The late Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has an interesting connection to Oakland, California: she married an Oakland couple who also are regulars (and friends of mine) at The Alley Cat Bar at 3325 Grand Avenue. This is what Jane posted on Facebook, reprinted here at Oakland News Now with her permission:
In 2001, after 11 years of living in sin, Albert and I decided to get married. My mom asked if she should contact RBG to see if she would officiate our ceremony. Ruth and her husband Marty had gone to college with my parents. My response was, “That’s ridiculous. Don’t ask. Surely she has more important ways to spend her time. “ Albert’s response was, “Hell, yes!” He was (and still is) smarter than me. I’m not sure why Ruth agreed to do it, but she did.
I didn’t meet Ruth until the wedding, but I knew that my parents had named me Jane after Ruth and Marty’s daughter, Jane Ginsberg. Not that they were especially close, but Jane Greenberg had that same ring, and it sounded good to them. I take great pride in being a Ginsberg namesake. Ruth was awesome at the wedding. She gracefully posed for photos with our whacky friends. There were no complaints when her secret service men got smeared with face glitter. She was the most understated superstar.
There have been so many tough days in our recent past, but this is an especially hard blow. Thank you RBG for your quiet and fierce determination to fight the good fight. Rest In Power. Rest In Peace
Related Posts (YARPP)
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Adam Schefter Told Dan Patrick His Aaron Rogers Story Draft Day Story Was Made Up, Not From The QB
- 415 20th Street Thomas Berkeley Building Should Be Live / Work To Add Housing In Oakland
- Carroll Fife, District 3 Oakland Councilmember, Talks Housing And Homeless Problems With Experts
- Mandela Station At West Oakland BART Shows New City In City
- Self-Service Buffets Return To Las Vegas Strip
- Dogecoin Cools After Week Of Dramatic Growth Ahead Of Elon Musk On SNL
- Oakland Police Department On Unsolved Homicide Of Henry Texada
- Oakland Police Captain Jones With Ceasefire, Captain Holmgren Talk Violent Crime
- Mass Vaccination Site at Oakland Coliseum Closing
- Leigh Steinberg Talks NFL Post 2021 Draft – Will COVID-19 Be The Same Problem As 2020?
- Carroll Fife Oakland District 3 Councilmember On Housing, Homelessness, and Reform
- This Bullying Oakland Mayor Schaaf Has Gone Too Far – Terrorizing Libby As Evil As Police Brutality
- SpaceX’s Starship SN15 Makes First Landing Without Exploding
- John Jones Has A Major Surprise For Oakland California Friends, Politicians
- Oakland Planning Commission Approved Giant 415 20th Skyscraper Ignores Homeless – Thomas Berkeley?
- Oakland Planning Commission Meets Livestream On 415 20th, The Tallest Building In Oakland, If Built
- Oakland And San Francisco Hire California Movers USA For Your Next Relocation
- 415 20th Street Will Be Oakland’s Tallest Building, Draw 3,800 Employees – Planning Commission Says It Has No Impact
- Oakland Lacrosse Club, Oakland Athletic League, OUSD Partner For Girls Lacrosse League
- Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow: The Futurism Of Walt Disney