Social Distancing is a new and unfortunately necessary practice we all have been asked to do in order to “flatten the curve” – or reduce the likelihood that the Coronavirus will spread. Unfortunately, some in Oakland, particularly at Lake Merritt, and notably runners around it, have not gotten the message.
This has led to a number of complaints, and to this vlog I made on Monday, below, called “Oakland Runners Must Give Six Feet Of Space To Walkers During Pandemic“. I note that “There are a number of complaints that Oakland runners are not giving others six-feet of space and recognizing social distancing. One elderly man noted this, so I vlogged about it.”
The Oakland Social Distancing Problem, to give it a formal name, has become so common that it’s given rise to a number of posts about it on Nextdoor, the civic local social media site. Here are some examples:
6 ‘ at the lake
I’m running about lake Merritt every day, and I’m concerned that people are not keeping 6’ distance. I often have to run on the grass or roadway to avoid others. Here are a few ideas that might help:
1. If you are picnicking or otherwise stationary, could you please sit at least 6 ‘ feet from any pathway? If you sit right next to the walking path you are risking getting yourself or others infected.
2. If walking or running, how about staying the far right as possible, as you would if you were driving? If you are in a group, please do this single file whenever you have someone approaching from the other direction.
3. Speaking of groups, I see some large groups walking or sitting together near the lake. Some of these groups don’t appear to be household members but they are less than 6′ apart.
I suggest we all remind each other that if one is not part of the solution then they are part of the problem.
Now a question for you: Gavin Newsom thinks we will self-police; how can we do this politely? Maybe we could remind others by calling out “6 feet please” or “Remember the five”? I would like a way to do it so that everyone knows it is kind. I think that somehow we need to start to call out if the 6’ rule or the coughing into elbow rule is not followed. On the latter I see lots of people cough on my daily run, I have yet to see a single person direct it into their elbow.
I switched to running the cemetery. There are enough individuals out there who will never change and be a hazard to everyone. There’s plenty of space in the cemetery and most of the people are 6’ under
I walked around the lake today 3/23. I kept to the edge of the sidewalk, I had at least 10 runners come up right next to me within 3 feet, enough to clearly hear their breathing. When this happened for the 10th time, I started putting my arm out, so they would at least have to give me 3′ clearance. There was plenty of room to pass with a 6′ space between. I just hope that everyone will respect each other’s right to safety and just do a simple thing like keeping a 6′ distance.
Some people just don’t get it yet or take it seriously. Putting your arm out was a good way to let them know what they need to do. Hopefully they learned and people will get used to and adhere to the new norm quickly.
Just as a note, the World Heath Organization reports that social distancing, alone, will not stop the spread of the Coronavirus “Asking people to stay at home and other physical distancing measures are an important way to slow down the spread of the virus and buy time, but they are defensive measures that won’t help us to win,” Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said at a press briefing. “To win, we need to attack the virus with aggressive and targeted tactics,” he added.
According to the New York Post, Tedros said countries hit with the virus also need to implement tactics such as isolating and caring for every confirmed case, as well as tracing and quarantining all of the patient’s close contacts.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Mock Draft Live Two Weeks Away From The 2021 NFL Draft
- 1974 Oakland Raiders Season
- Oakland Athletics Post-Game From Phoenix By Richard Haick
- Oakland Public Library: Hora De Cuentos: 5 En La Cama
- Oakland Athletics at Arizona Diamondbacks at Chase Field in Phoenix by Richard Haick
- US Calls For Pause On Johnson & Johnson Vaccine | TODAY
- Paul Flores, Rubin Flores: Kristin Smart Case Suspects Arrested, Sheriffs To Announce Updates
- Bishop O’Dowd at San Leandro Football 4.1.21 | Jesse Madden vs Demetrius Freeney
- Justin Fields Is Smartest QB In 2021 NFL Draft With Insane Aptitude Test Score
- Oakland Jobs: Waste Management Hiring Oakland California Residents At WM.com
- City Of Oakland Launches New Poet Laureate Program
- Oakland Fire Department Announced Oakland City Council Approved Return Of Full Service April 13th
- Exploring The Bay Area: Lake Chabot Park, Oakland, California Vlog
- Turf Toy On YouTube Brings 3-Wheel Slingshot SL To Oakland California
- Gina Champion-Cain San Diego Businesswoman Gets 15 Years In Prison For $400 Million Ponzi Scheme
- Grand Lake Theater Oakland Staff Fundraiser Short Of $35K Goal At $30,283 As Of April 13 2021
- 2/24/21 OUSD School Board Meeting – Resolution for Reparations for Black Students
- Oakland Police Chief LeRonne L. Armstrong Press Conference On Weekend Violence 4/12/ 21
- Oakland City Council Unanimously Votes To Use $10 Million To Restore Vital Community Services
- Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ Sauce Good On Greens, Fish, Shrimp, And Pasta. Mark Zuckerberg, Thanks!