This November, residents in Oakland and other California cities and towns will have a chance to alter the market that’s created housing costs so high, the population of homeless people is larger than ever.
The California Secretary of State’s office informed county registrars and backers and proponents of the California Affordable Housing Act that Michael Weinstein, Elena Popp, and Christina Livingston have turned in 402,468 valid signatures to the counties. Thus, the California Affordable Housing Act, which has the mouthful-of-a real name EXPANDS LOCAL GOVERNMENTS AUTHORITY TO INACT RENT CONTROL ON RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY. INITIATIVE STATUTE. (#1837) will be on the November 6 2018 election ballot.
If the initiative passes this November (this blogger predicts a landslide), it will mean the repeal of the Costa Hawkins Act in California. What Costa Hawkins does is 1) prohibits rent control on any single family home or condominium, 2) prohibits rent control on any single apartment building built after 1995, or the year after rent control was passed in a California city, 3) allows a landlord the ability to increase rent on an apartment right after a tenent moves out of it, and up to three-times what it was when the person lived in it.
Repeal of the Costa Hawkins Act will allow California cities like Oakland to expand their current rent control legislation and install new local laws to make housing affordable.
This video, released by the group “Housing Is A Human Right”, explains what Costa Hawkins is:
Housing Is A Human Right Celebrates The News Tonight
The Housing Is A Human Right Coalition is holding a party at its headquarters to celebrate that the California Affordable Housing Act made the ballot. It’s tonight, Monday, June 18, 7:00 pm – 8:30 pm
6500 Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, CA. The organizers ask that you RSVP via the event Facebook page here.
And on June 21st, which is this Thursday, the California Senate Judiciary Committee and the Assembly Committee on Housing and Community Development will hold a joint hearing on the California Affordable Housing Act. “Housing Is A Human Right”is holding a rally in conjunction with that hearing, and called “Showdown at the Capitol for Rent Control: Support Costa-Hawkins Repeal”.
“Housing Is A Human Right” is asking you to fill out an online form here, if you plan to attend the rally in Sacramento. This way, they can coordinate transportation for you to attend the event.
Related Posts (YARPP)
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Raiders Josh Jacobs Was Not happy Losing Hudson And Jackson – By Eric Pangilinan
- Boxing Oscar De La Hoya Coming Out Of Retirement- By Eric Pangilinan
- Raiders Derek Carr Supports Teammate Carl Nassib – By Eric Pangilinan
- Raiders Receiver John Brown Building Chemistry With QB Derek Carr
- John McAfee, Who Ran For President vs Donald Trump In 2015, Died In Spanish Prison
- Loki Lamentis Review Recap – By Jessica Dwyer
- Loki Episode 3: Does The Ark Reference Have Symbolic Meaning To Noah’s Ark? By Joseph Armendariz
- 2412 Kingsland Ave Oakland, CA 94601
- Bike Oakland/Alameda: Bay Trail & Bay Farm Island
- Oakland City Budget 2021-23: Oakland City Council President Bas Presents Amendments
- 2020 USWNT U.S. Olympics Women’s Soccer Team Announced June 23 2021
- IKEA in Atlanta Under Fire For Juneteenth Celebration Menu By Joseph Armendariz
- Loki Is Bisexual Says Director Kate Herron – But What Would Thor Say About That?
- My Cryptocurrency Portfolio Is Up Today, June 23 2021; Changed Its Composition. What Works For You?
- Howard Terminal Oakland Ballpark Project Clearing Up Errors In Reporting Regarding TIF, SB293 Skinner
- Loki Episode 3. Did This Episode Fail To Deliver? By Joseph Armendariz
- Kathleen Matz Takes Issue With My Oakland Juneteeth Shooting Vlog, Reflects A Basic Racial Problem
- The Race To Become New York Mayor- By Eric Pangilinan
- Raiders Top Draft Picks Continue To Shine In Training Camp – By Eric Pangilinan
- New York City Mayoral Primary Puts Spotlight On Ranked-Choice Voting
Oakland News Now Archives
- Dynamic Group to break ground on 16-unit AD facility – Bioenergy Insight Magazine
- Dutch wood pellet imports reached new high in 2020 – Bioenergy Insight Magazine
- Oakland City Council Members Join Vigil in Honor of Victims of Juneteenth Shooting – NBC Bay Area – California News Times
- Crowd gathers at Lake Merritt to mourn 22-year-old man killed in mass shooting – San Francisco Chronicle
- Bishop Barber of Oakland: Unmasked Massgoers Should Not Be ‘Policed’ – National Catholic Register
- Juneteenth Celebration at Lake Merritt in Oakland, Calif. – The Pioneer
- Athletics race to large, early lead, defeat Rangers 13-6 – Associated Press
- List of possible A’s ballpark sites grows, 3rd Las Vegas trip planned – Las Vegas Review-Journal
- Bay Briefing: Where Bay Area small businesses got help — and where they didn’t – San Francisco Chronicle
- Oakland crowd twerks on ambulance, blocks responders after deadly shooting – Fox News