Oakland news – On Tuesday via Twitter came news of the siting of a hangman noose on a tree near a walk path along Lake Merritt. It was the focus of this Zennie62 on YouTube video blog and Oakland News Now post:
The Twitter account that belongs to the owner of Feelmore Adult, the famous sex shop at 17th and Telegraph in Downtown Oakland, posted a Twitter video that claimed to show a hangman noose placed on a tree near a walk-path in Lake Merritt Park. What’s not clear is exactly when the video was made and uploaded (separate from the tweet itself) or if Feelmore Adult called the Oakland Police.
As stated before, I put in a call to the shop phone number of Feelmore Adult, but due to the lateness of the hour, did not receive a return phone call or text.
What is known is word of the hangman noose is spreading. It’s also known that a hangman’s noose is a universal sign of anti-black racism, and implies violence that would be done to someone black. It’s also known that, as of now, the hangman’s noose is not officially illegal in Oakland. It should be. The hangman noose is illegal to display in Virginia, New York and Connecticut – why not Oakland? The other question is how did it get there at Lake Merritt?
Whatever the answer, it’s not the first time the hangman noose symbol popped up in our racially-harmonic city of Oakland.
Oakland, California Was Focus Of Hangman Noose Stories In 2014 and 2017
The City of Oakland hangman noose scare of 2014.
In 2014, City of Oakland workers reported a hangman noose and a possible racist threat directed at an African-American worker, but after an investigation led by then Oakland Interim City Manager Henry Gardner, there was discovered a rope tied into what they took to be a hangman’s noose – but they said it was just a slipnot. While the media went with the cover-story that it was a mistake, behind the scenes, a number of City of Oakland workers told me the truth was covered up. The problem is just what that “truth” was, was never revealed.
The Port of Oakland hangman noose scare of 2017.
This one was at the Port of Oakland and the union’s secretary-treasurer reported that one of his members found a hangman’s noose inside a truck on the terminal. That marked the second hangman noose found in two weeks. The first was found tied to a fence at the same cargo terminal, and six months before that report — racist graffiti was found spray painted on a piece of equipment.
Later that year, four Port of Oakland dockworkers sued three marine companies that employ them, and for the claim of supporting a racially hostile work environment after slurs, nooses and Confederate flags reported to have been seen, yet no action was taken.
Lake Merritt Hangman Noose First Outside Of A Government Organization In Oakland
While the other mentioned hangman noose acts were done within the City of Oakland, this is the first reported one that’s entirely a private affair, yet in public. Someone did it, not known, but in a public setting, Lake Merritt.
The City of Oakland should officially outlaw the hangman noose.
UPDATE From Oakland Councilmember Lynette Gibson McElhaney
From her post on Facebook:
OPD’s preliminary investigation suggests that these ropes have been tied to the trees by a fitness group. Neighbors have reported seeing people use them for exercise.
OPD investigators have not met with anyone associated with the fitness group but will be returning today to see if they can locate anyone associated with the equipment. If no one is there to claim the ropes, they will be removed by the City.
This is a time for heightened sensitivity. We are committed that Oakland will not be a home for bigotry or any form of terrorism. We are a diverse, inclusive, LoveLife community that welcomes all and where we want all to feel and be safe. Pending OPDs findings I will issue another update this afternoon.
Personal view: update and findings my ass! We need an ordinance to stop this kind of noose from even being made. It’s not necessary.
Related Posts (YARPP)
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- 2021 Juneteenth Shooting At Oakland Lake Merritt Shows Some Black Kids Don’t Value Black Life – Our Fault
- Juneteenth Lake Merritt Shooting: Oakland City Council’s Nikki Fortunado Bas, Carroll Fife Statement
- Kumasi Aaron Of ABC 7 At Juneteenth Jubilee Oakland, Produced By Oakland City Council’s Loren Taylor
- Juneteenth Walk Down Broadway In Oakland Brings Back Memories For Instagram Poster
- 1 dead, others injured after shots fired at Lake Merritt
- Brooklyn Loses NBA Playoffs Game 7 To Milwalkee 115 – 111 Kevin Durant Reverts To Warriors Time
- Nba Super Teams Dont Win Right Away By- Eric Pangilinan
- Kevin Durant Is God Reaction – Hits Tie Shot To Send Game 7 Vs Bucks To Overtime
- NBA Western Conference Finals Set Suns Vs Clippers – By Eric Pangilinan
- Juneteeth Reaction: What Is Its Meaning To America? By: Vinny Lospinuso
- Cole Beasley Reaction To Joseph Armenderiaz Vlog By- Eric Pangilinan
- Juneteeth, What Is Its Meaning To America? By: Vinny Lospinuso
- Some Filipinos Question Manny Pacquaio Ability- To lead By Eric Pangilinan
- Who Is Nate Hobbs That Raiders 5th Round Draft Pick By- Eric Pangilinan
- Tropical Storm Claudette Downgraded To Depression Moving Through Fayetteville Georgia
- Royal Exchange In San Francisco: Zennie62 Live With Zennie Abraham And Beth Schnitzer Of Sprizt Mktg
- 2021 MLB Draft News: MLB Tabs NFL Draft Architect Frank Supovitz For 2021 MLB Draft Denver
- Happy Juneteenth Says Oakland Grand Lake Theater Marquee, Thanks To Allen Michaan
- Black Business Roundtable with Doug & Everett: Attorney Robert Harris, Harlem’s Walter Edwards
- Las Vegas Raiders And NFL Announce 2021 Preseason Schedule Dates, Times – A Quick Review