ONN – The City Of Oakland Should Reduce Salaries 25 Percent Rather Than Layoffs In The Pandemic
The City Of Oakland Should Reduce Salaries 25 Percent Rather Than Layoffs In The Pandemic
Oakland passed Measure Q during the 2020 California Primary Election. The idea was to raise more money to help the City of Oakland Parks and Recreation Department cope with the rising homeless population’s impact on our parks.
Now, we are in the middle of a pandemic, and there’s talk of laying people off in the same department.
On Facebook, two former Oakland managers basically say “well, those are part time positions” – I say, no job should be cut. Instead, the City of Oakland should reduce all salaries by 20 percent.
The reason for all of this is the Governor of California has said that cities should not collect property taxes during the pandemic. So, let’s say that goes on for three months. Then reducing salaries by 25 percent would save $82 million, versus a 57 percent reduction in property tax revenue collection over the same period. That benefits Oakland.
Part time workers would be able to retain money to live on, and then augment that with government assistance. Ironically, the higher salaries in Oakland government can also be considered government assistance to those workers. But I digress.
Let’s not cut jobs – we can save lives.
Note from Zennie62Media and Oakland News Now: this video-blog post demonstrates the full and live operation of the latest updated version of an experimental Zennie62Media , Inc. mobile media video-blogging system network that was launched June 2018. This is a major part of Zennie62Media , Inc.’s new and innovative approach to the production of news media. What we call “The Third Wave of Media”. The uploaded video is from a vlogger with the Zennie62 on YouTube Partner Channel, then uploaded to and formatted automatically at the Oakland News Now site and Zennie62-created and owned social media pages. The overall objective is smartphone-enabled, real-time, on the scene reporting of news, interviews, observations, and happenings anywhere in the World and within seconds and not hours. Now, news is reported with a smartphone: no heavy and expensive cameras or even a laptop are necessary. The secondary objective is faster, and very inexpensive media content news production and distribution. We have found there is a disconnect between post length and time to product and revenue generated. With this, the problem is far less, though by no means solved. Zennie62Media is constantly working to improve the system network coding and seeks interested content and media technology partners.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- City Of Oakland Bilingual Citywide COVID-19 Video With Mayor Libby Schaaf, OFD, OPD
- First Unitarian Church Of Oakland: Earth — Celebrate And Save It
- 755 65th St Oakland CA | Oakland Homes for Sale
- Timothy Douglas, OEA Negotiator, On OEA-OUSD Oakland School Reopening Tentative Agreement Before Final
- Raiders Mark Davis Right, We’re Wrong About Derek Chauvin Verdict Tweet, Here’s Why
- Oakland Police Should March In Solidarity With Black Community Post Derek Chauvin Verdict
- Raiders “I Can Breathe” Tweet: What Was Las Vegas Thinking With That Derek Chauvin Verdict Entry?
- President Biden and Vice President Harris Address the Nation on the Derek Chauvin Trial Verdict
- Oakland Tech’s Ahmed Muhammad School’s 1st Black Male Valedictorian On Day Of Derek Chauvin Verdict
- Derek Chauvin Murder Trial Verdict Livestream Reaction Vlog After Murder Of George Floyd
- WATCH LIVE: Jury in Derek Chauvin trial expected to return a verdict
- Oakland School News: OUSD Unveil’s New Green Schoolyard In Celebration Of Earth Day
- A Shooting Has Taken Place At A Stop & Shop In West Hempstead, NY, By: Vinny Lospinuso
- Look At Oakland Lake Merritt Instagram Videos Shows Fun Gathering – Are Complaints Just Racism?
- Oakland Lake Merritt Vendors Move From Lakeshore To Grand Avenue, But Racist Take Remains
- Memories of Roy Steele, Oakland A’s Announcer
- Oakland Police Chief Antioch Press Conference
- Oakland Mayor’s Town Hall Budget Summit – Guaranteed Income
- Renaming to White Supremacy Resolution
- The Sounds Of Oakland: Sideshow Season 2021 OPD Responds