ONN – The Raiders Are Stuck With Derek Carr Unless Jon Gruden Modernizes His Offense Terminology – vlog by Zennie62 YouTube
Derek Carr was regularly the focus of trade rumors on the part of the former Oakland Raiders, now Las Vegas Raiders. The reason, initially, was the Raiders 8-win, 8-loss regular season record, at a time when many had pegged the Silver and Black for a trip to the NFL Playoffs.
Within that 8-win, 8-loss regular season record was the some-times great, other times spotty play of Quarterback Derek Carr. Overall, he was 4,103 passing yards, 27 touchdowns and 9 interceptions, and rated the 12th best QB in the league.
But what happened was Deshawn Watson, the 4th rated NFL QB, was the focus of giant trade rumors due to the turmoil in the Houston Texans’ front office. And while those trade rumors are still hot, the Texans are not willing to part with their star for anything less than a king’s ransom. That, I think, caused the Raiders to take a hard look at the Quarterback Market. In that look, the Silver and Black had to realize that the number of quarterbacks trained in the Bill Walsh-style of offense were not as plentiful as they used to be.
Today, Andy Reid, Matt Nagy, Doug Pederson, Frank Reich, John Harbaugh, Jon Gruden, Kyle Shanahan, and Mike McCarthy, are the ones who’s coaching experience directly extends from the Bill Walsh – Mike Holmgren – Andy Reid, “tree”. That “tree” contains knowledge of an offensive approach that’s based on timed passes, footwork, multiple formations, motion, and shifts. The coaches all script their first 15 plays, have play-action passes designed from a running attack that consists of end runs, off-tackle runs, and end-arounds, with an occasional use of runs from the I formation. But what the Bill Walsh Offense is most known for is its long play names.
The long play names separate the expert signal callers from the newbies. Mike Sherman, once the Sherman was the Packers coach and general manager from 2000-2005. After moving on from the Packers, Sherman took two jobs with the Texans, as assistant head coach in 2006, and then offensive coordinator, in 2007.
Mike Sherman’s last NFL job was with Miami as offensive coordinator from 2012-2013, where he built an offense around former Texas A&M Quarterback Ryan Tannehill.
Sherman has said that the complex terminology is one of the drawbacks of the West Coast.
“I think it goes back to Bill Walsh,” Sherman told ChiefsWire. “We didn’t really deal a whole lot with numbers, you paint pictures with words. The one negative with the West Coast offense is that it can become quite wordy. I think coach Walsh’s philosophy was that you paint a picture of the play with the words, so if a play was complicated, it became quite wordy.”
Sherman told ChiefsWire that the wordiness of the West Coast is being phased out with the use of the no huddle offense.
“Particularly with people running the no huddle offense and what not, so I do think people are trying to cut it back,” Sherman said. “The language of the West Coast offense like, Red right tight close swap G U corner halfback flat, people try to reduce that language into three or four words, where a quarterback isn’t spending all his time trying to learn the plays and say the plays in the huddle.”
It’s that process of “people try to reduce that language into three or four words” that Gruden has not taken the time to do; he’s stuck is using the old terminology. That also may explain why the Raiders are not a big user of the no-huddle offense. But it does explain why the Raiders will not part with Derek Carr as long as Jon Gruden is the head coach.
The newer QBs in the NFL come from systems that have shorter names and are designed to go no-huddle all of the times. And certainly Urban Meyer’s new job as Jacksonville Jaguars head coach will continue to trend away from the classic Bill Walsh approach, and more toward the faster offenses of today. In a few short years, Jon Gruden’s system will be considered antiquated. If Urban Meyer gets into the playoffs, his success will hasten moves away from Walsh’s long-winded terminology.
I think John would rather not spend a lot of time retraining another quarterback when he’s dealing with a new fan base and sponsors in Las Vegas and an owner in Mark Davis’s who’s hungry for a winning franchise.
Derek Carr and John Gruden are hitched to the Raiders fortunes together, for better or worse.
Watch the vlog This stream is created with #PRISMLiveStudio.
Note from Zennie62Media’s Zennie62 YouTube and Oakland News Now Today Blog SF Bay Area: this video-blog post demonstrates the full and live operation of the latest updated version of an experimental Zennie62Media , Inc. mobile media video-blogging system network that was launched June 2018. This is a major part of Zennie62Media , Inc.’s new and innovative approach to the production of news media. What we call “The Third Wave of Media”. The uploaded video is from a vlogger with the Zennie62 on YouTube Partner Channel, then uploaded to and formatted automatically at the Oakland News Now site and Zennie62-created and owned social media pages. The overall objective is smartphone-enabled, real-time, on the scene reporting of news, interviews, observations, and happenings anywhere in the World and within seconds and not hours. Now, news is reported with a smartphone: no heavy and expensive cameras or even a laptop are necessary. The secondary objective is faster, and very inexpensive media content news production and distribution. We have found there is a disconnect between post length and time to product and revenue generated. With this, the problem is far less, though by no means solved. Zennie62Media is constantly working to improve the system network coding and seeks interested content and media technology partners.
Related Posts (YARPP)
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Nba Time For The 76ers To Trade Ben Simmons- By Eric Pangilinan
- Maria Ayerdi Kaplan: Salesforce Transit Center Should Have Her Statue In Front Of It, Marc Beinoff
- Dave Kaval Headed Back To Las Vegas, After The Howard Terminal City Of Oakland Alameda County Fiasco
- What Atlanta 1 Step From NBA Finals 1 Year After Donald Trump, Rayshard Brooks, The Pandemic, Means
- Atlanta Hawks Shock Philadelphia 76ers 103 – 96 – Off To 2021 Eastern Conference Finals
- Louis Riddick Says Raiders Issue Always Been Defense Not Derek Carr – By Eric Pangilinan
- Boxing Errol Spence Jr Belives He Is The big Dog- By Eric Pangilinan
- Gus Bradley Putting In New Defense System For The Raiders By – Eric Pangilinan
- Philippines Orders Biggest Doese Of Covid Vaccine
- Nba Western Conference Finals Devin Booker Shines By- Eric Pangilinan
- Deep Dish Pizza – Lou Malnati’s Pizzeria Classic Style At Uptown Plaza, Phoenix, 100 E Camelback Rd
- Gus Bradley Putting In New Defense System For The Raiders By- Eric Pangilinan
- 2021 Juneteenth Shooting At Oakland Lake Merritt Shows Some Black Kids Don’t Value Black Life – Our Fault
- Juneteenth Lake Merritt Shooting: Oakland City Council’s Nikki Fortunado Bas, Carroll Fife Statement
- Kumasi Aaron Of ABC 7 At Juneteenth Jubilee Oakland, Produced By Oakland City Council’s Loren Taylor
- Juneteenth Walk Down Broadway In Oakland Brings Back Memories For Instagram Poster
- 1 dead, others injured after shots fired at Lake Merritt
- Brooklyn Loses NBA Playoffs Game 7 To Milwalkee 115 – 111 Kevin Durant Reverts To Warriors Time
- NBA Super Teams Dont Win Right Away By- Eric Pangilinan
- Kevin Durant Is God Reaction – Hits Tie Shot To Send Game 7 Vs Bucks To Overtime