Salesforce Transit Center will re-open July 1st says the Transbay Joint Powers Authority in this release.
San Francisco, CA – Salesforce Transit Center will re-open July 1st, as experts declare it safe to use.
The Transbay Joint Powers Authority (TJPA) announced that the Salesforce Transit Center and public rooftop park will reopen on July 1, 2019 at 6 a.m. Muni and Golden Gate Transit will provide bus service from the street level bus plaza in early July.
AC Transit’s 26 Transbay bus lines, Greyhound and Westcat Lynx anticipate service from the bus deck to resume in late summer 2019 following operator training and rider notice.
Salesforce Park, the Grand Hall, Food Trucks and public art installations will be open and available on July 1st.
The Salesforce Transit Center was temporarily closed last September as a precaution after fissures were found in two beams on the third level Bus Deck at Fremont Street.
Since then, the TJPA has determined the cause of the fissures, repaired and reinforced the area, conducted an exhaustive review of the facility, completed a facility-wide fire and life safety reinspection program with city and state oversight, and recommissioned the entire facility.
In October 2018, San Francisco Mayor London Breed and Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf also asked the Metropolitan Transportation Commission (MTC) to provideindependent oversight and a review of the repairs, reinforcement and the structural steel at the transit center.
After this eight month independent peer review, the MTC’s panel concluded that the issue was localized to the Fremont Street locationand the transit center may now reopen to the public.
“We are pleased to welcome the public back to the transit center and sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this temporary closure has caused,” said Mohammed Nuru, Chair of the Board of Directors, Transbay Joint Powers Authority. “I thank Mayor Breed and Mayor Schaaf for calling for the Metropolitan Transportation Commission’s independent review, which has now concluded. They provided thorough, proper and independent oversight. We can now reopen this critical piece of our transportation network and important source of open space to commuters, the neighborhood and the entire region.”
Salesforce Transit Center Replaces Transbay Terminal San Francisco
The transit center replaced the seismically deficient Transbay Terminal with a modern, regional transportation hub connecting transit systems throughout the Bay Area.
Salesforce Transit Center includes a 5.4-acre rooftop public park with free year-round events and activities, a public art program and shopping and dining. At more than one million square feet, the center stretches four blocks with four stories above ground and two stories below. About the Review The MTC empaneled five nationally-recognized experts in steel structures, fracture mechanics and metallurgy.
They reviewed and approved TJPA’s sampling and testing plan; identification of the root cause of the failure; the temporary shoring design, and the steel girder repair and reinforcement. In addition, they affirmed the designer’s findings that no other areas were susceptible to brittle fracture (found and repaired at the Fremont Street location).
The panel oversaw the designer’s efforts and independently affirmed the designer’s conclusion that the transit center can now reopen to the public. “We are getting the transit center ready to welcome commuters and the public back to the transit center,” said Mark Zabaneh, Executive Director of the Transbay Joint Powers Authority. “We have undergone an exhaustive and independent review and we are fully confident in the transit center.”
About Salesforce Transit Center: The Maria Ayerdi-Kaplan-developed Salesforce Transit Center is a 21st century, world-class transit center serving transportation systems throughout the San Francisco Bay Area. Bounded by Mission, Howard, Beale and Second streets, the center is owned and operated by the Transbay Joint Powers Authority. Funded by U.S. Department of Transportation, State of California, Metropolitan Transportation Commission, San Francisco County Transportation Authority, City and County of San Francisco, San Mateo County Transportation Authority and AC Transit.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Skateboarders Making Pilgrimage to San Francisco’s Pier 7, Following Vandalism October 20, 2021
- NEW NBA odds released, plus MLB playoffs and NFL WEEK 6 Recap October 20, 2021
- 30 Years Later: East Bay Remembers Oakland Hills Fire October 20, 2021
- San Francisco In N Out temporarily closed over city’s proof of COVID 19 October 20, 2021
- Public Enemy – 30th Anniversary Oaktown’s On Fire! – Kaiser Conv. Center – Oakland, CA – 10/20/1991 October 20, 2021
- Anthrax – 30th Anniversary Oaktown’s On Fire! – Kaiser Convention Center – Oakland, CA – 10/20/1991 October 20, 2021
- Primus – 30th Anniversary Oaktown’s On Fire! – Kaiser Convention Center – Oakland, CA – 10/20/1991 October 20, 2021
- Lakers Postgame: Anthony Davis (10/19/21) October 20, 2021
- Mark Zuckerberg’s Post On Facebook’s Impact On America Forgets U.S. Diversity Makes It Ripe Target For Hate Content October 20, 2021
- Lakers Postgame: LeBron James (10/19/21) October 20, 2021
- Lakers Postgame: Frank Vogel (10/19/21) October 20, 2021
- Oakland PD Hates On Doja October 20, 2021
- Astros vs Red Sox Game 4 Highlights | MLB 2021 October 20, 2021
- HIGHLIGHTS | Los Angeles Lakers vs Golden State Warriors October 20, 2021
- HIGHLIGHTS | LeBron James (34 pts, 5 ast, 11 reb) vs Golden State Warriors October 20, 2021
- HIGHLIGHTS | Anthony Davis (33 pts, 11 reb) vs Golden State Warriors October 20, 2021
- Stephen Curry Tallies a Triple-Double in Season Opener! | Oct. 19, 2021 October 20, 2021
- Oakland City Council Unanimously Approves Vice Mayor Rebecca Kaplan’s Proposal To Support Litigation Against Ghost Guns October 20, 2021
- Henry Ruggs III Mic’d Up vs. Broncos: ‘All Bama on the Board!’ | Week 6 | Las Vegas Raiders | NFL October 20, 2021
- Boxing Sandor Martin Stuns Boxing World By Defeating Former Champ Mikey Garcia By Eric Pangilinan October 19, 2021
- Meet Jon Bean, Oakland Rising’s Deputy Director Taks With Liz Suk, Executive Director October 19, 2021
- Philadelphia Eagles vs Las Vegas Raiders | Week 7 NFL Game Preview October 19, 2021
- Oakland hills firestorm marks 30th anniversary October 19, 2021
- 30 years later: Remembering the Oakland Hills Fire October 19, 2021
- Los Bukis ULTIMO CONCIERTO 2021 Oakland CA I Mi Mayor Necesidad October 19, 2021
- In-N-Out Burger in Battle With San Francisco Health Officials Over COVID Rules October 19, 2021
- Braves vs Dodgers Game 3 Highlights | MLB 2021 October 19, 2021
- TITANS y BILLS se baten en un ASOMBROSO duelo de MONDAY NIGH | Semana 6 2021 NFL Game Highlights October 19, 2021
- LIVE SPORTS TALK! Monday Night Football Bills Titans Recap, MLB Playoffs, Next LSU Head Coach? October 19, 2021
- San Francisco Leaders Offer Cash Rewards in Hopes of Reducing Car Break-Ins October 19, 2021