This November, residents in Oakland and other California cities and towns will have a chance to alter the market that’s created housing costs so high, the population of homeless people is larger than ever.
The California Secretary of State’s office informed county registrars and backers and proponents of the California Affordable Housing Act that Michael Weinstein, Elena Popp, and Christina Livingston have turned in 402,468 valid signatures to the counties. Thus, the California Affordable Housing Act, which has the mouthful-of-a real name EXPANDS LOCAL GOVERNMENTS AUTHORITY TO INACT RENT CONTROL ON RESIDENTIAL PROPERTY. INITIATIVE STATUTE. (#1837) will be on the November 6 2018 election ballot.
If the initiative passes this November (this blogger predicts a landslide), it will mean the repeal of the Costa Hawkins Act in California. What Costa Hawkins does is 1) prohibits rent control on any single family home or condominium, 2) prohibits rent control on any single apartment building built after 1995, or the year after rent control was passed in a California city, 3) allows a landlord the ability to increase rent on an apartment right after a tenent moves out of it, and up to three-times what it was when the person lived in it.
Repeal of the Costa Hawkins Act will allow California cities like Oakland to expand their current rent control legislation and install new local laws to make housing affordable.
This video, released by the group “Housing Is A Human Right”, explains what Costa Hawkins is:
Housing Is A Human Right Celebrates The News Tonight
The Housing Is A Human Right Coalition is holding a party at its headquarters to celebrate that the California Affordable Housing Act made the ballot. It’s tonight, Monday, June 18, 7:00 pm – 8:30 pm
6500 Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, CA. The organizers ask that you RSVP via the event Facebook page here.
And on June 21st, which is this Thursday, the California Senate Judiciary Committee and the Assembly Committee on Housing and Community Development will hold a joint hearing on the California Affordable Housing Act. “Housing Is A Human Right”is holding a rally in conjunction with that hearing, and called “Showdown at the Capitol for Rent Control: Support Costa-Hawkins Repeal”.
“Housing Is A Human Right” is asking you to fill out an online form here, if you plan to attend the rally in Sacramento. This way, they can coordinate transportation for you to attend the event.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Oakland International Film Festival Focus On Black Farmers At Freedom Farmers Market September 18th September 18, 2021
- Oakland Homicides – OPD Police Reports 96 Homicides, On Pace For 134 By End Of 2021 September 18, 2021
- San Francisco Giants vs Atlanta Braves Highlights September 17, 2021 – MLB Highlights | MLB 2021 September 18, 2021
- Los Angeles Angels vs Oakland Athletics Highlights September 17, 2021 – MLB Highlights | MLB 2021 September 18, 2021
- Councilman Joe Buscaino Talks Live On KCAL About Friday Night’s Earthquake September 18, 2021
- 4.3 Earthquake Southern California 9/17/2021 September 18, 2021
- 4.3 magnitude earthquake hits Carson area, shakes SoCal | ABC7 September 18, 2021
- 4.3M Earthquake Near carson… September 18, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Yannick Ngakoue Expected To Play In Week Two Vs The Steelers By Eric Pangilinan September 18, 2021
- Brian Laundrie missing since Tuesday, search for Gabby Petito continues September 17, 2021
- FBI: Brian Laundrie is missing, search for Gabby Petito continues | LiveNOW from FOX September 17, 2021
- Robert Durst verdict: Real-estate heir found guilty in murder of Susan Berman | ABC7 September 17, 2021
- Report: 6 New Orleans Saints Offensive Coaches, 1 Player, 1 Nutritionist Positive For COVID-19 September 17, 2021
- Howard Terminal Update: The Portland Diamond Project Still Alive While Oakland A’s Talk Las Vegas September 17, 2021
- Downs Oakland Church Sunday Service 9.19.21 September 17, 2021
- The Austin Dunn Story Of Black East Bay Regional Park District Employee Of The 1930s September 17, 2021
- John & Sara Lemmon: Early California Botanists, Civil War Survivors and Influential Oakland Citizens September 17, 2021
- Introduction to Rockridge: Oakland’s Well-Loved Neighborhood September 17, 2021
- Moving to Oakland Commuting From Oakland to San Francisco September 17, 2021
- Gabby Petito: Police arrive at the home of Brian Laundrie’s parents September 17, 2021
- Oakland Mayor Schaaf’s Office Says Racist, Sexist Social Media Accounts Made By Several Oakland Police Officers September 17, 2021
- Amy Trask Bio & Hype Video For Amy Trask Talk On Las Vegas Raiders And Oakland Raiders Culture. September 17, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Running Back Josh Jacobs Ruled Out For Week Two Vs The Steelers By Eric Pangilinan September 17, 2021
- LIVE: New Orleans Saints Player Interviews 9/17/21 Week 2 vs. Panthers September 17, 2021
- Pat McAfee Talks To Tyrod Taylor About Move To Texans, Very Unfortunate Career Path September 17, 2021