The Save Journalism Project sent this press release to Zennie62Media.
WASHINGTON – Just one week after Buzzfeed’s Rosie Gray announced the Save Journalism Project, helmed by laid off reporters John Stanton and Laura Bassett, the consensus is clear: big tech’s control and demolition of the journalism industry must be stopped. Read Stanton and Bassett’s written testimony, as submitted to the House Judiciary, online here.
As the duo note, “The reason advertising revenue has fallen so steeply is that Google and Facebook dominate the digital ad market, consuming more than 60 percent of all revenue. This has had a crippling effect on the journalism industry. Newspapers slashed 32,000 jobs in the decade between 2008 and 2017, a loss of 45 percent. A robust and well-funded news media is vital to a healthy democracy. The public should be aware of Big Tech’s death grip on publishers and the power they have over the online marketplace. Congress should be discussing legislative solutions to regulate or break up the tech giants and restore fairness to the digital ad market.”
Below, we excerpt recent bipartisan expert testimony on the pressing issue:
Chairman Cicilline (RI-01), during yesterday’s House Judiciary hearing: “The free and diverse press is the backbone of our vibrant democracy… But over the past decade, the news industry has been in a state of economic free fall. These massive cuts are happening to traditional news companies and online news sources alike…These trends strongly suggest that the decline of the news industry is… a direct consequence of enforcement choices that have created a market structure where a small number of platforms are capturing the value created by journalists and publishers.”
Ranking Member Doug Collins (GA-09), during yesterday’s House Judiciary hearing: “In the old days, press organizations were able to thrive based on their subscription and advertising revenues. But as the news consumption has moved to the internet, traditional subscriptions are speedingly drying up and online advertising revenues are increasingly being dominated by online platforms. As a result, news organizations across the country are rapidly losing their economic lifeboat and disappearing from the public square.”
Houston Chronicle’s Olivia Tallet: “#Journalism in America is facing an existential threat from the monopolistic control of tech giants like #Google, #Facebook, and #Apple http://bit.ly/2WCGEY3 Care to joint the #Save Journalism Project? #SaveJournalism”
Fox News’ James Rogers: “Big Tech is destroying America’s press industry, warn lawmakers and journalists”: “Critics argue that Big Tech has clinched a monopolistic position that lets it dominate the digital advertising marketplace. This means that the tech giants distribute a vast amount of content from news publishers on their platforms without paying to produce the content, according to the Save Journalism Project, which aims to protect the industry from Big Tech.”
Laura Bassett during a Cheddar interview: “The first step is to start regulating and break them up. The problem is companies like Facebook and Google swallow up 60% of digital ad revenue. So, it doesn’t leave much of the pie for the actual content creators and for news publishers, which is why I got laid off in January. It’s why local newspapers are going under…We need to find a way to require these tech companies to share the profits with the people who are actually creating the content.”
Hamilton Nolan of Splinter News: “‘Why is my local paper so thin now?’ ‘Why aren’t there any statehouse reporters now?’ ‘Why don’t they do more investigative reporting?’ ‘Why did all my colleagues get laid off?’ Well you see, https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/09/business/media/google-news-industry-antitrust.html”
Journalism in America is facing an existential threat from the monopolistic control of tech giants like Google, Facebook, and Apple. Big tech’s dominance over the digital advertising market and their unrivaled capacity to monetize its platforms are having drastic effects on journalism as a whole. https://savejournalism.org/
Follow the Save Journalism Project on Twitter.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Mock Draft Live Two Weeks Away From The 2021 NFL Draft
- 1974 Oakland Raiders Season
- Oakland Athletics Post-Game From Phoenix By Richard Haick
- Oakland Public Library: Hora De Cuentos: 5 En La Cama
- Oakland Athletics at Arizona Diamondbacks at Chase Field in Phoenix by Richard Haick
- US Calls For Pause On Johnson & Johnson Vaccine | TODAY
- Paul Flores, Rubin Flores: Kristin Smart Case Suspects Arrested, Sheriffs To Announce Updates
- Bishop O’Dowd at San Leandro Football 4.1.21 | Jesse Madden vs Demetrius Freeney
- Justin Fields Is Smartest QB In 2021 NFL Draft With Insane Aptitude Test Score
- Oakland Jobs: Waste Management Hiring Oakland California Residents At WM.com
- City Of Oakland Launches New Poet Laureate Program
- Oakland Fire Department Announced Oakland City Council Approved Return Of Full Service April 13th
- Exploring The Bay Area: Lake Chabot Park, Oakland, California Vlog
- Turf Toy On YouTube Brings 3-Wheel Slingshot SL To Oakland California
- Gina Champion-Cain San Diego Businesswoman Gets 15 Years In Prison For $400 Million Ponzi Scheme
- Grand Lake Theater Oakland Staff Fundraiser Short Of $35K Goal At $30,283 As Of April 13 2021
- 2/24/21 OUSD School Board Meeting – Resolution for Reparations for Black Students
- Oakland Police Chief LeRonne L. Armstrong Press Conference On Weekend Violence 4/12/ 21
- Oakland City Council Unanimously Votes To Use $10 Million To Restore Vital Community Services
- Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ Sauce Good On Greens, Fish, Shrimp, And Pasta. Mark Zuckerberg, Thanks!