ONN – Some Oakland Landords Violating Eviction Moratorium, City Can Take Action Against Lawbreakers
A number of viewers have reported to me, unfortunately, that they are being harassed by either their landlord, or lawyers representing the landlords, and basically being told to get out. In other words, they’re trying to evict them because of non-payment of rent.
This is happening as recently as today: to one of my viewers who happens to be disabled, and reached out to me. I, in turn, had reached out to number people in the City of Oakland.
Here is the message: The Oakland City Council’s action establishes a moratorium on the evictions, and comes with an enforcement capability by the city itself. if the City of Oakland chooses to enforce that – and remember it has the police power to do so – it could, at least in one instance depending on the individual case, end with a landlord or even the lawyer violating the law find (and in one case depending on that person’s behavior) themselves in jail.
So follow the law: back off on tenants. It is not the purpose of the law to allow a tenant to skip out on paying rent. No. Every tenant is expected to pay their rent, and when the moratorium is lifted, then the landlord can go about collecting for unpaid rent.
Hopefully, in the best case, the federal government steps in and provides enough money such that tenants who are in arrears are able to catch up.
The City of Oakland’s eviction moratorium law also has a “Good Samaritan” provision, where lawyers are encouraged to reduce the amount that’s owed by the tenant. And in many cases, considering the gigantic unemployment numbers that face the United States and indeed the world, that’s quite desirable.
So this isn’t business as usual. We’re in a crisis. You can’t call people as if it’s business as usual, harass them, threaten and frighten them. Those actions are illegal in the City of Oakland, which, far more than many cities in the United States, if not the world, has an excellent mechanism to punish you for such behavior.
The best action is to stop and work as a partner with your tenants.
Note from Zennie62Media and Oakland News Now: this video-blog post demonstrates the full and live operation of the latest updated version of an experimental Zennie62Media , Inc. mobile media video-blogging system network that was launched June 2018. This is a major part of Zennie62Media , Inc.’s new and innovative approach to the production of news media. What we call “The Third Wave of Media”. The uploaded video is from a vlogger with the Zennie62 on YouTube Partner Channel, then uploaded to and formatted automatically at the Oakland News Now site and Zennie62-created and owned social media pages. The overall objective is smartphone-enabled, real-time, on the scene reporting of news, interviews, observations, and happenings anywhere in the World and within seconds and not hours. Now, news is reported with a smartphone: no heavy and expensive cameras or even a laptop are necessary. The secondary objective is faster, and very inexpensive media content news production and distribution. We have found there is a disconnect between post length and time to product and revenue generated. With this, the problem is far less, though by no means solved. Zennie62Media is constantly working to improve the system network coding and seeks interested content and media technology partners.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Oakland Police possibly to Arrest Me for Protest by Derrick Soo
- Oakland News Now at OaklandNewsNow.com Is The Most Advanced Active News Blog Website Ever In Oakland
- 2021 NFL Mock Draft V2 Livestream By Zennie62Media For April 17th
- Former Oakland Mayor Elihu Harris On ESPN 30-For-30 Raiders Al Davis vs. NFL – The Aftermath
- Elihu Harris Former Oakland Mayor On ESPN 30-For-30, “Al Davis Versus The NFL”
- Walk Down MacArthur Blvd To Grand Av In Oakland Adams Point Made Into Instagram Art
- Oakland Marriott City Center Has Striking Mural Of Young Black Girl At Play That’s Amazing
- Detroit Tigers vs Oakland Athletics Highlights April 16, 2021 – MLB Highlights | MLB Season 2021
- Peaceful Demonstration Over Deadly Police Shootings Turns Violent in Oakland
- Demonstration in Oakland to Protest Police Shootings Turns Violent
- Kevin Samuels And Kevin Durant Use White-Owned Social Media To Say Bad Things About Black Folks
- Oakland NAACP Response to District Curriculum Adoption Recommendation.
- COVID-19 Vaccine At Dodger Stadium – By Joseph Armendariz
- The Alley Cat Bar In Oakland At 3325 Grand Avenue To Reopen Thursday April 22 2021
- Erica Chapman Makeup Artist In Deshaun Watson Lawsuit Poses Prostitute Problem For Tony Buzbee
- Marshawn Lynch: Sitting Down With Dr. Anthony Fauci
- OUSD Oakland Girls To Be In Soroptimist International’s “Steps to Success” On Saturday
- Derrick Soo Says WhereDoWeGoOakland.tv, A Remarkable Oakland Housing Effort, Is Active
- Sam Wilson Becomes Captain America In The Epic Falcon And The Winter Soldier Episode 5
- President Joe Biden Statement On The Mass Shooting In Indianapolis, Indiana