San Carlos, CA – SamTrans Chair of the Board of Directors Charles Stone issued this statement after several Joint Powers Board partner agencies abruptly halted a government review process Friday that had been agreed upon by the full Caltrain Board:
“SamTrans is deeply disappointed that its partner agencies have abruptly halted the $2 million plus governance review process in their refusal to participate in the long-planned workshop #3. This process was agreed to by the Caltrain Board. This refusal to hear information from staff and consultants today comes as great shock.
“The orchestrated abandonment of today’s meeting to address governance issues is puzzling for several reasons:
“First, the renewed effort by SamTrans to inquire about efforts to ensure reimbursement of a decades-old debt cannot be a surprise to our partner agencies that have all acknowledged such reimbursement is owed.
“Second, Santa Clara and San Francisco have long insisted that the investment reimbursement obligation has no bearing on the review of the governance structure. And although the San Mateo County members of the JPB were accused of withdrawing from the governance review, all three of its JPB members were present and prepared to engage in today’s discussion.
“Third, it would seem that our partners are staging an oversized drama here. SamTrans sent no demand for immediate payment or any itemization of debt. Rather, all it has done, as a good partner seeking transparency, is write letters asking what efforts have been and are being made, as long promised, to reimburse SamTrans for its substantial investments over 30 years.
“Our partners’ refusal to participate in today’s meeting is simply a stark example of why, on behalf of San Mateo County taxpayers, SamTrans has had to demand their attention to the historical failures and seek collections of long past due obligations. The same can be said for the failure of CCSF and VTA to fund the necessary system maintenance costs in this year’s budget. In the FY 21-22 Capital Budget, CCSF and VTA contributions to the Capital Budget were $0. San Mateo County said that we were willing to make our $5 million contribution if the other member agencies made theirs.
San Mateo County and SamTrans have lived up to their agreements. We hope that our partners will re-examine their commitment to the JPB and be prepared to advance the current business of the agency concurrently with fulfilling their promise to satisfy outstanding debts.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Rebecca Kaplan 9/21 Oakland City Council Meeting: Important Community Grants Updates & Supporting Right to Reproductive Freedom September 21, 2021
- Mayor Schaaf Issues Oakland City Council Action Alert On Police Academies For Sept 21 Meeting September 21, 2021
- Tony Buzbee Deshawn Watson Lawsuits: Massage Therapists Violated COVID-19 Rules, Lawsuits Cesspools Of Misinformation September 21, 2021
- Ford Ltd’s Takeover in Oakland California EP132 September 21, 2021
- Oakland Boogaloo Reunion… THE TRUTH? September 21, 2021
- The Uptown | Oakland’s New Place to Be. | Oakland, CA September 21, 2021
- 3033 Seminary Avenue Oakland, CA | ColdwellBankerHomes.com September 21, 2021
- Corsarios Musical En La Pulga De Oakland Septiembre 19 2021 Evento Completo September 21, 2021
- Corsarios Musical En La Pulga De Oakland Septiembre 19 2021 Parte Tres September 21, 2021
- Corsarios Musical En La Pulga De Oakland Septiembre 19 2021 Parte Cinco September 21, 2021
- Latest update: More than 4K customers without power in Oakland September 21, 2021
- Oakland Records 100th Homicide of 2021 September 21, 2021
- Megan Fox ‘Grateful’ For Ex Brian Austin Green’s Girlfriend Sharna September 21, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders: Multiple Teams Reached Out To Sherman Maybe The Raiders ? By Joseph Armendariz September 21, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Defense Ranked In The NFL Top Ten Credit To Gus Bradley By Eric Pangilinan September 21, 2021
- Iman Shumpert’s Jive – Dancing with the Stars September 21, 2021
- Kenya Moore’s Foxtrot – Dancing with the Stars September 21, 2021
- Boxing Manny Pacquaio Has Not Officially Retired From Boxing By Eric Pangilinan September 21, 2021
- Martin Kove’s Paso Doble – Dancing with the Stars September 21, 2021
- Brian Austin Green’s Foxtrot – Dancing with the Stars September 21, 2021
- Suni Lee’s Jive – Dancing with the Stars September 21, 2021
- JoJo Siwa’s Quickstep – Dancing with the Stars September 20, 2021
- The Bachelor’s Matt James’s Cha Cha – Dancing With The Stars September 20, 2021
- Opening Number Season 2021 – Dancing with the Stars September 20, 2021
- Gabby Petito Dead, Brian Laundrie Missing – How The New 911 Calls Fit Into The Timeline September 20, 2021