Social Distancing is a new and unfortunately necessary practice we all have been asked to do in order to “flatten the curve” – or reduce the likelihood that the Coronavirus will spread. Unfortunately, some in Oakland, particularly at Lake Merritt, and notably runners around it, have not gotten the message.
This has led to a number of complaints, and to this vlog I made on Monday, below, called “Oakland Runners Must Give Six Feet Of Space To Walkers During Pandemic“. I note that “There are a number of complaints that Oakland runners are not giving others six-feet of space and recognizing social distancing. One elderly man noted this, so I vlogged about it.”
The Oakland Social Distancing Problem, to give it a formal name, has become so common that it’s given rise to a number of posts about it on Nextdoor, the civic local social media site. Here are some examples:
6 ‘ at the lake
I’m running about lake Merritt every day, and I’m concerned that people are not keeping 6’ distance. I often have to run on the grass or roadway to avoid others. Here are a few ideas that might help:
1. If you are picnicking or otherwise stationary, could you please sit at least 6 ‘ feet from any pathway? If you sit right next to the walking path you are risking getting yourself or others infected.
2. If walking or running, how about staying the far right as possible, as you would if you were driving? If you are in a group, please do this single file whenever you have someone approaching from the other direction.
3. Speaking of groups, I see some large groups walking or sitting together near the lake. Some of these groups don’t appear to be household members but they are less than 6′ apart.
I suggest we all remind each other that if one is not part of the solution then they are part of the problem.
Now a question for you: Gavin Newsom thinks we will self-police; how can we do this politely? Maybe we could remind others by calling out “6 feet please” or “Remember the five”? I would like a way to do it so that everyone knows it is kind. I think that somehow we need to start to call out if the 6’ rule or the coughing into elbow rule is not followed. On the latter I see lots of people cough on my daily run, I have yet to see a single person direct it into their elbow.
I switched to running the cemetery. There are enough individuals out there who will never change and be a hazard to everyone. There’s plenty of space in the cemetery and most of the people are 6’ under
I walked around the lake today 3/23. I kept to the edge of the sidewalk, I had at least 10 runners come up right next to me within 3 feet, enough to clearly hear their breathing. When this happened for the 10th time, I started putting my arm out, so they would at least have to give me 3′ clearance. There was plenty of room to pass with a 6′ space between. I just hope that everyone will respect each other’s right to safety and just do a simple thing like keeping a 6′ distance.
Some people just don’t get it yet or take it seriously. Putting your arm out was a good way to let them know what they need to do. Hopefully they learned and people will get used to and adhere to the new norm quickly.
Just as a note, the World Heath Organization reports that social distancing, alone, will not stop the spread of the Coronavirus “Asking people to stay at home and other physical distancing measures are an important way to slow down the spread of the virus and buy time, but they are defensive measures that won’t help us to win,” Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said at a press briefing. “To win, we need to attack the virus with aggressive and targeted tactics,” he added.
According to the New York Post, Tedros said countries hit with the virus also need to implement tactics such as isolating and caring for every confirmed case, as well as tracing and quarantining all of the patient’s close contacts.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Julianna Margulies on playing an LGBTQ+ character on “The Morning Show” October 25, 2021
- Storm dumps fresh snow across the sierra October 25, 2021
- Jumpsuit Plus Sizes / Women’s Clothing Boutique Fashion Trends 💕 October 25, 2021
- Turk: If I Was Still an Addict, I Would Look for the Drugs that Killed Michael K Williams (Part 15) October 25, 2021
- Citigroup CEO: ‘Very tangible benefits’ come from digital currencies October 25, 2021
- Finn Bálor’s Demon summons him: WWE Canvas 2 Canvas October 25, 2021
- Awarding the Best Performances of Week 7 | Good Morning Football October 25, 2021
- New Jersey Governor: We Can’t Afford To Go Backwards October 25, 2021
- Sexy Stylish Skirts / Women’s Clothing Boutique Fashion Trends 🌸 October 25, 2021
- #Shorts Rachel Scott of ABC News gives us a news brief on Texas Abortion Law Consequences October 25, 2021
- Verizon Game Rewind | Warriors Complete California Sweep in Sacramento – Oct. 24, 2021 October 25, 2021
- BREAKING: Petrol price hits a record 142.94p per litre October 25, 2021
- Understanding Facebook’s issues ahead of the company’s Q3 earnings report October 25, 2021
- Rex Ryan does NOT believe in the Green Bay Packers’ defense | Get Up October 25, 2021
- ‘Squid Game’ sparks global Korean Dalgona candy craze October 25, 2021
- Top African goalscorers | Premier League | Riyad Mahrez, Mohamed Salah, Didier Drogba & more October 25, 2021
- Braves headed to the World Series for the first time since 1999 October 25, 2021
- Citigroup CEO Jane Fraser joins Yahoo Finance’s All Markets Summit 2021 October 25, 2021
- ‘Day of reckoning’ for tech industry, Lo Toney says October 25, 2021
- WorldView: Sudan’s acting prime minister detained in apparent military coup October 25, 2021
- Jason Sudeikis Reprises His Joe Biden Impression On ‘Saturday Night Live’ October 25, 2021
- World Series Preview: Astros, Braves show down in 2021 Fall Classic! October 25, 2021
- Tamron Hall talks new book, ‘As the Wicked Watch’ October 25, 2021
- Andrew Ross Sorkin: Facebook Controversies Won’t Impact Company’s Bottom Line October 25, 2021
- Republicans block voting rights bill as filibuster threatens Biden’s agenda October 25, 2021
- Citigroup CEO on inflation: ‘We’re probably in for a bit of a brutal winter’ October 25, 2021
- Nikki A.S.H Learns Things About India: WWE Superstars Ki Paathshala – Ep.3: WWE Now India October 25, 2021
- Alissa Violet SUING FaZe Clan for Shares of $300 Million Org October 25, 2021
- Robert Costa: Trump Was Calling Into Willard ‘War Room’ October 25, 2021
- Setting Up A Make-Or-Break Week For Infrastructure: Where Are We? October 25, 2021
- NBA Picks 10/25/2021 | Free NBA Bets, Picks, and Predictions October 25, 2021
- Boris Johnson ‘Touch and Go’ If COP26 Climate Summit Will Be a Success October 25, 2021
- Protests Erupt in Sudan As Prime Minister Arrested in Military Takeover October 25, 2021
- Surprising Banks With His Dream Gift October 25, 2021
- SQUID GAME In Real Life October 25, 2021
- You CAN OWN FaZe Clan, Goes Public in $1 BILLION Merger October 25, 2021
- #Greeny’s Takes after Week 7: Joe Burrow & the Bengals, Kyler Murray and more October 25, 2021
- SEC Chair Gensler: ‘January highlighted our inherent conflicts’ October 25, 2021
- Basic Fun! CEO discusses supply chain shortages October 25, 2021
- 2021 NFL Helmet Challenge October 25, 2021