Oakland news – On Tuesday via Twitter came news of the siting of a hangman noose on a tree near a walk path along Lake Merritt. It was the focus of this Zennie62 on YouTube video blog and Oakland News Now post:
The Twitter account that belongs to the owner of Feelmore Adult, the famous sex shop at 17th and Telegraph in Downtown Oakland, posted a Twitter video that claimed to show a hangman noose placed on a tree near a walk-path in Lake Merritt Park. What’s not clear is exactly when the video was made and uploaded (separate from the tweet itself) or if Feelmore Adult called the Oakland Police.
As stated before, I put in a call to the shop phone number of Feelmore Adult, but due to the lateness of the hour, did not receive a return phone call or text.
What is known is word of the hangman noose is spreading. It’s also known that a hangman’s noose is a universal sign of anti-black racism, and implies violence that would be done to someone black. It’s also known that, as of now, the hangman’s noose is not officially illegal in Oakland. It should be. The hangman noose is illegal to display in Virginia, New York and Connecticut – why not Oakland? The other question is how did it get there at Lake Merritt?
Whatever the answer, it’s not the first time the hangman noose symbol popped up in our racially-harmonic city of Oakland.
Oakland, California Was Focus Of Hangman Noose Stories In 2014 and 2017
The City of Oakland hangman noose scare of 2014.
In 2014, City of Oakland workers reported a hangman noose and a possible racist threat directed at an African-American worker, but after an investigation led by then Oakland Interim City Manager Henry Gardner, there was discovered a rope tied into what they took to be a hangman’s noose – but they said it was just a slipnot. While the media went with the cover-story that it was a mistake, behind the scenes, a number of City of Oakland workers told me the truth was covered up. The problem is just what that “truth” was, was never revealed.
The Port of Oakland hangman noose scare of 2017.
This one was at the Port of Oakland and the union’s secretary-treasurer reported that one of his members found a hangman’s noose inside a truck on the terminal. That marked the second hangman noose found in two weeks. The first was found tied to a fence at the same cargo terminal, and six months before that report — racist graffiti was found spray painted on a piece of equipment.
Later that year, four Port of Oakland dockworkers sued three marine companies that employ them, and for the claim of supporting a racially hostile work environment after slurs, nooses and Confederate flags reported to have been seen, yet no action was taken.
Lake Merritt Hangman Noose First Outside Of A Government Organization In Oakland
While the other mentioned hangman noose acts were done within the City of Oakland, this is the first reported one that’s entirely a private affair, yet in public. Someone did it, not known, but in a public setting, Lake Merritt.
The City of Oakland should officially outlaw the hangman noose.
UPDATE From Oakland Councilmember Lynette Gibson McElhaney
From her post on Facebook:
OPD’s preliminary investigation suggests that these ropes have been tied to the trees by a fitness group. Neighbors have reported seeing people use them for exercise.
OPD investigators have not met with anyone associated with the fitness group but will be returning today to see if they can locate anyone associated with the equipment. If no one is there to claim the ropes, they will be removed by the City.
This is a time for heightened sensitivity. We are committed that Oakland will not be a home for bigotry or any form of terrorism. We are a diverse, inclusive, LoveLife community that welcomes all and where we want all to feel and be safe. Pending OPDs findings I will issue another update this afternoon.
Personal view: update and findings my ass! We need an ordinance to stop this kind of noose from even being made. It’s not necessary.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Boston Celtics vs Houston Rockets – Full Game Highlights | October 24, 2021 | 2021-22 NBA Season October 24, 2021
- NBA DFS Picks 10/24/21 | Live Before Lock October 24, 2021
- 76ERS at THUNDER | FULL GAME HIGHLIGHTS | October 24, 2021 October 24, 2021
- Seth Curry with 28 Points, 7 threes & the DAGGER vs Thunder 🔥 October 24, 2021
- Jalen Green UNREAL 30 points, 8 threes highlights vs Celtics 🔥 October 24, 2021
- Jalen Green Having a DUNKFEST 🔥 Back to back NASTY Dunks October 24, 2021
- By Not Having The NFL, Oakland Misses Free Marketing That San Francisco Enjoys For SNF October 24, 2021
- NFL LIVE: San Francisco 49ers vs Indianapolis Colts Live stream – Colts @ 49ers Live October 24, 2021
- Philadelphia 76ers vs Oklahoma City Thunder – Full Game Highlights | October 24, 2021 NBA Season October 24, 2021
- Seth Curry SHUSHING THE OKC CROWD with 7th Three October 24, 2021
- NFL REACTS TO LAS VEGAS RAIDERS BEATING PHILADELPHIA EAGLES | LAS VEGAS RAIDERS WINS 33-22 October 24, 2021
- BEARS VS BUCS (Live Reaction) – Tom Brady 600th Passing TD October 24, 2021
- Jalen Green Levitates for the Dunk to Give Him 28 Pts in the Game! October 24, 2021
- Moscone rain shelter at capacity October 24, 2021
- GO EAGLES! / Philadelphia vr Las Vegas Raiders October 24, 2021
- ‘That was a shocker!’ | Neville gives damning verdict on Man Utd October 24, 2021
- “Welcome to the League” Joel Embiid HARD Foul on rookie Josh Giddey October 24, 2021
- 49ers Get the Interception in the Red Zone! October 24, 2021
- Moritz Wagner With the NASTY DUNK Over Obi Toppin October 24, 2021
- San Anselmo Creek could flood October 24, 2021
- Storm Sends Trees Crashing Down Across San Francisco October 24, 2021
- NFL DFS Showdown Live Before Lock SNF Week 7 Colts vs. 49ers Showdown | October 17 October 24, 2021
- Matt Nagy on loss to Buccaneers | Chicago Bears October 24, 2021
- 49ers vs Colts Live Streaming Scoreboard, Play-By-Play, 49ers Highlights, Updates, Stats| NFL Week 7 October 24, 2021
- Rain Not Bothering the Colts October 24, 2021
- Who’s to blame for the Eagles’ terrible defense against the Raiders | Eagles Postgame Live October 24, 2021
- NFL PICKS: New Orleans Saints vs Seattle Seahawks | 🏈 NFL Best Bets | NFL Picks Today October 24, 2021
- Al Horford Teaches Rookie Alperen Sengun A Lesson 👀 October 24, 2021
- Candal Vigil for Halyna Hutchinsn After Fatal Shooting October 24, 2021
- NFL LIVE : San Francisco 49ers vs Indianapolis Colts | NFL 2021 Week 7 October 24, 2021
- Victory Speech: Sean McVay Hands Out Game Balls After Week 7 Win vs. Lions October 24, 2021
- Coach Bisaccia, Carr, Ngakoue, Moreau, Miller and Drake Postgame Presser | Week 7 | Raiders | NFL October 24, 2021
- Philadelphia Eagles vs Las Vegas Raiders | Semana 7 2021 NFL Game Highlights October 24, 2021
- Santa Rosa apartment building, 95 homes evacuated due to flooding October 24, 2021
- Khalil Herbert Highlights from Week 7 | Chicago Bears October 24, 2021
- Storm Watch Forecast: The latest storm forecast from the KPIX 5 weather team October 24, 2021
- Mitchell Robinson With a KNEE INJURY 😨 October 24, 2021
- Golden State Warriors VS Sacramento Kings 10/24/21 Free NBA Picks And Prediction NBA Betting Tips October 24, 2021
- Khalil Herbert talks loss to Buccaneers | Chicago Bears October 24, 2021
- Justin Fields on loss to Tampa Bay: ‘We gotta continue to work’ | Chicago Bears October 24, 2021