As the smoke clears in Oakland on the most hideous of police crimes, mass-rape and child exploitation, we see a silent coup occurred in the chaos. It gave us the Oakland Police Commission.
After decades of tireless work by a group of dedicated citizens, 83% of voters came out to create independent, civilian oversight of Oakland’s police. To do this we have changed the very constitution of Oakland, taking authority away from the mayor’s office, giving us, the people of Oakland, the power to fire the police chief. What are the immediate implications of this?
Our current police chief is implicated in the rape of Celeste Guap. Our current police chief has lied to the public. Our current police chief has defended ICE. If the new police commission fulfills the mandate of the 83%, we need to start planning for new leadership. We’ve had enough conspiracy, coverup, and corruption, but we’ve also had enough chaos. We must make changes, and we need to be both transparent and predictable. We see this coming on the horizon. Let’s be prepared. Let’s have the discussion.
The mayor picks the police chief, but the commission can fire them. A responsible pick for police chief respects the will of the people, the power of our new police commission. Whoever can fire a person, that’s the boss. This is an election year, and voters need to know how the mayoral candidates will work with the commission, who they will offer as a chief employee.
We can be proud of many things in Oakland, many achievements. We have spoken loud and clear, 83%, and we have new power to create a new police department. The selection of the next chief may be the most important contribution a mayor can make, to the creation of a new and better Oakland. It must be part of every candidate’s platform. We don’t need surprises. As a mayoral candidate, I am currently in discussion with prospective candidates for police chief, and will reveal my pick soon. I look forward to seeing the choice of other candidates, and we must ask the candidates, who is Oakland’s next police chief?
Related Posts (YARPP)
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Maria Ayerdi Kaplan: Salesforce Transit Center Should Have Her Statue In Front Of It, Marc Beinoff
- Dave Kaval Headed Back To Las Vegas, After The Howard Terminal City Of Oakland Alameda County Fiasco
- What Atlanta 1 Step From NBA Finals 1 Year After Donald Trump, Rayshard Brooks, The Pandemic, Means
- Atlanta Hawks Shock Philadelphia 76ers 103 – 96 – Off To 2021 Eastern Conference Finals
- Louis Riddick Says Raiders Issue Always Been Defense Not Derek Carr – By Eric Pangilinan
- Boxing Errol Spence Jr Belives He Is The big Dog- By Eric Pangilinan
- Gus Bradley Putting In New Defense System For The Raiders By – Eric Pangilinan
- Philippines Orders Biggest Doese Of Covid Vaccine
- Nba Western Conference Finals Devin Booker Shines By- Eric Pangilinan
- Deep Dish Pizza – Lou Malnati’s Pizzeria Classic Style At Uptown Plaza, Phoenix, 100 E Camelback Rd
- Gus Bradley Putting In New Defense System For The Raiders By- Eric Pangilinan
- 2021 Juneteenth Shooting At Oakland Lake Merritt Shows Some Black Kids Don’t Value Black Life – Our Fault
- Juneteenth Lake Merritt Shooting: Oakland City Council’s Nikki Fortunado Bas, Carroll Fife Statement
- Kumasi Aaron Of ABC 7 At Juneteenth Jubilee Oakland, Produced By Oakland City Council’s Loren Taylor
- Juneteenth Walk Down Broadway In Oakland Brings Back Memories For Instagram Poster
- 1 dead, others injured after shots fired at Lake Merritt
- Brooklyn Loses NBA Playoffs Game 7 To Milwalkee 115 – 111 Kevin Durant Reverts To Warriors Time
- NBA Super Teams Dont Win Right Away By- Eric Pangilinan
- Kevin Durant Is God Reaction – Hits Tie Shot To Send Game 7 Vs Bucks To Overtime
- NBA Western Conference Finals Set Suns Vs Clippers – By Eric Pangilinan