Topic: Public Banks California. California movement against Wall Street control over public finance builds momentum as this press release sent to Zennie62Media reports.
SAN FRANCISCO – Today city councils in San Francisco, Oakland, Berkeley and Los Angeles joined with San Jose, Eureka, Santa Cruz County and other cities throughout California by passing resolutions in support of AB 857, California’s landmark legislation enabling communities to establish public banks.
The legislation, coauthored by Assembly members David Chiu (San Francisco) and Miguel Santiago (Los Angeles), allows municipalities to redirect public funds from megabanks that invest in fossil fuels, private prisons, and gun manufacturers toward publicly-owned banks that would invest in local socially responsible initiatives including clean energy, affordable housing, and infrastructure projects.
“Cities across California are ready to disentangle from Wall Street’s control of banking public dollars,” said Sushil Jacob, senior economic justice attorney with the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights of the San Francisco Bay Area, a founding member of the California Public Banking Alliance. “Wall Street banks have proven an unreliable custodian of our public dollars, from investments that are antithetical to our values, to high fees for banking our communities. These resolutions show that powerful local governments across the state support public dollars for public good in public banks.”
Under the legislation, public banks will be required to partner with local credit unions and community banks to provide low-interest loans to local small businesses and nonprofits.
“The move away from large corporate banks towards a public banking model provides incredible opportunity for local governments and their residents,” said San Francisco Supervisor Sandra Lee Fewer, who chairs the Board’s Budget and Finance Committee. “We should maximize our tax dollars by investing in priorities that reflect our values, like affordable housing and neighborhood-based small businesses. Public banking is an idea whose time has come.”
The bill is backed by the California Public Banking Alliance (CPBA), a statewide advocacy organization of financial experts, community organizers and concerned citizens.
“From Oakland to San Francisco, the Bay Area is sending a unified message to Sacramento that we support the Public Banking Act, Assembly Bill 857,” said Oakland City Council President Rebecca Kaplan. “This bill brings us one step closer to making this a reality, and creating a banking institution that is centered around the public good and reinvestment into our most vulnerable communities.”
The cities of Richmond, San Diego and Santa Rosa are expected to pass similar resolutions this month.
Oakland News Now Related Posts
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Oakland Councilmember Sheng Thao And Oakland Mutual Aid Collective Will Distribute PPE Kits To Students May 11th
- Ca Governor Gavin Newsom’s $100 Billion Rental Assistance Plan Debut With Oakland Mayor Schaff
- Governor Newsom Unveils his Economic Recovery Package
- Tim Sullivan Of Louisville Courier Journal Ambush Marketing In-And-Out Burger On CNN?
- Rotary Club Of Oakland Features Gary Meyer On The Oscars May 06 2021
- Resurrection Oakland Church | May 9, 2021. 10am
- Sharing The Beauty Of Lake Merritt, Oakland, California – Mothers Day 2021
- Mothers Day Drum Circle – Lake Merritt, Oakland, California, 2021
- Bike Oakland & Alameda: Alameda, Bay Farm, and 66th Ave
- Port of Oakland Trade Boom: Wan Hai Lines Connects U.S. And Asia In 2021
- Oakland City Budget Forgets Cybersecurity As USA’s Largest Pipeline Gets Ransomwared
- Oakland City Council President Nikki Fortunato Bas On Mayor Schaaf’s Budget
- Oakland Adams Point Apartment Target Of Would Be Robber Caught-On-Camera Mother’s Day Evening
- Elon Musk Wario – Wario Is Elon Musk On SNL And Vinny Lospinuso Shares His Vlog Thoughts
- Star Trek’s Lt. Uhura Nichelle Nichols On Meeting President Obama
- Happy Mother’s Day, Today, Everyone! Enjoy Your Mom!
- Grand Lake Theater Marquee In Oakland Says Wait Almost Over, Reopens Late May 2021
- Fata Fut News: Today Top Trending News | 11 AM | 9 May 2021 – TV9
- New Trending Instagram Reels Videos | All Famous TikTok Star | Today Viral Insta Reels | Insta Reels
- Mount Zion Oakland Mother’s Day Church Service 2021