SalesForce Transit Center, developed by Maria Ayerdi Kaplan, San Francisco’s a social media gem!
SalesForce Transit Center’s first regular commute day was Monday, August 13th, and Oakland News Now checked in on the social media perspective of the major event in San Francisco Bay Area history. The giant facility, originally planned by its developer Maria Ayerdi Kaplan when then-San Francisco Mayor Willie Brown hired her to run the Transbay Transit Center Joint Powers Authority as its Executive Director, in 1999, has opened to rave reviews, and altered how the East Bay gets to San Francisco – back to the way it was.
A Great photo of @TransitCenterSF and the new Salesforce Park by @sanfranmag! Amazing new public park in the heart of San Francisco. San Francisco’s answer to New York City @highlinenyc? pic.twitter.com/7d6yKh3ASd
— Marc Benioff (@Benioff) August 15, 2018
(Marc Benioff is wrong: its better than the Highline NYC.)
But here is something you should know…
What Maria Ayerdi-Kaplan Did That Created Salesforce Transit Center
If you’re wondering what Maria Ayerdi-Kaplan did in her role as Transbay Transit Center Joint Powers Authority Executive Director, she formed the entire Transbay Transit Center Program that gave rise to the mixed-use development transit-oriented plan in the South of Market area. Today it has thousands of new residential units and millions of square feet of commercial space, read on. Because it’s important the story, her story, not be swept under the rug, now that SalesForce Transit Center is open.
Maria Ayerdi-Kaplan’s job was to develop the plan for what is now called SalesForce Transit Center and moving the Transbay Transit Center Program and its associated development through regulatory approvals at the federal, state, regional and local levels of government. Maria Ayerdi Kaplan secured billions in funding for the Transbay Transit Center Program’s completion from public and private sources and developing enterprise revenue streams. Additionally, Ms. Ayerdi Kaplan formed the stakeholder process that generated vast support for the Transbay Transit Center Program.
For her efforts, Maria Ayerdi-Kaplan celebrated by the Golden Gate Business Association for her vision, leadership and commitment to the LGBT business community, in 2014. She was also given the Influential Woman in Business award by Women Construction Owners and Executives in 2015. As you walk through SalesForce Transit Center, remember that it was Maria Ayerdi-Kaplan who was responsible for it.
ED Maria Ayerdi-Kaplan was honored with the Influential Woman in Business award by Caryn Boisen, President of WCOE. pic.twitter.com/T83PWFFFpx
— TJPA (@TransbayProject) October 5, 2015
And the Cesar Pelli design that’s captured the imagination of the World emerged from this competition in 2007 that Maria Ayerdi-Kaplan established (from Zennie62 on YouTube):
Now, back to the social media look at SalesForce Transit Center, mid week.
SalesForce Transit Center Is Considered One Of The World’s Iconic Urban Spaces
Yes, it’s really a giant bus stop (as San Francisco Supervisor Aaron Peskin once called it), but that tells only part of the story: the social media entries all point to SalesForce Transit Center as one of the World’s iconic urban spaces.
What bothers this Berkeley-trained urban planner with an Oakland-centric view is that SalesForce Transit Center represents one more example of how San Francisco proves it has the will and the initiative to complete big public projects, whereas Oakland still has not done that in a very long time.
But I digress. Here’s what others say…
#Dreamforce attendees this year will have a new landmark to visit in #SFO – #SalesforceTransitCenter – new elevated park & transit center for several bus routes – #Salesforce paid $ 110m for name. The 5.4-acre rooftop Park will be a major attraction. https://t.co/F3oN4EJaPk pic.twitter.com/k0fv2x5N7K
— DhruvSoft (@Dhruvsoft) August 15, 2018
san francisco's new $2.2B transbay transit center and rooftop park is finally open, who else is excited to take the bus in the morning? #SanFrancisco #transbay #SalesforceTransitCenter pic.twitter.com/ys2BsPhaCh
— Engel Ching (@heyengel) August 15, 2018
— Pelli Clarke Pelli (@PCPArch) August 15, 2018
— BuildStudios (@buildstudios) August 15, 2018
— 🇺🇸Douglas 🇬🇧 (@rukiddingme3590) August 15, 2018
— Cariann Quick (@crquick) August 15, 2018
— jasonpurdy (@jasonpurdy) August 16, 2018
— Liz Payne (@Lizpayne) August 16, 2018
But then, there’s this problem of Salesforce Transit Center customer service that comes up….
#SalesforceTransitCenter needs to get it together. I just missed a @GreyhoundBus because I literally could not find it. No signs. No directions. Nobody to answer questions. Supremely disappointed! Don’t open if you’re not ready to open.
— Gillian B. (@Gillysays) August 15, 2018
Abundant, high resolution, electronic screens at the #SalesforceTransitCenter provide a trove of useful and extraneous information, but they scroll randomly every 5-12 seconds, making them useless, but easily fixable pic.twitter.com/Wf4AsLEyFN
— Jeffrey Tumlin (@jeffreytumlin) August 15, 2018
I can bitch up a storm about SF but this new mega park in the sky above the new Transit Center is one of the most exciting new public spaces in the country. Came here just to read a text book. Live music about to start. I'm totally smitten. #SanFrancisco #SalesforceTransitCenter pic.twitter.com/1qcB7VSie2
— NewestIndustryWorkshop (@DeanVolker) August 15, 2018
— Jeffrey Tumlin (@jeffreytumlin) August 15, 2018
Oakland News Now will have more on this new ‘Wonder of The World’ that re-connects San Francisco to the East Bay for a new generation of transit riders.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- 2021 NFL Mock Draft V3 Livestream By Zennie62Media For April 18th
- Katy Perry Backs That Ass Up To Shocked Luke Bryan On American Idol
- The Clifton Street Regulars Jazz Band Playing Today, Sunday, Oakland Rockridge
- Oakland Councilmember Nikki Fortunato Bas’ Heartfelt Newsletter To The Black Community
- Cryptocurrency Market Crash Based On Questionable U.S. Treasury Crackdown Rumor
- Redefine Quartet from McAlester, OK live at Oakland Full Gospel Holiness Church in Oakland, OK
- Upcoming Events at Allen Temple Baptist Church Oakland for the week of 4/18/21
- Shooting at the Gallery Art Bar in Oakland, Ca
- Oakland Police Possibly To Arrest Me For Protest – By Derrick Soo
- Oakland News Now at OaklandNewsNow.com Is The Most Advanced Active News Blog Website Ever In Oakland
- 2021 NFL Mock Draft V2 Livestream By Zennie62Media For April 17th
- Former Oakland Mayor Elihu Harris On ESPN 30-For-30 Raiders Al Davis vs. NFL – The Aftermath
- Elihu Harris Former Oakland Mayor On ESPN 30-For-30, “Al Davis Versus The NFL”
- Walk Down MacArthur Blvd To Grand Av In Oakland Adams Point Made Into Instagram Art
- Oakland Marriott City Center Has Striking Mural Of Young Black Girl At Play That’s Amazing
- Detroit Tigers vs Oakland Athletics Highlights April 16, 2021 – MLB Highlights | MLB Season 2021
- Peaceful Demonstration Over Deadly Police Shootings Turns Violent in Oakland
- Demonstration in Oakland to Protest Police Shootings Turns Violent
- Kevin Samuels And Kevin Durant Use White-Owned Social Media To Say Bad Things About Black Folks
- Oakland NAACP Response to District Curriculum Adoption Recommendation.