Sustainable, Healthy Use of Lake Merritt: Pilot Program Beginning this Weekend
The issues at Oakland’s Lake Merritt are complex, with groups having different needs and perspectives, all of which are important and that we are working to honor — families and elders facing challenging issues living at the Lake, entrepreneurs / vendors of color seeking economic stability during uncertain times, park users, and wildlife conservationists. In a recent update, I shared the Parks and Recreation Advisory Commission / PRAC’s recommendations for sustainable use of Lake Merritt, which sought to balance the two perspectives below:
What is going on around the Lake is not sustainable and must change ASAP.
People need healthy outdoor places to gather and engage in commercial activity, especially during these unprecedented times.
On September 16th, PRAC voted to recommend a pilot program to deter illegal parking and vending; promote compliance with park rules and County rules during COVID; and address challenges such as late night noise.
The City, in coordination with the Oakland Black Vendor Association, is developing this pilot for merchandise vendors to take place along El Embarcadero and in the Lakeview Library parking lot on weekends beginning this Saturday, October 3rd, 10am – 6pm. Note: If air quality reaches the 150+ Unhealthy level, the program will be postponed until next weekend.
The City of Oakland is working to resolve concerns related to late night noise, large gatherings prohibited under COVID, etc. in coordination with the launch of the pilot. Our goal is to reset the tone at the Lake and address the core issues that we’ve heard from neighbors, while also maintaining an inclusive, equitable and safe public space during COVID and beyond.
Oakland Police Department will work with our municipal code officers this weekend to warn vendors of increased enforcement action as the pilot begins, and my office will continue to engage and encourage vendors to participate in this new pilot.
We welcome your feedback. We are grateful to the Oakland City Administrator’s Office, City Departments, James “Old School” Copes, Oakland Black Vendors Association, and PRAC Commissioners for helping make this pilot happen quickly and supporting multiple, complex interests.
In addition, the Downtown Streets Team, has relaunched its Oakland Team to support unhoused individuals providing them with work beautifying Lake Merritt, including litter pick up around the Lake. In return for their volunteer services, Team Members receive a basic-needs stipend, case management, employment services, and a support network. Team Members are giving back to Oakland while working to overcome barriers to housing and employment. You may see the team beautifying the lake as they relaunch their program this month.
Note: post based on newsletter dated October 3rd, 2020.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Newsom weighs in on controversy over In-N-Out’s vaccine stance October 27, 2021
- Houston Astros with WILD 2nd inning! (Score 4 runs in chaotic fashion!) October 27, 2021
- Florida’s Manatees Are Dying in Record Numbers in 2021 Due to Food Shortage October 27, 2021
- What is COP26? October 27, 2021
- ABC 10 News San Diego KGTV Latest Headlines | October 27, 6pm October 27, 2021
- Scottie Barnes With the POSTER DUNK on Pacers 🔥 October 27, 2021
- John Salley on Will Staying with Jada After Her ‘Entanglement’ (Flashback) October 27, 2021
- Raskin: We Won’t Play ‘Hide And Seek’ With Targets Of Jan. 6 Subpoenas October 27, 2021
- Knicks @ Bulls- Thursday 10/28/21- NBA Betting Picks and Predictions | Picks & Parlays October 27, 2021
- Charlotte Hornets vs Orlando Magic – Full Game Highlights | October 27, 2021 | 2021-22 NBA Season October 27, 2021
- Why we still have daylight saving time October 27, 2021
- All-Access | 2021-2022 Warriors Opening Night at Chase Center October 27, 2021
- The Woke World Series: Leftist Hypocrites Miss a Big Opportunity | Ep 373 October 27, 2021
- Democrats’ Billionaire Tax Plan Puts About 700 People in Its Sights October 27, 2021
- Texas man could win $35.6 million if Astros win World Series October 27, 2021
- Blake Swished A Clean Over The Head Shot After The Whistle 😂 October 27, 2021
- NFL Trade Deadline: will the New England Patriots “Buy or Sell”? October 27, 2021
- GOP’s Execution System Halted In Oklahoma October 27, 2021
- Keke Palmer Says She Honored Ancestors Singing National Anthem At World Series | TMZ Sports October 27, 2021
- Brazil’s Bolsonaro could be charged for mishandling the pandemic October 27, 2021
- Nikita Dragun Wants To Educate Dave Chappelle On Transgender Community | TMZ October 27, 2021
- Look ahead to game 2 of the World Series October 27, 2021
- Deshaun Watson Trade To Miami DONE? Latest Dolphins Rumors On Acquiring The Franchise QB + Tua Talk October 27, 2021
- Law enforcement prepares to keep World Series crowds safe October 27, 2021
- World Series 2021 – Game 1 – National Anthem – Sang by Keke Palmer October 27, 2021
- Blake Griffin Does a H-O-R-S-E Shot after a call 😎 October 27, 2021
- ‘Wing-Nut Racism’: Howard Dean Crushes Ted Cruz October 27, 2021
- NFL refuses to release report on investigation of Washington Football Team October 27, 2021
- Calif. Urges Eligible Residents to Get COVID-19 Booster Shot as Holiday Season Nears October 27, 2021
- A happy rescue | Simba the lion finally home where he belongs October 27, 2021
- Call of Duty: Vanguard File Size Revealed | GameSpot News October 27, 2021
- Pat Beverley Gets Called for the New Rule Offensive Foul, Gives a Thumbs Up 👍 October 27, 2021
- JAY-Z Almost Spilled his Drink after BLAKE GRIFFIN DUNK 😂 October 27, 2021
- Travis d’Arnaud goes deep! Puts the Braves on the board in Game 2! October 27, 2021
- The soaring cost of inflation October 27, 2021
- Extreme weather events highlight U.S.’s failing infrastructure October 27, 2021
- 2021 World Series pits bitter Atlanta Braves against reviled Houston Astros October 27, 2021
- Event Marks Beginning of 100-Day Countdown to 2022 Beijing Olympics October 27, 2021
- San Diego Democratic Party pushes to ban state-sponsored horse racing October 27, 2021
- Group Helps Breast Cancer Survivors Find Adventure, Community And Inspiration October 27, 2021