Plaintiffs’ attorneys and anti-housing activists have been beating the drum for several years in San Francisco claiming that the Hunters Point Shipyard clean-up by Tetra Tech EC was botched and fraudulent.
But as the facts emerge, the tables are turning. Statements by Tetra Tech EC are proving to be factually correct, but the allegations by former shipyard workers who have filed lawsuits over safety claims are proving to be false or spurious.
The plaintiffs have claimed in the media and legal filings that the soil at Parcel A (where homes were built by Lennar/FivePoint) was dangerously high in radiation and that residents were in danger.
They also alleged that Building 606 at Hunters Point was radiologically “hot” and unsafe for the San Francisco Police Department which has occupied the building for decades.
Most damning, the plaintiffs claim that none of the work done by Tetra Tech EC on the approximately 25 percent of the shipyard the company remediated, was properly done.
But each time regulatory authorities and health experts investigate the plaintiffs’ claims, they turn out to be spurious. Here are three examples:
Just this year, the California Department of Public Health completed a study of Parcel A at Hunters Point and found no health or safety risks to the community. The Department also said a single deck marker left over from World War II did not cause any health risks.
After an investigation and review by S.F. Department of Public Health, Building 606, used as a crime lab by San Francisco Police, was found to be safe.
Finally, there is this month’s preliminary rejection of the plaintiffs attempt to have the Nuclear Regulatory Commission strip Tetra Tech EC of its national license to do radiological clean-up work. The NRC said in its initial finding that there was no evidence to support the plaintiffs’ safety allegations.
The plaintiffs are starting to look like the little boy who cried wolf. In this case, they yelled ‘environmental fraud,’ but it seems the fraud may be the false claims the plaintiffs and their attorney are making to enrich themselves through fear-mongering at the expense of Bayview Hunters Point residents and San Franciscans.
Related Posts (YARPP)
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Self-Service Buffets Return To Las Vegas Strip
- Dogecoin Cools After Week Of Dramatic Growth Ahead Of Elon Musk On SNL
- Oakland Police Department On Unsolved Homicide Of Henry Texada
- Oakland Police Captain Jones With Ceasefire, Captain Holmgren Talk Violent Crime
- Mass Vaccination Site at Oakland Coliseum Closing
- Leigh Steinberg Talks NFL Post 2021 Draft – Will COVID-19 Be The Same Problem As 2020?
- Carroll Fife Oakland District 3 Councilmember On Housing, Homelessness, and Reform
- This Bullying Oakland Mayor Schaaf Has Gone Too Far – Terrorizing Libby As Evil As Police Brutality
- SpaceX’s Starship SN15 Makes First Landing Without Exploding
- John Jones Has A Major Surprise For Oakland California Friends, Politicians
- Oakland Planning Commission Approved Giant 415 20th Skyscraper Ignores Homeless – Thomas Berkeley?
- Oakland Planning Commission Meets Livestream On 415 20th, The Tallest Building In Oakland, If Built
- Oakland And San Francisco Hire California Movers USA For Your Next Relocation
- 415 20th Street Will Be Oakland’s Tallest Building, Draw 3,800 Employees – Planning Commission Says It Has No Impact
- Oakland Lacrosse Club, Oakland Athletic League, OUSD Partner For Girls Lacrosse League
- Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow: The Futurism Of Walt Disney
- Weather Forecast Oakland, California 05/05/2021
- SF Bay Area Bicycle Is Back With: Bike Oakland Ride To The New Ghost Town
- Oakland City Council Approves Including Councilmember Bas, Taylor, Police Alternatives In Budget
- 2021 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Sale Price Lease Bay Area Oakland Alameda Hayward Fremont San Leand