via Oakland News Now Rick DaSilva is the President of the Oakland Chinatown Chamber Of Commerce and Partner in Loh Realty and Investments. He’s also someone I’ve know since 1997, when Zennie Abraham worked as Oakland Mayor Elihu Harris Economic Advisor. Zennie says he literally ran into Rick at the July 24th Oakland City Council Meeting where the Downtown / Uptown Business Improvement District was approved for another 10 years of life.
If you’re wondering what the Business Improvement District , or what a Business Improvement District is and does, it takes advantage of what’s called Mello – Roos Financing as passed by a legislation called Mello-Roos, or the 1982 The Mello-Roos Community Facilities District Act. The The Mello-Roos Community Facilities District Act happens when 2/3rds of the property owners in a drawn special boundary of any shape or size vote to tax themselves. The purpose of the The Mello-Roos Community Facilities District Act use in the Downtown Oakland case happened as an outgrowth of concerns about vandalism and security in the Downtown Oakland area in 1999.
Oakland has several BIDs: Downtown Oakland Association, Fruitvale Business Improvement District , Jack London Improvement District, Koreatown/Northgate BID, Laurel District Association, Lakeshore Avenue Business Improvement District, Montclair Village Association, Rockridge District Association, Temescal/Telegraph, and Lake Merritt/Uptown Association.
As Rick DaSilva explains in the video, the Oakland Chinatown Chamber Of Commerce is a kinds of watch-dog organization over the Downtown Oakland BIDs. He has concerns over how Oakland development has encroached on Chintatown, and that, combined with the high-minimum wage ordinance has combined to hurt the small independent businesses that give Oakland Chinatown its character, and leave it to be changed by giant chain retailer and restaurant operators.
Oakland News Now Note: this post demonstrates the full and live operation of the latest version of an experimental mobile media video-blogging system network that’s part of Zennie62Media. The uploaded video is from a vlogger with the Zennie62 onYouTube channel, then uploaded to and formatted automatically at the Oakland News Now site. The objective is real-time on the scene reporting of news, interviews, observations, and happenings anywhere in the World and within seconds and not hours. Zennie62Media is constantly working to improve the system network and also seek interested content and media technology partners.
Related Posts (YARPP)
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Vivid-Pix Asks What Happened To Great-Uncle George In Online Mystery Game
- Velodyne Lidar Introduces Next-Generation Velabit Sensor
- Dave Kaval Oakland A’s President Shows Us Globe Life Field In Arlington, Texas
- Oakland Council President Bas To Hold Old-Media-Only Meetup On Budget Vote In Downtown Oakland
- 25th Street Art Gallery Oakland Saturday Stroll
- Oakland A’s Sergio Romo Drops Pants During Umpire Inspection For Foreign Substances
- City Auditor Pt1 Courtney Ruby, Oakland City Auditor, All About Community, June 8, 2021
- Boxing Keith Thurman Says Pacquiao Fist Feel Like a Rock Spence Better Listen – By Eric Pangilinan
- Atlanta Hawks Upset Milwaukee Bucks 116-113 To Win NBA East Finals Game 1
- Sonic The Hedgehog Celebrates It’s 30th Anniversary As A Franchise, By: Vinny Lospinuso
- Hawks Trae Young Shimmy Scores Three vs Bucks NBA Playoffs Game 1 2021
- Raiders Josh Jacobs Was Not happy Losing Hudson And Jackson – By Eric Pangilinan
- Boxing Oscar De La Hoya Coming Out Of Retirement- By Eric Pangilinan
- Raiders Derek Carr Supports Teammate Carl Nassib – By Eric Pangilinan
- Raiders Receiver John Brown Building Chemistry With QB Derek Carr
- John McAfee, Who Ran For President vs Donald Trump In 2015, Died In Spanish Prison
- Loki Lamentis Review Recap – By Jessica Dwyer
- Loki Episode 3: Does The Ark Reference Have Symbolic Meaning To Noah’s Ark? By Joseph Armendariz
- 2412 Kingsland Ave Oakland, CA 94601
- Bike Oakland/Alameda: Bay Trail & Bay Farm Island
Oakland News Now Archives
- California eviction moratorium still in limbo ahead of June 30 expiration – San Francisco Chronicle
- Adams leads in NYC mayoral primary but 2 others have a shot – theday.com
- Giant Crane To Pass Under Golden Gate Bridge En Route To Oakland – Patch.com
- Oakland Police Department using de-escalation simulator to train officers on use of force – California News Times
- Oakland A’s minor-league updates: Who’s making the case for a promotion? – The Mercury News
- Photos: Rally and vigil follows Juneteenth shooting at Lake Merritt – The Oaklandside
- Gwyneth Paltrow Probably Didn’t Write This Guide to What’s Cool and New in SF – Flipboard
- Crystal Teahon Obituary (1941 – 2021) – Cordes Lakes, AZ – Custer County Chief – Legacy.com
- East Bay Assembly candidates lay out LGBTQ plans – Bay Area Reporter, America’s highest circulation LGBT newspaper
- Cruise ships are back in business, but new rules mean changes – CNET