Oakland, Ca – On Tuesday night, April 16th 2019, Oakland’s full City Council voted on whether or not to collect the Measure AA tax (Children’s Initiative of 2018).
Last year, Measure “AA” was put forth to Oakland voters. The measure received about 62 percent voter approval and on the official election site of Alameda County, including Oakland’s City Attorney, Barbara Parker’s ballot statement, stated that it would require a two-thirds vote, which would call for at least 66 percent voter approval.
In December of 2018, the Oakland City Council, which included three Councilmembers who are no longer on the City Council – Campbell Washington (D4), Guillen (D2), Brooks (D6) – voted to certify Measure AA as passing with 6 ayes, 1 no (McElhaney) and 1 absent (Brooks).
Councilmember Sheng Thao’s statement (District 4 representative):
“I’m a strong supporter of Early Childhood Education and openly supported and voted for Measure AA when it was on the ballot this past November. My vote tonight at Council to NOT collect Measure AA tax is about maintaining the voters’ trust, integrity and ensuring transparency with Oakland voters.”
The motion passes Tuesday to NOT collect the tax, thus the Council will be directing the City Administrator not to collect first year Measure AA tax and the City Council will review the issue in a year to see where litigation lies.
Related Posts (YARPP)
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Adam Schefter Told Dan Patrick His Aaron Rogers Story Draft Day Story Was Made Up, Not From The QB
- 415 20th Street Thomas Berkeley Building Should Be Live / Work To Add Housing In Oakland
- Carroll Fife, District 3 Oakland Councilmember, Talks Housing And Homeless Problems With Experts
- Mandela Station At West Oakland BART Shows New City In City
- Self-Service Buffets Return To Las Vegas Strip
- Dogecoin Cools After Week Of Dramatic Growth Ahead Of Elon Musk On SNL
- Oakland Police Department On Unsolved Homicide Of Henry Texada
- Oakland Police Captain Jones With Ceasefire, Captain Holmgren Talk Violent Crime
- Mass Vaccination Site at Oakland Coliseum Closing
- Leigh Steinberg Talks NFL Post 2021 Draft – Will COVID-19 Be The Same Problem As 2020?
- Carroll Fife Oakland District 3 Councilmember On Housing, Homelessness, and Reform
- This Bullying Oakland Mayor Schaaf Has Gone Too Far – Terrorizing Libby As Evil As Police Brutality
- SpaceX’s Starship SN15 Makes First Landing Without Exploding
- John Jones Has A Major Surprise For Oakland California Friends, Politicians
- Oakland Planning Commission Approved Giant 415 20th Skyscraper Ignores Homeless – Thomas Berkeley?
- Oakland Planning Commission Meets Livestream On 415 20th, The Tallest Building In Oakland, If Built
- Oakland And San Francisco Hire California Movers USA For Your Next Relocation
- 415 20th Street Will Be Oakland’s Tallest Building, Draw 3,800 Employees – Planning Commission Says It Has No Impact
- Oakland Lacrosse Club, Oakland Athletic League, OUSD Partner For Girls Lacrosse League
- Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow: The Futurism Of Walt Disney