Tetra Tech Responds to Rep. Nancy Pelosi: Says Clean-up Done to Navy Standards, But False Accusations, Fear Mongering By Plaintiffs Mislead Pelosi, Regulators, and Public
Tetra Tech today said it was disappointed in comments by Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi regarding its clean-up of a portion of Hunters Point Naval Shipyard. The congresswoman issued a news release today that there was “massive manipulation and falsification of data” at Hunters Point in the clean-up and called upon the Inspector General to look into the accusations as well as to investigate U.S. Navy and EPA oversight of Tetra Tech EC.
The company as well as San Francisco health officials deny the claims made Rep. Pelosi. The company pointed out that the San Francisco Department of Public Health has continued to publically state the clean-up was done appropriately and that the naval base is safe for human use.
Tetra Tech believes the source of Rep. Pelosi’s statement is the false statements by a plaintiff’s attorney and “whistleblowers’ that have mislead the Navy, EPA, other regulatory agencies, and are based upon fear-mongering by the attorney and activist groups supporting a lawsuit. The attorney and activist groups all oppose any development of the shipyard by Lennar/FivePoint, which is now probably set back many years because of the delays caused by the allegations.
Tetra Tech issued the following news release in response to the comments by Congresswoman Pelosi:
The work that Tetra Tech EC completed at the former Hunters Point Naval Shipyard was done properly and to the standards established by the U.S. Navy. We are disappointed that Representative Pelosi has been misled by fraudulent accusations by a group of self-motivated plaintiffs against Tetra Tech EC, the Navy and the EPA, of not doing a proper job.
The false allegations by plaintiffs are being pursued by a small handful of former employees and subcontractors, and are spearheaded by a disgraced lawyer, David Anton, who has been disciplined and suspended from the California State Bar for falsifying evidence.
Anton’s key “whistleblower,” Anthony James Smith, has been arrested multiple times, most recently for “terroristic threats” and the attempted murder of his girlfriend. Smith was criminally indicted in 2017 by the State of Georgia on eight counts of battery and assault, including making terroristic threats.
We know that when regulatory agencies and the public know the actual facts—rather than the fraudulent claims being made by Anton and Smith—that Tetra Tech EC will be found to have done its job at the shipyard properly. We are disappointed that the fraudulent claims by a handful of people have so quickly misled so many, created unnecessary fear and concern, and all without checking the veracity of the data and the backgrounds of the accusers.
Today’s comments by Rep. Pelosi are based upon false accusations against Tetra Tech EC, concocted by plaintiffs desiring to extract money based upon their fraudulent claims that the shipyard wasn’t properly cleaned.
The City of San Francisco’s own Department of Public Health has said numerous times, as recently as the past few months, that the shipyard is safe and meets public health standards, directly contradicting Rep. Pelosi, the plaintiffs and others.
Tetra Tech EC’s work at Hunters Point Naval Shipyard Background
Tetra Tech EC’s first Navy contract at Hunters Point Naval Shipyard (HPNS) was awarded in 2002. The company provided cleanup of about 20 percent of the land surface at HPNS and were among many contractors providing remedial services at the site. Tetra Tech put safety at the forefront of all our projects and worked more than 2,000 days (or 5.4 years) without a lost-time injury at HPNS.
The Genesis of the False Claims Against Tetra Tech EC at Hunters Point
In 2012 at HPNS, the Navy identified soil sampling data at one location that did not appear representative of the sampling area. Tetra Tech EC (TtEC) immediately conducted a full investigation. At the company’s expense, TtEC analyzed 70,000 sample results, identified areas for resampling, and conducted additional remediation where necessary. After implementing corrective actions there were no repeat occurrences. TtEC fully documented the investigation and completed corrective actions with full review by and coordination with Navy and regulators.
The Navy also conducted an independent review and released its own report in 2014. The Navy’s own report concluded that “The Navy’s contractor corrected identified deficient conditions and incorporated additional QC steps to avoid recurrence.”
Wrongdoing committed by three individuals
Stephen Rolfe and Justin Hubbard are former employees of TtEC and subcontractor New World Technology. TtEC learned in May 2018 that Rolfe and Hubbard admitted to falsifying reports at HPNS and have been sentenced by the U. S. Department of Justice (DOJ). Their plea statements align with the findings of TtEC’s 2014 report regarding soil data anomalies identified in 2012.
Tetra Tech fully supports the actions of the DOJ regarding the illegal actions of Rolfe and Hubbard. Anthony Smith, a former employee of New World Technology, has publicly admitted to assisting Rolfe and Hubbard with sample swapping and has made multiple false public statements.
Tetra Tech’s offer to re-sample areas in question
TtEC’s 2014 investigation report identified the areas in which Rolfe, Hubbard, and Smith admit to swapping samples. Those locations were corrected in 2012, and areas cleaned up by TtEC at HPNS are safe for redevelopment. To prove our work at HPNS meets cleanup standards, we have proposed to the Navy an immediate third-party re-sampling program at our expense.
Tetra Tech EC Hunters Point Website
Tetra Tech EC has established a website to correct false accusations. Visit: www.hunterspointfacts.com
Contacts: Sam Singer or Cassandra Sweet
Singer Associates Public Relations San Francisco
Or Charlie MacPherson
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Mom Gets Surprise Giant Gift Box From Rocket Mortgage Sent Via UPS September 23, 2021
- How U.C. Berkeley Beat Harvard And Yale To Become The Best College In America | Forbes September 23, 2021
- Judge Orders UC Berkeley To Freeze Enrollment After Neighborhood Group Sues September 23, 2021
- Save 1921 Walnut St. Berkeley – Tenants Protest Demolition, UC Berkeley, Mayor Jesse Arreguin Actions September 23, 2021
- 30 Weirdest Things Ever Caught On Security Cameras & CCTV ! September 23, 2021
- The Raiders Are LETHAL With Derek Carr and Jon Gruden in Sync | Tiki and Tierney September 23, 2021
- Melvin Van Peebles on Bill Cosby Allegations; Being a Pioneer September 23, 2021
- Unstoppable: Melvin Van Peebles, Gordon Parks, and Ossie Davis in Conversation (2005) September 23, 2021
- Groundbreaking Filmmaker Melvin Van Peebles Has Died September 23, 2021
- R.I.P Mario Van Peebles Dad, Speaks On How His Father Melvin Van Peebles Died September 23, 2021
- 2021 09 21 Meeting with DSP UC Berkeley Students with Disabilities Coalition PART 2 September 23, 2021
- Nobel Prize Medal Presented to UC Berkeley Chemistry Professor Jennifer Doudna at her Berkeley Home September 23, 2021
- Oakland school district votes on vaccine mandate September 23, 2021
- Lakefront Home For Sale – 195 Honey Ln Fayetteville GA 30214 September 23, 2021
- Home For Sale – Introducing, 260 Camelot Fayetteville, Georgia September 23, 2021
- Home For Sale 3800 California Street Oakland, CA | ColdwellBankerHomes.com September 23, 2021
- Oakland Officer, Suspect Wounded In Shootout; Suspect Surrenders After Tense Standoff September 23, 2021
- Weather Forecast Oakland, California ▶ Oakland weather Forecast 09/23/2021 September 23, 2021
- COVID Vaccinations: Oakland Unified School District Board Approves COVID Vaccination Mandate For Students September 23, 2021
- Oakland Unified School District Board Discusses Vaccine Mandate for Students, Staff September 23, 2021
- Woman Wanted For Pulling Gun On Chipotle Worker In Philadelphia September 23, 2021
- Go Fund Me For Raider Nation’s Black Hole Rob Rivera’s Funeral By Rachel Rivera September 23, 2021
- Gabby Petito case: Crews use new tools in the search for Brian Laundrie September 23, 2021
- Hey EBX & Hella Coastal – Brothers Brewing Co Was Oakland’s First Black Brewery, And Then There Was Pican Restaurant September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders NFL Pro football Focus Ranked Maxx Crosby Number 1 Edge Rusher By Eric Pangilinan September 22, 2021
- Raiders Steve Wisniewski Nominated For 2022 Pro Football Hall of Fame Class, By: Vinny Lospinuso September 22, 2021
- Brian Laundrie search: What led police to the Carlton Reserve? September 22, 2021
- Laundrie neighbor says she saw Brian after his return September 22, 2021
- Former Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Michael Baden On Gabby Petito’s Autopsy Findings September 22, 2021
- Oakland Athletics Unveil 2022 Season Ticket Plans and Pricing by Richard Haick September 22, 2021
- Boxing Canelo Alvarez And Caleb Plant Heated Press Conference By Eric Pangilinan September 22, 2021
- I was hit COVID Delta in East Oakland Homeless Encampment by Derrick Soo September 22, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders QB Derek Carr With A New Haircut Ready To Play In Week Three By Eric Pangilinan September 22, 2021
- Kourtney Kardashian & Megan Fox Seductively Pose In Lingerie September 22, 2021
- Coach Gruden, Derek Carr, K.J. Wright and Daniel Carlson Presser – 9.22.21 | Las Vegas Raiders | NFL September 22, 2021
- Zennie62Media Credentialed For CES 2022 Las Vegas And For 12th Year In A Row September 22, 2021
- Daniel Craig Said James Bond Should Not Be A Woman – Here’s Why He’s Right September 22, 2021
- Thomas Espinosa – Oakland Public Ethics Commission Fines Him $309,600 – Here’s Why September 22, 2021
- Marin Supervisor Damon Connolly Stands Up for Immigrant Justice September 22, 2021
- YouTube Studio Was Down Today, Is Back Up Now – What Happened To Cause It? September 22, 2021