With NFL Super Bowl LIV but one week away in Miami, and Kansas City PR representatives sending some interesting factoids about their great city, this post on “Kansas City then and now” is certainly timely.
For example, did you know that Kansas City is a vibrant metro in the heart of the U.S., known as “KC Heartland” and is home to 2.5 million people? Did you know that Kansas City is a center for technology, entrepreneurship and artistry? Or did you know that Kansas City’s headquartered companies include Hallmark, Garmin, Cerner, Sprint and H&R Block? I sure didn’t.
After all, it was 50 years ago that the Lamar Hunt-owned and Hank Stram-coached Kansas City Chiefs last appeared in a Super Bowl Game, let alone won one, so just how much has Kansas City, Missouri changed over that time? Its a fair bet all you know about is Arrowhead Stadium.
Well, there’s more to Kansas City.
Here are the five biggest transformations in Kansas City:
Kansas City has always been a drinking town, but in the last fifty years, Kansas City has morphed into one of the fastest-growing craft beverage destinations in the county. With over 35 breweries in the region, from Boulevard Brewing Co. to Brewery Emperial to Cinder Block Brewery, KC has tapped into the growing audience thirsty for fresh, local beer. Last year also marked the opening of the new J. Rieger & Co. distillery and spirits destination in Kansas City’s historic Electric Park neighborhood, which was just named one of the country’s Best New Attractions by USA Today.
With $6.7 billion spent on recent development and $1.6 billion under construction, downtown Kansas City (a virtual ghost town outside work hours in 1970) has become a thriving, 24-hour cultural hub, complete with a free streetcar. With over 120,000 employees and nearly 30,000 residents living in renovated historic buildings and glitzy new condo towers (some occupied by Chiefs players), this Heartland city now boasts an array of entertainment and dining options, including the Crossroad Arts District, the Sprint Center and the Power and Light District. Downtown Kansas City is home to restaurants with dozens of James Beard-recognized chefs, including Michael Smith, Michael Corvino, Celina Tio, and Howard Hanna.
Mecca for makers and entrepreneurs:
With entrepreneurial support assets including the Kauffman Foundation, KC ranks first in the nation for its startup growth rate,
according to Inc. magazine. Kansas City’s maker movement is capitalizing on KC’s pride, with companies including Charlie Hustle (creator of the popular KC heart t-shirts) taking off. With exclusive licensing deals with athletes like Patrick Mahomes, Charlie Hustle continues to grow and scale – making the Inc. 5000 list multiple years running.
Airport of the future :
During Super Bowl IV, a new airport was being built north of the existing airport in downtown Kansas City, Missouri. The world of air travel has changed since the 70’s and now, fifty years later, work is underway on a brand-new $1.5B new terminal at Kansas City International Airport. Fit for
the modern traveler, the new single-terminal will debut in early 2023 and will feature 39 gates, updated amenities and new dining options. The airport will also feature airfield views (so fans can watch the Chiefs come home after an away game), live music by local musicians and art installations.
In 1970, the KC Chiefs’ Arrowhead Stadium was being constructed alongside the Royals’ Kauffman Stadium; this side-by-side baseball and football stadium concept was the first of its kind. A $375 million renovation project Arrowhead was completed in 2010, preserving and modernizing its revered seating bowl and adding 500,000 square feet of space for fan amenities and comfort. Two high-definition video displays were retrofitted into
the existing football-shaped displays in both end zones. Fun fact: the energy of Chiefs fans helped Arrowhead Stadium set the Guinness World Record for the ‘Loudest Outdoor Stadium,’ reaching 142.2 decibels during a New England Patriots game on Sept. 29, 2014.
It’s true that a lot has changed since the Kansas City Chiefs were last in the Super Bowl, but it’s safe to say that its famed BBQ, jazz, fountains and the metro’s low cost of living (Hear that, Oakland and San Francisco?) aren’t going anywhere. For more information, visit KC.org.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Bills vs Titans Week 6 Highlights | NFL 2021 October 19, 2021
- Kate Scott embraces Philly as Sixers season begins | Sixers Talk October 19, 2021
- Every Touchdown Scored In Week 6 | NFL 2021 Highlights October 19, 2021
- Bills vs. Titans Week 6 Highlights | NFL 2021 October 19, 2021
- Buffalo Bills vs Tennessee Titans Highlights 4th Qtr | NFL Season 2021 October 19, 2021
- Buffalo Bills vs Tennessee Titans Highlights 3rd Qtr | NFL Season 2021 October 19, 2021
- Train hauling corrosive acid derails at Port of Oakland October 19, 2021
- Buffalo Bills vs. Tennessee Titans HIGHLIGHTs 4th-Qtr | Week 6 NFL Sunday, October 18,2021 October 18, 2021
- Buffalo Bills vs. Tennessee Titans HIGHLIGHTs 2nd-Qtr | Week 6 NFL Sunday, October 18,2021 October 18, 2021
- Buffalo Bills vs. Tennessee Titans HIGHLIGHTs 3rd-Qtr | Week 6 NFL Sunday, October 18,2021 October 18, 2021
- Buffalo Bills vs Tennessee Titans Highlights 2nd Qtr | NFL Season 2021 October 18, 2021
- Oakland Hills Firestorm Community Comeback Film Photos with Olympus OM 2n on Kodak Gold October 18, 2021
- 🏈 LIVE| Buffalo Bills vs Tennessee Titans – 2021 NFL Game Week 6 October 18, 2021
- Reacting to the Las Vegas Raiders’ first game without Jon Gruden | KJM October 18, 2021
- The Silver and Black Respond With Impressive Win in Denver | Raiders Gameday | NFL October 18, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Ex Players Who Played For Gruden Speak About Jon Gruden By Eric Pangilinan October 18, 2021
- Buffalo Bills vs. Tennessee Titans HIGHLIGHTs | Week 6 NFL Sunday, October 18,2021 October 18, 2021
- 1 Otp = ₹156🔴LIVE | New Earning Apps 2021 | Free Paytm Cash Daily Earn ₹1560 |Best Earning App October 18, 2021
- Gabby Petito’s heartbroken family make desperate plea in search for justice | 60 Minutes Australia October 18, 2021
- Buffalo Bills vs Tennessee Titans Highlights 1st Qtr | NFL Season 2021 October 18, 2021
- “SHOW I.D. OR GET OUT!!” SAN FRANCISCO FEDERAL BUILDING FIRST AMENDMENT October 18, 2021
- NFL Trade Rumors On Odell Beckham, Von Miller, Saquon Barkley, Jimmy Garoppolo + Dak Prescott Injury October 18, 2021
- Bye Bye New England! INSANE Ending Cowboys vs. Patriots October 18, 2021
- Nation’s Top Cannabis Companies Partner to Deliver Point of Purchase Data on Cannabis Products to Consumers, Manufacturers October 18, 2021
- West Oakland Skate Park Fire October 18, 2021
- Film Study: Derek Carr was incredible for the Las Vegas Raiders Vs the Denver Broncos October 18, 2021
- 1044 Aquarius Way Oakland CA | Oakland Homes for Sale October 18, 2021
- 4601 Grass Valley Rd Oakland CA | Oakland Homes for Sale October 18, 2021
- 30 years since firestorm tore through Oakland hills October 18, 2021
- FIRST TAKE | Stephen A. EXCITED Las Vegas Raiders win vs. Denver Broncos, after Gruden’s resignation October 18, 2021