Note: Oakland, California and San Francisco, California have HubZone’s as do Berkeley, Emeryville, San Leandro, Hayward, Daly City, Redwood City, and San Jose, California in the SF Bay Area.
Sioux Falls – The U.S. Small Business Administration’s Administrator Isabella Casillas Guzman today announced the expansion of HUBZone, a program that provides small businesses in low-income communities that hire low-income residents opportunities to compete in the federal marketplace. The announcement makes Illinois the first state to have the newly created Governor-Designated Covered HUBZones.
“This expansion of HUBZone areas in Illinois is a big step in bringing rural and underserved communities into a national network of small businesses with access to valuable support resources and contracting programs to better leverage the federal marketplace,” said SBA Administrator Isabella Casillas Guzman. “We look forward to partnering with more businesses in these newly designated regions and hope to see more requests from our governors to expand covered areas in their states to support economic growth.”
“Illinois is thrilled to receive approval by the SBA for our Governor-Designated Covered HUBZones, which will help more of our small, rural businesses grow and compete for lucrative federal contracts,” said Illinois Governor JB Pritzker. “This latest HUBZones designation will build on our ongoing work to ensure that Illinois communities across the board have access to programs that will help them grow revenues, increase jobs, and in turn, drive investment toward the communities where it’s most needed. We thank SBA for their ongoing partnership and encourage more Illinois small businesses to sign up for this program today.”
Illinois becomes the first state to receive approval of Governor-Designated Covered HUBZones, with the SBA extending HUBZone privileges to five additional counties. These counties include Cass, Macoupin, Schuyler, Stephenson, and Warren. The same privileges will likewise be extended to 30 additional census tracts across the state, from McHenry County in the north to Alexander County in the south. Altogether, these 35 new HUBZones comprise a total population of approximately 236,500.
Under the new HUBZone rule, a governor may submit one petition per year requesting that SBA designate certain qualifying areas, including Opportunity Zones as Governor-Designated Covered Areas. In reviewing a request for designation included in the petition, the Administrator may consider how the selections meet the objectives of the state’s economic development strategies.
The newly designated areas will be added to the HUBZone map as “Governor-Designated Covered Areas.” To be eligible for this program, communities must have a population of 50,000 or fewer, an average unemployment rate is at least 120 percent of the average unemployment rate for the U.S. or state (whichever is lowest) and be located outside of an urbanized area.
HUBZone program Map is here – click on this link.
For information about the HUBZone program, visit www.sba.gov/hubzone.
About the U.S. Small Business Administration
The U.S. Small Business Administration makes the American dream of business ownership a reality. As the only go-to resource and voice for small businesses backed by the strength of the federal government, the SBA empowers entrepreneurs and small business owners with the resources and support they need to start and grow their businesses. It delivers services to people through an extensive network of SBA field offices and partnerships with public and private organizations. To learn more, visit www.sba.gov.
Post based on press release from the Small Business Administration to Zennie62Media, Inc.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Flood aftermath in Catania October 27, 2021
- HIGHLIGHTS | Arsenal vs Leeds United (2-0) | Carabao Cup | Super sub Chambers & Nketiah October 27, 2021
- FDA Panel Recommends Pfizer Vaccine For Kids Aged 5-11 October 27, 2021
- Luka Doncic with the BLOCK on Alperen Sengun 🔥 October 27, 2021
- Convicted sex offender served his time, neighbors concerned over release October 27, 2021
- Marin teen honored for vaccination advocacy October 27, 2021
- Senate Highlights Threats To Election Workers; Emphasizes Protections In Voting Bill October 27, 2021
- Alameda County Supervisors Vote “Yes” to Proceeding With the A’s Howard Terminal Ballpark Plan October 27, 2021
- Nevada vs Fresno State THRILLING Ending | 2021 College Football October 27, 2021
- Santee plane crash fundraiser October 27, 2021
- Fans gather at The Battery Atlanta to want game 1 in the World Series October 27, 2021
- Sunday’s historic storm put the new McKinley Water Vault to the test: How well did it work? October 27, 2021
- Trump Unpopularity In Virginia A Liability For Youngkin; McCauliffe Hopes To Benefit October 27, 2021
- NUGGETS at JAZZ | FULL GAME HIGHLIGHTS | October 26, 2021 October 27, 2021
- Cowboys Report With Tom Downey (Oct. 26th) October 27, 2021
- Braves vs. Astros World Series Game 1 Highlights (10/26/21) | MLB Highlights October 27, 2021
- Jakob Poeltl BLOCKS AD’s Dunk Attempt, Drops Two Yam-Hammers on the Lakers 🔥 October 27, 2021
- Trump ‘Coup Lawyer’ Caught On Video Boasting About Quasi-Legal Memo; Trashing Pence October 27, 2021
- Super Bowl LIX (59): AZ Win=Harris Born @ Oakland A’s Draft Murray Cardinals Hired 1st Female Coach! October 27, 2021
- Braves vs Astros schedule World Series 2021 dates times TV channel odds October 27, 2021
- Braves win Game 1 of the World Series | Brian Snitker on the victory October 27, 2021
- Keeping kids safe and healthy this Halloween October 27, 2021
- Packers @ Cardinals – Thursday 10/28/21 – NFL Betting Picks & Predictions | Picks & Parlays October 27, 2021
- SNL KOREA – Bạn Gái 3 Phút – Park Cho-rong (Apink)|Vietsub| October 27, 2021
- Atlanta Braves vs Houston Astros Highlights Part12 | World Series – Game 1 | MLB 2021 October 27, 2021
- Inside the NBA Guys Play the Balloon Game – October 26, 2021 October 27, 2021
- Supervisors consider A’s waterfront ballpark resolution October 27, 2021
- Howard Terminal Update Alameda County Votes 4-1 To Enter Initial Tax Revenue Sharing Agreement October 27, 2021
- Danville officer convicted in fatal shooting of mentally ill man October 27, 2021
- Atlanta Braves vs Houston Astros Full Highlights – World Series Game 1 – 10/26/2021 October 27, 2021
- Inside the NBA Reacts to Shaqtin’ A Fool Moments of First Week of 2021-22 NBA Regular Season October 27, 2021
- Inside the NBA Reacts to Lakers vs Spurs Highlights – October 26, 2021 October 27, 2021
- Landlord accused of threats, harassment and illegal eviction October 27, 2021
- Theranos Trial: Investment manager testifies about giving failed startup $100M October 27, 2021
- Parents, teachers rally against Hayward school closure plan October 27, 2021
- 1/6 Committee Awaits Decision From DOJ On Whether Or Not To Prosecute Bannon October 27, 2021
- Web Summit Selected As Digital Platform Provider For CES 2022 October 27, 2021
- Atlanta Braves vs Houston Astros Full Highlights | World Series – Game 1 | MLB 2021 October 27, 2021
- 2021 World Series Game 1 | Braves vs Astros LIVE Reaction | Charlie Morton Broken Leg October 27, 2021
- Top Story with Tom Llamas – October 26 | NBC News NOW October 27, 2021