Oakland, CA – The City of Oakland is currently working on the 2-year City Budget (FY 2019 – 2021). In early May, Mayor Schaaf released her proposed City budget, the City Council is currently considering amendments to the proposal and intends to adopt a balanced budget on-time. Under the Consolidated Fiscal Policy, the Council President Rebecca Kaplan can offer amendments to the Mayor’s budget, last week Council President Kaplan released her proposed amendments.
District 4 Councilmember Sheng Thao applauds Council President Rebecca Kaplan (At Large) for restoring the 8.5 Full Time Employees in the Parks & Rec Department that were frozen under Mayor Schaaf’s proposed budget. The Administration acknowledged that if these positions remain frozen, it would mostly affect parks that do not generate revenue by reducing critical services to those parks.
“Our parks and open spaces are incredibly important to the community city-wide, that is why I am pleased to see President Kaplan unfreezing those park positions” said Thao in a statement. “Our parks are already not being serviced at an adequate level and freezing these positions would only worsen the current reality. Moving forward, we need to work together to create an on-going and dedicated source of revenue that will adequately fund the necessary maintenance to ensure all Oaklanders can enjoy the city’s parks and open spaces.” continued Thao.
In Council President Rebecca Kaplan’s proposed amendments to the Mayor’s proposed budget, she merged the Oakland Department of Transportation back into the Public Works Department.
“I strongly disagree with Council President Kaplan’s proposal to eliminate the Department of Transportation. District 4 and the entire City of Oakland is continuing to feel the effects of our worsening streets and roads, we need a department with a single mission to focus on improving our infrastructure, including repaving our streets and filling in the potholes.” said Thao. “There is still a lot of work to be done within the Department of Transportation to improve service delivery, but I hope that my colleagues will join me and continue to fund this critical position.”
Sheng Thao represents District 4 which includes the neighborhoods of Allendale, Fairfax, Crestmont, Dimond, Laurel, Joaquin Miller, Montclair, Piedmont Pines, and Redwood Heights. She is the Chair of the Rules and Legislation Committee, and is a member of Finance and Management, Public Works, Education Partnership and City & Port Liaison Committees. Councilmember Thao is also one of the City of Oakland’s representative at the Alameda County of Transportation Commission.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Kev Choice Tribute to Michael Morgan October 20, 2021
- Best of Week 7 of the 2021 College Football Season – Part 1 ᴴᴰ October 20, 2021
- Astros vs. Red Sox ALCS Game 4 Highlights (10/19/21) | MLB Highlights October 20, 2021
- Skateboarders Making Pilgrimage to San Francisco’s Pier 7, Following Vandalism October 20, 2021
- NEW NBA odds released, plus MLB playoffs and NFL WEEK 6 Recap October 20, 2021
- 30 Years Later: East Bay Remembers Oakland Hills Fire October 20, 2021
- San Francisco In N Out temporarily closed over city’s proof of COVID 19 October 20, 2021
- Public Enemy – 30th Anniversary Oaktown’s On Fire! – Kaiser Conv. Center – Oakland, CA – 10/20/1991 October 20, 2021
- Anthrax – 30th Anniversary Oaktown’s On Fire! – Kaiser Convention Center – Oakland, CA – 10/20/1991 October 20, 2021
- Primus – 30th Anniversary Oaktown’s On Fire! – Kaiser Convention Center – Oakland, CA – 10/20/1991 October 20, 2021
- Lakers Postgame: Anthony Davis (10/19/21) October 20, 2021
- Mark Zuckerberg’s Post On Facebook’s Impact On America Forgets U.S. Diversity Makes It Ripe Target For Hate Content October 20, 2021
- Lakers Postgame: LeBron James (10/19/21) October 20, 2021
- Lakers Postgame: Frank Vogel (10/19/21) October 20, 2021
- Oakland PD Hates On Doja October 20, 2021
- Astros vs Red Sox Game 4 Highlights | MLB 2021 October 20, 2021
- HIGHLIGHTS | Los Angeles Lakers vs Golden State Warriors October 20, 2021
- HIGHLIGHTS | LeBron James (34 pts, 5 ast, 11 reb) vs Golden State Warriors October 20, 2021
- HIGHLIGHTS | Anthony Davis (33 pts, 11 reb) vs Golden State Warriors October 20, 2021
- Stephen Curry Tallies a Triple-Double in Season Opener! | Oct. 19, 2021 October 20, 2021
- Oakland City Council Unanimously Approves Vice Mayor Rebecca Kaplan’s Proposal To Support Litigation Against Ghost Guns October 20, 2021
- Henry Ruggs III Mic’d Up vs. Broncos: ‘All Bama on the Board!’ | Week 6 | Las Vegas Raiders | NFL October 20, 2021
- Boxing Sandor Martin Stuns Boxing World By Defeating Former Champ Mikey Garcia By Eric Pangilinan October 19, 2021
- Meet Jon Bean, Oakland Rising’s Deputy Director Taks With Liz Suk, Executive Director October 19, 2021
- Philadelphia Eagles vs Las Vegas Raiders | Week 7 NFL Game Preview October 19, 2021
- Oakland hills firestorm marks 30th anniversary October 19, 2021
- 30 years later: Remembering the Oakland Hills Fire October 19, 2021
- Los Bukis ULTIMO CONCIERTO 2021 Oakland CA I Mi Mayor Necesidad October 19, 2021
- In-N-Out Burger in Battle With San Francisco Health Officials Over COVID Rules October 19, 2021
- Braves vs Dodgers Game 3 Highlights | MLB 2021 October 19, 2021