Oakland — Today, the Oakland City Council unanimously passed a resolution introduced by Council member Rebecca Kaplan in Opposition of Proposition 22.
Oakland stands with app-based drivers, gig workers and communities statewide who want a fair playing field. The proposition, funded by a consortium of gig companies, would deny their employees the benefits to which California workers are entitled.
In addition, the supporters of Prop 22, Uber and Lyft among them, spent approximately $184 million dollars to flood the airwaves with political advertisements to deceive the public with false claims about what the proposition would do for drivers. These companies spent a significant amount of money trying to influence the course of election that could have instead been invested in the well-being of their drivers.
At the Council Meeting, several of the speakers during Public Comment made statements and urged the Council to support the resolution. Some speakers were drivers for one of the companies supporting Prop 22, they spoke passionately of her opposition to Prop 22 due to the lack of labor protections and the economic insecurity that comes with being a gig driver. Many expressed their solidarity with drivers and their opposition to Prop 22.
As the pandemic continues, it is as important as ever that workers’ rights are protected. These gig workers are essential workers, and we must do our best to ensure that they have the benefits they need and want.
Tonight, the Oakland City Council voted to Oppose Proposition 22. We took a stand against corporate bullies and for the labor rights of the countless people statewide who value truth and fairness.
Oakland News Now Related Posts
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Rep Liz Chaney Speech On House Floor On Eve Of Vote To Oust Her From House GOP Leadership
- Las Vegas Raiders New Number Changers For 2021 Season. By Joseph Armendariz
- May 11, 2021
- Livestream: Blame To Go Around In Oakland A’s Relocation Threat? Start With Oakland Athletics
- MLB Ask Oakland Athletics To Threaten Relocation – Oakland City Council’s Progressive Wing Steps In
- Live: Dr. Fauci Testifies At Senate Hearing On Covid-19 Response | NBC News
- Watching Amanda Gorman Keynote At Professional Business Woman California Conference 2021
- Ben Barlett Berkeley Councilmember Meetings On Traffic, Fire Safety This Week
- Ultra Black News | Ahmed Muhammad | Oakland Tech’s First Black Male Valedictorian
- Asian American Attacks: Couple Dragged In Brazen Parking Lot Robbery In Oakland
- 5 7 2021 Auto Accident Hit N Run Oakland East 14th & 2nd
- Zennie62 YouTube At 2008 DNC Convention, United Airlines Flight To Denver, Meeting Ashley Wolfe Long
- Kenny Mayne: ESPN Tried To Keep Kenny Mayne For Less But He Said No – No Tears Here
- Andrew Peterson Oakland CIO Gets Harari Conscious Leadership And Social Innovation Award
- Oakland Councilmember Sheng Thao And Oakland Mutual Aid Collective Will Distribute PPE Kits To Students May 11th
- Ca Governor Gavin Newsom’s $100 Billion Rental Assistance Plan Debut With Oakland Mayor Schaff
- Governor Newsom Unveils his Economic Recovery Package
- Tim Sullivan Of Louisville Courier Journal Ambush Marketing In-And-Out Burger On CNN?
- Rotary Club Of Oakland Features Gary Meyer On The Oscars May 06 2021
- Resurrection Oakland Church | May 9, 2021. 10am