ONN – The Raiders Are Stuck With Derek Carr Unless Jon Gruden Modernizes His Offense Terminology – vlog by Zennie62 YouTube
Derek Carr was regularly the focus of trade rumors on the part of the former Oakland Raiders, now Las Vegas Raiders. The reason, initially, was the Raiders 8-win, 8-loss regular season record, at a time when many had pegged the Silver and Black for a trip to the NFL Playoffs.
Within that 8-win, 8-loss regular season record was the some-times great, other times spotty play of Quarterback Derek Carr. Overall, he was 4,103 passing yards, 27 touchdowns and 9 interceptions, and rated the 12th best QB in the league.
But what happened was Deshawn Watson, the 4th rated NFL QB, was the focus of giant trade rumors due to the turmoil in the Houston Texans’ front office. And while those trade rumors are still hot, the Texans are not willing to part with their star for anything less than a king’s ransom. That, I think, caused the Raiders to take a hard look at the Quarterback Market. In that look, the Silver and Black had to realize that the number of quarterbacks trained in the Bill Walsh-style of offense were not as plentiful as they used to be.
Today, Andy Reid, Matt Nagy, Doug Pederson, Frank Reich, John Harbaugh, Jon Gruden, Kyle Shanahan, and Mike McCarthy, are the ones who’s coaching experience directly extends from the Bill Walsh – Mike Holmgren – Andy Reid, “tree”. That “tree” contains knowledge of an offensive approach that’s based on timed passes, footwork, multiple formations, motion, and shifts. The coaches all script their first 15 plays, have play-action passes designed from a running attack that consists of end runs, off-tackle runs, and end-arounds, with an occasional use of runs from the I formation. But what the Bill Walsh Offense is most known for is its long play names.
The long play names separate the expert signal callers from the newbies. Mike Sherman, once the Sherman was the Packers coach and general manager from 2000-2005. After moving on from the Packers, Sherman took two jobs with the Texans, as assistant head coach in 2006, and then offensive coordinator, in 2007.
Mike Sherman’s last NFL job was with Miami as offensive coordinator from 2012-2013, where he built an offense around former Texas A&M Quarterback Ryan Tannehill.
Sherman has said that the complex terminology is one of the drawbacks of the West Coast.
“I think it goes back to Bill Walsh,” Sherman told ChiefsWire. “We didn’t really deal a whole lot with numbers, you paint pictures with words. The one negative with the West Coast offense is that it can become quite wordy. I think coach Walsh’s philosophy was that you paint a picture of the play with the words, so if a play was complicated, it became quite wordy.”
Sherman told ChiefsWire that the wordiness of the West Coast is being phased out with the use of the no huddle offense.
“Particularly with people running the no huddle offense and what not, so I do think people are trying to cut it back,” Sherman said. “The language of the West Coast offense like, Red right tight close swap G U corner halfback flat, people try to reduce that language into three or four words, where a quarterback isn’t spending all his time trying to learn the plays and say the plays in the huddle.”
It’s that process of “people try to reduce that language into three or four words” that Gruden has not taken the time to do; he’s stuck is using the old terminology. That also may explain why the Raiders are not a big user of the no-huddle offense. But it does explain why the Raiders will not part with Derek Carr as long as Jon Gruden is the head coach.
The newer QBs in the NFL come from systems that have shorter names and are designed to go no-huddle all of the times. And certainly Urban Meyer’s new job as Jacksonville Jaguars head coach will continue to trend away from the classic Bill Walsh approach, and more toward the faster offenses of today. In a few short years, Jon Gruden’s system will be considered antiquated. If Urban Meyer gets into the playoffs, his success will hasten moves away from Walsh’s long-winded terminology.
I think John would rather not spend a lot of time retraining another quarterback when he’s dealing with a new fan base and sponsors in Las Vegas and an owner in Mark Davis’s who’s hungry for a winning franchise.
Derek Carr and John Gruden are hitched to the Raiders fortunes together, for better or worse.
Watch the vlog This stream is created with #PRISMLiveStudio.
Note from Zennie62Media’s Zennie62 YouTube and Oakland News Now Today Blog SF Bay Area: this video-blog post demonstrates the full and live operation of the latest updated version of an experimental Zennie62Media , Inc. mobile media video-blogging system network that was launched June 2018. This is a major part of Zennie62Media , Inc.’s new and innovative approach to the production of news media. What we call “The Third Wave of Media”. The uploaded video is from a vlogger with the Zennie62 on YouTube Partner Channel, then uploaded to and formatted automatically at the Oakland News Now site and Zennie62-created and owned social media pages. The overall objective is smartphone-enabled, real-time, on the scene reporting of news, interviews, observations, and happenings anywhere in the World and within seconds and not hours. Now, news is reported with a smartphone: no heavy and expensive cameras or even a laptop are necessary. The secondary objective is faster, and very inexpensive media content news production and distribution. We have found there is a disconnect between post length and time to product and revenue generated. With this, the problem is far less, though by no means solved. Zennie62Media is constantly working to improve the system network coding and seeks interested content and media technology partners.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- San Francisco Tree Topples: Tree topples near San Francisco’s Japantown October 21, 2021
- Capitol Police officer: Trump supporters are being lied to October 21, 2021
- Braves vs. Dodgers NLCS Game 4 Highlights (10/20/21) | MLB Highlights October 21, 2021
- Covid Cases Rise In U.K. As Government Rejects Reimposing Restrictions October 21, 2021
- ‘Bloomberg Technology’ Full Show (10/19/2021) October 21, 2021
- We Discuss HBCU Football The NFL NBA MLB Playoffs October 21, 2021
- Simone Biles Speaks Out On Championing Mental Health October 21, 2021
- San Francisco closes an In & Out Over Vax Checks – California School Kids Safely Eat Lunch In Rain October 21, 2021
- House To Vote On Holding Steve Bannon In Contempt Of Jan. 6th Investigation October 21, 2021
- COVID-19: Prime Minister says ‘we’re in a much better position” because of the vaccine October 21, 2021
- Rep. Jayapal: We May Not Get All We Want In The Bill, But Let’s Get This Done October 21, 2021
- US surgeon general on child vaccines: Parents have been waiting for this October 21, 2021
- Liz Cheney Suggests Trump Was ‘Personally Involved’ in Jan. 6 Capitol Riot October 21, 2021
- New product announcement on October 21st 2021 | Sony | α October 21, 2021
- 5 Best New Gaming Laptops of 2021 Latest Gaming Laptops CES 2022 October 21, 2021
- John King reveals multiple sclerosis diagnosis l GMA October 21, 2021
- Celine Dion puts return to Vegas residency on hold, citing health issues l GMA October 21, 2021
- Democrats close in on compromise for Biden’s economic package October 21, 2021
- Gas explosion At Restaurant Kills At Least Three In Northeast China October 21, 2021
- #14 Coastal Carolina vs Appalachian State Football Game Highlights 10 20 2021 October 21, 2021
- Stephen Curry SLIPS In Front Of Floyd Mayweather 😳 October 21, 2021
- Charles Barkley Gives It A Go On “Who He Play For?” feat. Drew Carey | NBA on TNT October 21, 2021
- Jeh Johnson: You Cannot Have 200,000 People A Month Crossing The Border October 21, 2021
- Mike Leach asked about LSU coaching vacancy and Ed Orgeron, gives absolute awesome answer October 21, 2021
- Second storm system showering into Bay Area October 21, 2021
- NBA Picks and Predictions | Daily NBA Betting Preview | Tip-Off Show for Oct 21 October 21, 2021
- 2020 Honda Civic Sport Sale Price Lease Bay Area Oakland Alameda Hayward Fremont San Leandro CA R200 October 21, 2021
- Latest Weather Forecast October 21, 2021
- LIVE: Latest news, breaking stories and analysis on October 21 | CBSN October 21, 2021
- Jim Jordan can’t seem to keep January 6 story straight. Brianna Keilar rolls the tape October 21, 2021
- Lake Merritt in Oakland, California is one of the most unique urban spaces in the United States. October 21, 2021
- This Morning’s Top Headlines – October 21 | Morning News NOW October 21, 2021