ONN – Scott McKibben Coliseum JPA Ouster Puts Oakland Sports In Larry Reid, Nate Miley’s Hands
Atlanta – In the wake of Scott McKibben’s ouster as Coliseum JPA Executive Director, Larry Reid and Nate Miley, the Oakland District 7 Councilmember and Alameda County Board of Supervisors District Four members are the designated contacts regarding the business of the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Joint Powers Authority.
Reid and Miley are regarded friends, but from a pure sports business perspective having them as the points of outreach basically says that Oakland Sports are dead. These are two very busy elected officials, and not committed exclusively to the management of the business of the Oakland Coliseum Complex.
This situation, in and of itself, adds to a large and growing list of occurences that, together, sound the death bell for Oakland Sports. Let’s review:
Oakland fails to aggressively retain the Golden State Warriors as then-Oakland Mayor Jean Quan allowed herself to be out-hustled in the new arena race by the late San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee.
Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf failed to maintain the promise of land that Mayor Quan made to the Oakland Raiders. Then Schaaf failed to immediately act by filing an injunction to block any relocation action the Raiders might make the moment she got wind that the Silver and Black were working behind her back. (That date was May 19th, 2015 and during the NFL Spring League Meeting.)
Oakland fails to make a plan for the economic development future of sports. That fact, just as the U.S. Supreme Court opens the door for sports betting nationwide. The Oakland Coliseum, to this day, still lacks any plan for the future. And Scott McKibben’s forced resignation just pushed back that plan timetable even more.
Oakland fails to maintain what this blogger created in 1999 from scratch: the Oakland-Alameda County Sports Commission. An organization designed to promote the use of thes many sports event-ready venues that Oakland has.
Oakland City Attorney Barbara Parker evokes a little known law to force Scott McKibben out and for doing something in a so-called RingCentral Naming Rights Deal $50,000 kickback that he says he didn’t do. Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty? Moreover, given that Ms. Parker was in the Coliseum JPA Box to watch the 2019 NBA Finals Game 4 with Mr. McKibben, and with a large group including me, shouldn’t she have told him she had some issue with the RingCentral Naming Rights Deal before Game 4?
Oakland is in trouble. Starting this fall and continuing when the Raiders leave Oakland for Las Vegas, the name “Oakland” will not be uttered on national television, save for when the A’s play baseball, and media types talk about the past history of the Raiders and the Warriors.
Basically, what it adds up to is that the people in charge seem to be just OK with the rest of the nation thinking Oakland’s a loser city. Personally, that view makes me sick.
Avoiding that is one reason why I formed what will be Oakland’s only bid to host an NFL Super Bowl Game. And, as the Oakland Tribune said in 2000, I did it single-handedly. I hate being associated with people in Oakland who don’t want to win. I hope I’m not the only one who holds that view.
First step: get someone to replace Scott right now, and not next month.
Then, let’s all work. Larry and Nate can’t do that thing where they leave it to themselves. In fact, this whole deal is way too politicized.
Oakland News Now Note: this video-blog post demonstrates the full and live operation of the latest version of an experimental Zennie62Media mobile media video-blogging system network. This is a major part of our new approach to the production of news media. The uploaded video is from a vlogger with the Zennie62 on YouTube Partner Channel, then uploaded to and formatted automatically at the Oakland News Now site and Zennie62-owned social media pages. The overall objective is smartphone-enabled, real-time, on the scene reporting of news, interviews, observations, and happenings anywhere in the World and within seconds and not hours. The secondary objective is faster, and very inexpensive media production and distribution. We have found there is a disconnect between post length and time to product and revenue generated. With this, the problem is far less, though by no means solved. Zennie62Media is constantly working to improve the system network coding and also seek interested content and media technology partners.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Saints At Panthers – Will Jameis Winston Run Sean Payton’s Mike Martz Passing Approach? September 19, 2021
- Raiders vs Steelers Game Betting Prediction – Take Pittsburgh Give Points To Las Vegas September 19, 2021
- Oakland School For The Arts 8th Grade Promotion 2021 September 19, 2021
- Oakland School For The Arts Class 2021 Graduation September 19, 2021
- Twenty-Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time – Mass at Our Lady of Lourdes – Oakland – September 12th, 2021 September 19, 2021
- Best Nursing Schools in Oakland, California, United States September 19, 2021
- #1 Alabama vs #11 Florida: Extended Highlights | CBS Sports HQ September 19, 2021
- Nick Saban talks Alabama’s win vs. Florida | ESPN College Football September 19, 2021
- UCLA vs. Fresno State Postgame Press Conference After Upset Loss To Fresno State September 19, 2021
- Fresno State stuns No. 13 UCLA after an unforgettable fourth quarter September 19, 2021
- Ben Bartlett Berkeley City Council Member on “Democracy and Defending our Civil Rights” September 19, 2021
- Berkeley’s Homeless Crisis with Ben Bartlett Berkeley City Council Member September 19, 2021
- Supervisor Damon Connolly Marin County Expresses Support For The LGBTQ Community September 19, 2021
- Damon Connolly wishes CMCM a Happy 10th Anniversary! September 19, 2021
- Damon Connolly Marin County Supervisor On Priced Out Podcast September 19, 2021
- SoFi Stadium Tour in Los Angeles: Home of the Rams and Chargers September 19, 2021
- 1783 11th Street Oakland, CA 94607-1435 September 19, 2021
- Los Angeles Angels vs Oakland Athletics Highlights September 18, 2021 – MLB Highlights | MLB 2021 September 19, 2021
- What’s New In iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 Pro By iJustine September 19, 2021
- Breaking Vegas News – Las Vegas Raiders Ticket Prices Crash – Vaccine Rules to Blame? September 19, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Promote Running Back Trey Ragas To The Active Roster By Eric Pangilinan September 18, 2021
- Zennie62 NFL 2021 Season Game Predictions For Week 2 – Livestream Show September 18, 2021
- Neighborhood Tours in Fayetteville GA off Goza Rd September 18, 2021
- 384 Bellevue Ave Home For Sale In Adams Point, Lake Merritt, Oakland September 18, 2021
- Inspiration4 Dragon Side Hatch Open, Crew Comes Out After Splashdown September 18, 2021