This November, residents in Oakland and other California cities and towns will have a chance to alter the market that’s created housing costs so high, the population of homeless people is larger than ever.
The California Secretary of State’s office informed county registrars and backers and proponents of the California Affordable Housing Act that Michael Weinstein, Elena Popp, and Christina Livingston have turned in 402,468 valid signatures to the counties. Thus, the California Affordable Housing Act, which has the mouthful-of-a real name EXPANDS LOCAL GOVERNMENTS AUTHORITY TO INACT RENT CONTROL ON RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY. INITIATIVE STATUTE. (#1837) will be on the November 6 2018 election ballot.
If the initiative passes this November (this blogger predicts a landslide), it will mean the repeal of the Costa Hawkins Act in California. What Costa Hawkins does is 1) prohibits rent control on any single family home or condominium, 2) prohibits rent control on any single apartment building built after 1995, or the year after rent control was passed in a California city, 3) allows a landlord the ability to increase rent on an apartment right after a tenent moves out of it, and up to three-times what it was when the person lived in it.
Repeal of the Costa Hawkins Act will allow California cities like Oakland to expand their current rent control legislation and install new local laws to make housing affordable.
This video, released by the group “Housing Is A Human Right”, explains what Costa Hawkins is:
Housing Is A Human Right Celebrates The News Tonight
The Housing Is A Human Right Coalition is holding a party at its headquarters to celebrate that the California Affordable Housing Act made the ballot. It’s tonight, Monday, June 18, 7:00 pm – 8:30 pm
6500 Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, CA. The organizers ask that you RSVP via the event Facebook page here.
And on June 21st, which is this Thursday, the California Senate Judiciary Committee and the Assembly Committee on Housing and Community Development will hold a joint hearing on the California Affordable Housing Act. “Housing Is A Human Right”is holding a rally in conjunction with that hearing, and called “Showdown at the Capitol for Rent Control: Support Costa-Hawkins Repeal”.
“Housing Is A Human Right” is asking you to fill out an online form here, if you plan to attend the rally in Sacramento. This way, they can coordinate transportation for you to attend the event.
Related Posts (YARPP)
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Nba Time For The 76ers To Trade Ben Simmons- By Eric Pangilinan
- Maria Ayerdi Kaplan: Salesforce Transit Center Should Have Her Statue In Front Of It, Marc Beinoff
- Dave Kaval Headed Back To Las Vegas, After The Howard Terminal City Of Oakland Alameda County Fiasco
- What Atlanta 1 Step From NBA Finals 1 Year After Donald Trump, Rayshard Brooks, The Pandemic, Means
- Atlanta Hawks Shock Philadelphia 76ers 103 – 96 – Off To 2021 Eastern Conference Finals
- Louis Riddick Says Raiders Issue Always Been Defense Not Derek Carr – By Eric Pangilinan
- Boxing Errol Spence Jr Belives He Is The big Dog- By Eric Pangilinan
- Gus Bradley Putting In New Defense System For The Raiders By – Eric Pangilinan
- Philippines Orders Biggest Doese Of Covid Vaccine
- Nba Western Conference Finals Devin Booker Shines By- Eric Pangilinan
- Deep Dish Pizza – Lou Malnati’s Pizzeria Classic Style At Uptown Plaza, Phoenix, 100 E Camelback Rd
- Gus Bradley Putting In New Defense System For The Raiders By- Eric Pangilinan
- 2021 Juneteenth Shooting At Oakland Lake Merritt Shows Some Black Kids Don’t Value Black Life – Our Fault
- Juneteenth Lake Merritt Shooting: Oakland City Council’s Nikki Fortunado Bas, Carroll Fife Statement
- Kumasi Aaron Of ABC 7 At Juneteenth Jubilee Oakland, Produced By Oakland City Council’s Loren Taylor
- Juneteenth Walk Down Broadway In Oakland Brings Back Memories For Instagram Poster
- 1 dead, others injured after shots fired at Lake Merritt
- Brooklyn Loses NBA Playoffs Game 7 To Milwalkee 115 – 111 Kevin Durant Reverts To Warriors Time
- NBA Super Teams Dont Win Right Away By- Eric Pangilinan
- Kevin Durant Is God Reaction – Hits Tie Shot To Send Game 7 Vs Bucks To Overtime