Washington, DC – Shot with rubber bullets, targeted with stun grenades, tear gassed, physically attacked, pepper sprayed and arrested. Cleveland even tried to ban the press from the city. This is journalism in America right now as reporters cover the unrest across the country following the murder of George Floyd. As journalists risk their safety and health to inform us all on the truth of what is going on in America’s cities, they are simultaneously being deliberately targeted by police.
Louisville, KY reporter Kaitlin Rust was shot by police with pepper rounds on live television despite repeatedly identifying herself as press. Police officers tear gassed Molly Hennessy-Fiske and Carolyn Cole of the Los Angeles Times. Michael Anthony Adams of Vice yelled to the police advancing toward him with a gun, notifying them he was a member of the press. In response, the officer replied, “I don’t care, get down,” as a second officer pepper-sprayed Adams. Sadly, these are but a few of the incidents occurring across the country as reporters covering protests of police violence are met with that same violence.
This is tragically reminiscent of the 2014 protests in Ferguson, MO, when dozens of reporters were arrested and the police shot at camera crews while covering the protests against the murder of Michael Brown by the police. And as one of those arrested in Ferguson, Ryan Reilly, points out, the norms against targeting journalists “were broken years ago.”
But it is impossible not to recognize the unrelenting cascade of violent rhetoric from President Trump targeting the media and journalists as the “enemy of the people.” Criticism of the press by American politicians is as old as the Republic. Yet Trump is fanning the flames of violence at an extremely precarious time for journalism in America.
At this moment, the news industry is facing multiple existential crises – be it to its business model from Google and Facebook, from the broader economic decline brought on by the Coronavirus, or political attacks from President Trump and violence from the police. The targeting of journalists and those covering the current unrest by police violates the first amendment and underscores the need for press freedom in America.
Today we speak with one voice. The following is a statement from Laura Bassett, John Stanton, and Nick Charles for the Save Journalism Project:
In reporting on protests of police violence against black Americans, reporters and journalists have become targets of violence themselves. As journalists we have a duty to report the truth even if that puts us in harm’s way, whether covering protests against the police or the spread of a deadly virus. The acts of violence and injustice against reporters covering the fight for Black lives against police brutality is unconscionable. It impedes the press’ ability to hold officials accountable and shed light on the fight for equality. While law enforcement advances on protesters and journalists, the public watches their rights, supposedly protected by those firing the bullets, being stripped away. The fight for a free press has been, and will continue to be, inextricably tied to the fight for racial justice. Journalists cannot be silenced for simply doing their job and we cannot be silent as we watch this brutality be further normalized.
Journalism in America is facing an existential threat from the monopolistic control of tech giants like Google, Facebook, and Apple. Big tech’s dominance over the digital advertising market and their unrivaled capacity to monetize its platforms are having drastic effects on journalism as a whole.
Follow the Save Journalism Project on Twitter.
This post based on a press release from Save Journalism Project to Zennie62Media.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Candal Vigil for Halyna Hutchinsn After Fatal Shooting October 24, 2021
- NFL LIVE : San Francisco 49ers vs Indianapolis Colts | NFL 2021 Week 7 October 24, 2021
- Victory Speech: Sean McVay Hands Out Game Balls After Week 7 Win vs. Lions October 24, 2021
- Coach Bisaccia, Carr, Ngakoue, Moreau, Miller and Drake Postgame Presser | Week 7 | Raiders | NFL October 24, 2021
- Philadelphia Eagles vs Las Vegas Raiders | Semana 7 2021 NFL Game Highlights October 24, 2021
- Santa Rosa apartment building, 95 homes evacuated due to flooding October 24, 2021
- Khalil Herbert Highlights from Week 7 | Chicago Bears October 24, 2021
- Storm Watch Forecast: The latest storm forecast from the KPIX 5 weather team October 24, 2021
- Mitchell Robinson With a KNEE INJURY 😨 October 24, 2021
- Golden State Warriors VS Sacramento Kings 10/24/21 Free NBA Picks And Prediction NBA Betting Tips October 24, 2021
- Khalil Herbert talks loss to Buccaneers | Chicago Bears October 24, 2021
- Justin Fields on loss to Tampa Bay: ‘We gotta continue to work’ | Chicago Bears October 24, 2021
- Roquan Smith: ‘Can’t let this game beat us twice’ | Chicago Bears October 24, 2021
- SNF LIVE: Indianapolis Colts @ San Francisco 49ers Live stream – 49ers vs. Colts LIVE October 24, 2021
- The Book of Eli! 49ers March Down the Field on the Ground October 24, 2021
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers vs Chicago Bears Full Highligh 2nd Quarter | NFL Week 7, 2021 October 24, 2021
- NC State vs. Miami Football Highlight (2021) October 24, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders vs Philadelphia Eagles Full Game Highlights | NFL Week 7 2021 October 24, 2021
- NBA Fan Makes $20,000 Half Court Shot October 24, 2021
- Google Account बनाना सीखे 2021 | 🧐Bilkul आसान Hai | Always Tech Knowledge October 24, 2021
- STORM TRACKER 2: Bay Area hit hard with heavy rain and strong wind October 24, 2021
- San Mateo Evacuation orders October 24, 2021
- RAIDERS vs. EAGLES Post-Game Show – LIVE from SAHARA Las Vegas October 24, 2021
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers vs Chicago Bears Full Highligh 3rd Quarter | NFL Week 7, 2021 October 24, 2021
- #2 Cincinnati vs Navy Football Game Highlights 10 23 2021 October 24, 2021
- Maryland at Minnesota | Big Ten Football | Oct. 23, 2021 | Extended Highlights October 24, 2021
- Bucs Celebrate After Win vs.Bears | Celebration Cam October 24, 2021
- Highlights: Rams Win Against Detroit Lions In Week 7 Matchup At SoFi Stadium October 24, 2021
- Mitchell Robinson COOKING UP the Magic With The Slam Dunks 🔥🔥 October 24, 2021
- Es Edge vs Seth Rollins la Lucha del 2021?: WWE Ahora Xpress, Oct 24, 2021 October 24, 2021
- Top Plays from Week 7 Win vs. Texans | Arizona Cardinals October 24, 2021
- The $20,000 Shot! 🤩 October 24, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders vs Philadelphia Eagles Highlights 4th Qtr | NFL Week 7 2021 October 24, 2021
- Carolina Panthers vs New York Giants Week 7 Full Highlights | NFL 2021 October 24, 2021
- Tennessee vs #4 Alabama Football Game Highlights 10 23 2021 October 24, 2021
- Jalen Green From Logo Range at the Buzzer! 🎯 October 24, 2021
- Oba Toppin with the Left Hand ALLEY-OOP Dunk vs Magic 🔥🔥 October 24, 2021
- Chicago Bears vs Tampa Bay Buccaneers | Semana 7 2021 NFL Game Highlights October 24, 2021
- Jalen Green DEEP THREE at the BUZZER 🔥 October 24, 2021
- Derek Carr’s Best Throws from 323-Yd Game vs. Eagles | NFL 2021 Highlights October 24, 2021