlays October 27, 2021
- Charlotte Hornets vs Orlando Magic – Full Game Highlights | October 27, 2021 | 2021-22 NBA Season October 27, 2021
- Why we still have daylight saving time October 27, 2021
- All-Access | 2021-2022 Warriors Opening Night at Chase Center October 27, 2021
- The Woke World Series: Leftist Hypocrites Miss a Big Opportunity | Ep 373 October 27, 2021
- Democrats’ Billionaire Tax Plan Puts About 700 People in Its Sights October 27, 2021
- Texas man could win $35.6 million if Astros win World Series October 27, 2021
- Blake Swished A Clean Over The Head Shot After The Whistle 😂 October 27, 2021
- NFL Trade Deadline: will the New England Patriots “Buy or Sell”? October 27, 2021
- GOP’s Execution System Halted In Oklahoma October 27, 2021
- Keke Palmer Says She Honored Ancestors Singing National Anthem At World Series | TMZ Sports October 27, 2021
- Brazil’s Bolsonaro could be charged for mishandling the pandemic October 27, 2021
- Nikita Dragun Wants To Educate Dave Chappelle On Transgender Community | TMZ October 27, 2021
- Look ahead to game 2 of the World Series October 27, 2021
- Deshaun Watson Trade To Miami DONE? Latest Dolphins Rumors On Acquiring The Franchise QB + Tua Talk October 27, 2021
- Law enforcement prepares to keep World Series crowds safe October 27, 2021
- World Series 2021 – Game 1 – National Anthem – Sang by Keke Palmer October 27, 2021
- Blake Griffin Does a H-O-R-S-E Shot after a call 😎 October 27, 2021
- ‘Wing-Nut Racism’: Howard Dean Crushes Ted Cruz October 27, 2021
- NFL refuses to release report on investigation of Washington Football Team October 27, 2021
- Calif. Urges Eligible Residents to Get COVID-19 Booster Shot as Holiday Season Nears October 27, 2021
- A happy rescue | Simba the lion finally home where he belongs October 27, 2021
- Call of Duty: Vanguard File Size Revealed | GameSpot News October 27, 2021
- Pat Beverley Gets Called for the New Rule Offensive Foul, Gives a Thumbs Up 👍 October 27, 2021
- JAY-Z Almost Spilled his Drink after BLAKE GRIFFIN DUNK 😂 October 27, 2021
- Travis d’Arnaud goes deep! Puts the Braves on the board in Game 2! October 27, 2021
- The soaring cost of inflation October 27, 2021
- Extreme weather events highlight U.S.’s failing infrastructure October 27, 2021
- 2021 World Series pits bitter Atlanta Braves against reviled Houston Astros October 27, 2021
- Event Marks Beginning of 100-Day Countdown to 2022 Beijing Olympics October 27, 2021
- San Diego Democratic Party pushes to ban state-sponsored horse racing October 27, 2021
- Group Helps Breast Cancer Survivors Find Adventure, Community And Inspiration October 27, 2021