The Pandemic, and the close-but-don’t-compensate business policy that’s a response to it, and has wrecked California’s Economy, has hurt many popular restaurants and bars like The Alley Cat Bar and now Rio California at 1233 Preservation Park Way, Oakland.
I mention Rio California because it was and remains one of the favorite places for City of Oakland workers to grab a bit of brazilian cuisine during lunch time. It was also the haunt of my old business attorney William Taylor. As I recall, David Glover, the late Oakland Citizen’s Committee for Urban Renewal (OCCUR) honcho, and I ate there once. Even Jerry Brown was known to eat there when he was Mayor of Oakland. Indeed, many Oaklanders have been to Rio California at least once, and for good reason.
Rio California was one of the pioneer restaurants to give the then-new Oakland City Center Complex a chance. The 12-block project of the Oakland Redevelopment Agency, and the lynchpin dream of Oakland revitalization spearheaded by the late Oakland Redevelopment Agency Director John Williams, took a while to fill-up with places to eat because, prior to Oakland City Center, there was really no there, there. Steve Wuebens’ Gertrude Stein, and two other eateries, joined Rio California as the first restaurants in Oakland City Center in the late 1990s. Of all of the pioneer restaurants that helped Downtown Oakland become the place to be, only Rio California and Le Chaval over in Old Oakland remains.
Now, it needs our help to save it. Go here at http://www.riocalifornia.com/, and order a meal for take out or delivery via Door Dash.
Related Posts (YARPP)
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Looks Like Oakland Lake Merritt Racists From Nextdoor Have Migrated To Facebook
- Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf Proposes $3.85 Billion “Just Recovery Budget”
- VP Kamala Harris Meets With Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador – Remarks
- VAX LIVE Concert To Reunite America And Encourage Vaccine Equity Stars Harry And Meghan
- West Oakland Home For Rent At 846 Isabella St Oakland
- Oakland Police Chief Armstrong Speaks At Oakland Rotary Club Thursday Meeting May 6, 2021
- Tian Jin Dumplings, Shandong, And Gum Kuo Restaurants: 3 Food Spots In Oakland Chinatown
- Jake Paul, Logan Paul’s Actions To Floyd Mayweather Were Racist – Paul’s Record Isn’t Clean
- Walking Through Downtown San Francisco One Year Later Into The Pandemic 2021
- Keisha Lance Bottoms Not Seeking Re-Election As Atlanta Mayor
- FLOYD MAYWEATHER BRAWL ERUPTS WITH JAKE PAUL; ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE AS TEAMS COME TO BLOWS
- Adam Schefter Told Dan Patrick His Aaron Rogers Story Draft Day Story Was Made Up, Not From The QB
- 415 20th Street Thomas Berkley Building Should Be Live / Work To Add Housing In Oakland
- Carroll Fife, District 3 Oakland Councilmember, Talks Housing And Homeless Problems With Experts
- Mandela Station At West Oakland BART Shows New City In City
- Self-Service Buffets Return To Las Vegas Strip
- Dogecoin Cools After Week Of Dramatic Growth Ahead Of Elon Musk On SNL
- Oakland Police Department On Unsolved Homicide Of Henry Texada
- Oakland Police Captain Jones With Ceasefire, Captain Holmgren Talk Violent Crime
- Mass Vaccination Site at Oakland Coliseum Closing