The Proud Boys, seen as a racist, alt-right group that was founded in 2016 by Gavin McInnes, the Vice Media co-founder, are coming to Oakland’s Make Westing Bar to start trouble. (why they picked Uptown Oakland’s Make Westing Bar is beyond me.) The group has rapidly formed a reputation for violent protest, and have a nickname “The Right Wing Brawlers,” walking into bars and starting fights. That happened July 17th according to the LA Times‘ Jaclyn Cosgrove.
UPDATE: Are The Proud Boys connected to the stabbing of two black women at Oakland’s Mac Arthur BART Station on Sunday? Click here for that news.
On that day, members of The Proud Boys got into an altercation with people from the Democratic Socialists of America, at a place called The Griffin. Joe Androsky, an LA comedian, organized a kind of resistance to plans The Proud Boys had to visit The Griffin. For what, I do not know. The LA Times describes The Proud Boys as “a far-right organization that describes itself as a pro-Western fraternal organization.”
This blogger has no idea what The Proud Boys are starting fights for, but I do hold that, logically, since racism is a mental illness, and The Southern Poverty Law Center sees The Proud Boys as racist, then the reasons for their actions can’t be considered sane.
The Proud Boys trying to get people to say they’re “for men who refuse to apologize for creating the modern world, aka Western Chauvinists,” is, in itself, the hallmark of a group of men who have to be unhinged – how else to explain why anyone would waste their days looking to pick fights with dudes in bars, hurt people, and express a desire to say something bad about someone just because they’re black or Latino, or a person of color? There’s no way to say such behavior is done by someone of a sound mind, in my opinion.
The bad news for (lovers of sanity) is, reportedly, the The Proud Boys are planning a meeting in Downtown Oakland, at Make Westing bar, July 23rd. That an organization like the The Proud Boys thinks it’s OK to be in Oakland is, in itself, reflective of an underlying mental sickness that has become pervasive in the Bay Area. An irrational and disturbing desire to point to someone and describe them as “the other” marks The Proud Boys. Thankfully, Make Westing’s saying “no” to the The Proud Boys plans, and issued this statement on its Facebook Page:
The Proud Boys, a group of white racist nationalists notorious for violent confrontations across the country, including the terrible events in Charlottesville, have decided to throw a meet up in our city. They declared an intention to host their event at Make Westing, an establishment whose values stand in direct opposition to this Alt-Right group.
Make Westing has decided to join with our neighbors and create a “Pro-Oakland Movement” event on this day. This will be a celebration of what we love about our community and show that our diversity and pride is our strength.
A variety of establishments in the neighborhood will all be simultaneously hosting fundraisers on Monday, July 23rd for organizations such as Black Lives Matter, The Transgender Law Center, ACLU, Planned Parenthood and others.
Those of us at Make Westing stand united with our community to say: Racists, Fascists, and the Alt-Right are NOT welcome in our establishment.
We are asking the community to come join our celebration of our city and each other. We strongly oppose the violence this group supports and all acts of violence in our place of business and in our communities.
Please watch out for each other next Monday night and join us in Uptown as we take a stand in Love and against hate.
Where: 1714 Telegraph Ave, Oakland Ca
Date: Monday July 23rd
***21 AND OVER***
This addition, in fairness to the founder of The Proud Boys, he says the group is “multi-racial group made up of straight guys — there’re some homos in there, there are plenty of Jews. The only pre-requisite is that you’re a dude — born a dude — and you accept the West as the best,” according to a video he issued. But, then if that’s the case, why the accusations of racism? It would seem to be due to the racist acts of some of The Proud Boys members.
And he issues this tweet:
— Gavin McInnes (@Gavin_McInnes) July 22, 2018
And the Bay Area Proud Boys recently met at George and Walts, and there are two black guys in the photo…
Berkeley is now officially Proud Boys territory pic.twitter.com/a4qB5npO6I
— Bay Area Proud Boys (@ProudBoysCA) April 28, 2017
So, there’s a messaging problem. But my issue is why do this at all? Do they have jobs or businesses? This is a waste of everyone’s time. I’d rather talk about the Godzilla Trailer from San Diego Comic Con.
I would add that the Oakland Police should be there, as well as the Alameda County Sheriffs. Don’t engage with The Proud Boys at all – don’t get into fights with them. Let Oakland Police take care of that – they are supposed to arrest people who do that.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Oakland School For The Arts 8th Grade Promotion 2021 September 19, 2021
- Oakland School For The Arts Class 2021 Graduation September 19, 2021
- Twenty-Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time – Mass at Our Lady of Lourdes – Oakland – September 12th, 2021 September 19, 2021
- Best Nursing Schools in Oakland, California, United States September 19, 2021
- #1 Alabama vs #11 Florida: Extended Highlights | CBS Sports HQ September 19, 2021
- Nick Saban talks Alabama’s win vs. Florida | ESPN College Football September 19, 2021
- UCLA vs. Fresno State Postgame Press Conference After Upset Loss To Fresno State September 19, 2021
- Fresno State stuns No. 13 UCLA after an unforgettable fourth quarter September 19, 2021
- Ben Bartlett Berkeley City Council Member on “Democracy and Defending our Civil Rights” September 19, 2021
- Berkeley’s Homeless Crisis with Ben Bartlett Berkeley City Council Member September 19, 2021
- Supervisor Damon Connolly Marin County Expresses Support For The LGBTQ Community September 19, 2021
- Damon Connolly wishes CMCM a Happy 10th Anniversary! September 19, 2021
- Damon Connolly Marin County Supervisor On Priced Out Podcast September 19, 2021
- SoFi Stadium Tour in Los Angeles: Home of the Rams and Chargers September 19, 2021
- 1783 11th Street Oakland, CA 94607-1435 September 19, 2021
- Los Angeles Angels vs Oakland Athletics Highlights September 18, 2021 – MLB Highlights | MLB 2021 September 19, 2021
- What’s New In iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 Pro By iJustine September 19, 2021
- Breaking Vegas News – Las Vegas Raiders Ticket Prices Crash – Vaccine Rules to Blame? September 19, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Promote Running Back Trey Ragas To The Active Roster By Eric Pangilinan September 18, 2021
- Zennie62 NFL 2021 Season Game Predictions For Week 2 – Livestream Show September 18, 2021
- Neighborhood Tours in Fayetteville GA off Goza Rd September 18, 2021
- 384 Bellevue Ave Home For Sale In Adams Point, Lake Merritt, Oakland September 18, 2021
- Inspiration4 Dragon Side Hatch Open, Crew Comes Out After Splashdown September 18, 2021
- Inspiration4 Splashdown Of SpaceX Vehicle World’s First Civilian Spaceflight Was Successful September 18, 2021
- The Justice For J6 Rally Is Fake – Nothing To Do With Capital Riots, Just A Voting Propaganda Stunt September 18, 2021