Steph Walton is not pulling punches in the Oakland City Council District One Race. She’s openly accusing Oakland Councilmember Dan Kalb of money laundering.
She’s referring to an Oakland City Attorney court filing that the City Attorney has yet to confirm to Zennie62Media. (This is far, far too sensitive to just link to another “gotcha” news site without checking on it here, first.) That written, here’s the press release Steph Walton has posted on Facebook:
For Immediate Release: Sept 17, 2020
Steph Dominguez Walton Calls on Incumbent CM Dan Kalb to Return Allegedly Laundered Money and Address Other Fundraising Controversies
Oakland, CA – In response to the recent fundraising controversies surrounding incumbent Councilmember Dan Kalb and others, community leader and city council candidate Steph Dominguez Walton released the following statement:
“It has come to light in a court filing by the City Attorney of Oakland (see document at the end of this post text) that Councilmember Kalb accepted allegedly laundered campaign donations on behalf of a city contractor that has been overcharging Oakland and collecting millions of dollars of undeserved profit. I’m calling on Councilmember Kalb to immediately return these contributions and account for why he accepted them under questionable circumstances. A court filing by the City Attorney explains that multiple checks ‘were given in a single bundle directly to Dan Kalb,’ without disclosing legally required information. This reflects a pattern of questionable conduct that is unbecoming of a member of our city council. We need a change in District 1.”
Kalb has also been linked to other controversies raising ethical concerns, including:
● He accepted at least $1800 from Schnitzer Steel, including $800 in the current election. Schnitzer’s facility emits more toxic air contaminants in West Oakland than any other and has a long history of non-compliance with hazardous waste laws. Kalb’s fundraising filings are available here. Schnitzer Steel’s donation is pictured below.
● Kalb and others accepted and used numerous tickets to Warriors and Oakland A’s games, prompting an investigation by the Public Ethics Commission, which found that he failed to properly report 144 tickets.
● He accepted two VIP tickets, each worth $1,000, to see Michelle Obama speak at Oracle Arena and have a photo-op. He also accepted tickets to attend a Taylor Swift concert in 2018.
● The San Francisco Ethics Commission found that Kalb’s failed campaign for the San Francisco Board of Supervisors did not properly account for over $16,000 in expenditures.
● The SF Chronicle reported that Kalb requested a campaign contribution from a local restaurant owner after receiving an email sent to the entire council about damage to his restaurant during a protest. The restaurant industry has been hard hit in the pandemic and this restaurant is not located in Kalb’s district.
Longtime D1 resident and community leader, Steph Dominguez Walton has assembled a fierce challenge to 8-year incumbent Kalb. She has won prominent local endorsements and recently announced she raised more in-district money than Kalb. For more about Steph’s campaign, please visit www.stephforoakalnd.com.
Well, stay tuned. I have to ask Dan Kalb about this. Steph Walton, drawing first blood.
UPDATE: Zennie Abraham Interviews Councilmember Dan Kalb
In this talk, over 30 minutes long, Councilmember Kalb says he welcomes the investigation by the Oakland Public Ethics Commission and says he did nothing wrong. It must be noted that Dan is not listed as the defendant in this case. I also personally object to the Oakland Public Ethics Commission advancing a court filing during an election race. A number of states prohibit such actions; California should too.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Why Vish was So Impressed with 49ers QB Trey Lance’s First Start October 19, 2021
- San Francisco 49ers News & Rumors On DeForest Buckner, 49ers Injury Report, Trade Candidates | Q&A October 19, 2021
- MINOR LEAGUE PLAYERS HAVE A PLACE TO LIVE || Starting 9 October 19, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Maxx Crosby Early Candidate For Defense Player Of The Year By Eric Pangilinan October 19, 2021
- San Francisco, Tourism Industry Offer Cash Rewards To Stop Auto Burglary Fencing Operations October 19, 2021
- 882 Alma Pl, Oakland, CA, 94610 October 19, 2021
- Joel Embiid press conference after Ben Simmons was suspended during Sixers practice October 19, 2021
- The Offset Jim Interview: Coming Up in Oakland, Rich Off The Pack, Moving to NYC & More October 19, 2021
- CBS Correspondent Takes a Flying Car Up for a Spin October 19, 2021
- Meet Maxx Crosby’s Rescue Pit Bulls | Episode 2 | Crosby’s Crib | Raiders | NFL October 19, 2021
- TikTok star robbed at gunpoint in San Francisco October 19, 2021
- Top 15 Plays of Week 6 | NFL 2021 Highlights October 19, 2021
- Google Event 2021 Reaction: Pixel 6 Pro Launch October 19, 2021
- All-Access with the Golden State Warriors Veterans October 19, 2021
- Neighbor rescues man from burning home in San Francisco October 19, 2021
- The 1991 Oakland Hills Fire October 19, 2021
- Seahawks Trade Rumors: 4 Players Who Could Get Dealt Before The NFL Trade Deadline Ft. Quandre Diggs October 19, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders My Apology Amari Cooper Didn’t Say Jon Gruden Was A Racist By Eric Pangilinan October 19, 2021
- Lake Merritt is a large tidal lagoon in the center of Oakland, California, just east of Downtown October 19, 2021
- Red Sox Fans Troll A Rod With Savage Bennifer Chants At MLB Playoffs… October 19, 2021
- CBS San Francisco: Residents Are So Upset With Crime They Are Hiring Private Security October 19, 2021
- Astros vs. Red Sox ALCS Game 3 Highlights (10/18/21) | MLB Highlights October 19, 2021
- Yet Another Bank of America, SBA EIDL Horror Story Sent For Blogging October 19, 2021
- Cowboy Bebop | Official Teaser “Lost Session” | Netflix October 19, 2021
- Cowboy Bebop | Opening Credits | Netflix October 19, 2021
- Intellectual Property Law Issues in Non Fungible Tokens (NFTs) October 19, 2021
- The New Future Of YouTube | YouTube Video NFTs – Non-Fungible Tokens | RetroPie Guy October 19, 2021
- Drugstores Blame Shoplifting for Locked Up Shelves October 19, 2021
- Nationwide spike in shoplifting October 19, 2021
- Mondays With Vish: Will the 49ers Bounce Back After the Bye Week? October 19, 2021