As the smoke clears in Oakland on the most hideous of police crimes, mass-rape and child exploitation, we see a silent coup occurred in the chaos. It gave us the Oakland Police Commission.
After decades of tireless work by a group of dedicated citizens, 83% of voters came out to create independent, civilian oversight of Oakland’s police. To do this we have changed the very constitution of Oakland, taking authority away from the mayor’s office, giving us, the people of Oakland, the power to fire the police chief. What are the immediate implications of this?
Our current police chief is implicated in the rape of Celeste Guap. Our current police chief has lied to the public. Our current police chief has defended ICE. If the new police commission fulfills the mandate of the 83%, we need to start planning for new leadership. We’ve had enough conspiracy, coverup, and corruption, but we’ve also had enough chaos. We must make changes, and we need to be both transparent and predictable. We see this coming on the horizon. Let’s be prepared. Let’s have the discussion.
The mayor picks the police chief, but the commission can fire them. A responsible pick for police chief respects the will of the people, the power of our new police commission. Whoever can fire a person, that’s the boss. This is an election year, and voters need to know how the mayoral candidates will work with the commission, who they will offer as a chief employee.
We can be proud of many things in Oakland, many achievements. We have spoken loud and clear, 83%, and we have new power to create a new police department. The selection of the next chief may be the most important contribution a mayor can make, to the creation of a new and better Oakland. It must be part of every candidate’s platform. We don’t need surprises. As a mayoral candidate, I am currently in discussion with prospective candidates for police chief, and will reveal my pick soon. I look forward to seeing the choice of other candidates, and we must ask the candidates, who is Oakland’s next police chief?
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Errol Barnett, Once A CNN Reporter In 2008, Now CBS Weekend Anchor In 2021
- Visit to Oakland Zoo
- Upcoming Events at Allen Temple Baptist Church Oakland for the week of 6/13/21
- Home For Sale 6416 Heather Ridge Way Oakland, CA 94611
- Home For Sale 532 30th St 10 Oakland, CA 94609
- Match Highlights: Oakland Roots SC vs. Orange County SC
- 2021 Honda Pilot EX-L 2WD Sale Price Lease Bay Area Oakland Alameda Hayward Fremont San Leandro CA 4
- Is That Too Short, Famed Oakland Rapper, Doing The Hustle At District Bar In Old Oakland?
- Falcon And The Winter Soldier Is Better Than Loki Because Its Rooted In American Culture
- Downsizing Oakland Howard Terminal Ballpark Without Knowing About It Is Brainless
- Philippines Independence Day Saturday June 12th 2021: Eric Pangilinan Philippines Reaction
- French President Macron Says America Is Back During G7 Summit At Carbis Bay
- Oakland A’s Kaval, City Council’s Gallo, Alameda County’s Miley Muddle Howard Terminal Ballpark On KGO-TV
- 🔴OMG Vegas LIVE… You Won’t Believe it. Vegas is NORMAL AGAIN!!🚨
- 12-Year-Old Shot Confronting Catalytic Converter Thieves Outside Oakland Home
- Howard Terminal Ballpark: A Gift To Oakland And Its People – By Kevin M. Corbett
- Another Djokovic Vs Nadal Classic At 2021 French Open Nearly Marred By Curfew, But Loop-Hole Found
- Fayetteville Georgia Weather: Thunderstorm High Winds At 3:22 PM EST Friday June 11th
- Ayodele Nzinga: City Of Oakland Announces Inaugural Poet Laureate
- Oakland Black NFL Football Group Coliseum Stadium Proposal On July 20th City Council Agenda