Washington, DC – Today, Congresswoman Barbara Lee (CA-13) joined Rep. Jackie Speier (CA-14) and 45 colleagues in a letter to Speaker Pelosi and the Committee on House Administration requesting the creation of an independent commission to investigate the security failures at the U.S. Capitol, both during the violent insurrection in which a mob of Trump supporters breached the House and Senate chambers on January 6, 2021, leading to the death of a US Capitol Police Officer and four others, and more broadly in order to make the complex more secure.
“Despite promises made to Members of Congress that every precaution was being taken and that there was adequate manpower and coordination, hundreds of people were able to easily enter restricted parts of the Capitol grounds, including the steps, and break into the building itself,” the Members wrote. “Even before yesterday’s events it was clear that security at the Capitol was inadequate to address current security threats. Thousands of people are able to flow in and out of the Capitol complex each day… With little more than a quick X-Ray scan of bags and a quick walk through a metal detector, individuals have nearly unfettered access to Congressional offices and Committee rooms… Yesterday’s breach was a wake-up call: The Capitol security system, as it currently exists, is woefully insufficient.
The Members have requested the independent commission investigate numerous issues, including:
What was the U.S. Capitol Police’s plan to protect the U.S. Capitol on January 6, 2021, and how did it compare to best practices for protecting high-value targets near gatherings of violent extremists?
How did the U.S. Capitol Police coordinate in advance of January 6, 2021, with the Metropolitan Police Department of the District of Columbia, federal law enforcement agencies, and the D.C. National Guard, and what plans were made in advance to utilize these resources both initially and in case the situation escalated?
Who was giving orders to U.S. Capitol Police on January 6, 2021, and did those orders include responding with limited force?
Did the U.S. Capitol Police monitor social media or coordinate with other federal law enforcement agencies to monitor social media in advance of January 6, 2021?
Why were only 14 arrests made by U.S. Capitol Police? Can the U.S. Capitol Police explain the difference in their response to the events of January 6, 2021 as compared to the response to other protests, including, but not limited to, the peaceful protests against police violence during the summer of 2020, the nomination of Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh, and the repeal of the Affordable Care Act?
Given video footage of at least one U.S. Capitol Police officer taking a selfie with domestic terrorists, and footage of U.S. Capitol Police officers potentially opening gates to other rioters, are there mechanisms in place to monitor and determine whether Capitol Police officers have alliances with violent extremist groups?
Should Congress implement background check requirements for all employees working in the Capitol complex?
Should the U.S. Capitol Police implement new security procedures for visitors to the Capitol Complex? What would be the costs of implementing new security procedures?
How can the U.S. Capitol Police improve overall security of the Capitol complex?
Past based on press release from Rep. Barbara Lee to Zennie62Media
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Brian Laundrie’s sister speaks out on Gabby Petito’s disappearance September 17, 2021
- Cat Brooks Guest at Rotary Club of Oakland Civic Thursday Meeting September 16, 2021 September 17, 2021
- Oakland Roots to Become Climate Positive by 2022 in Partnership with East Bay Community Energy September 17, 2021
- Amtrak San Joaquin #716 train at Oakland Jack London Square Oakland California September 17, 2021
- Can Homeowners In The U.S. Afford Climate Change? September 17, 2021
- Massive Flash Floods in Washington DC 9/16/2021 September 17, 2021
- Live View of Inspiration4 Dragon Tracker | Cupola View September 17, 2021
- FBI, Bay Area Law Enforcement Take Down Leaders of Infamous Crime Organization September 17, 2021
- Cadillac Sedan Deville on 22″ Gold Zeniths & Vogues from Oakland, Ca EP131 September 17, 2021
- A’s vs. Royals Game Highlights (9/16/21) | MLB Highlights September 17, 2021
- Large Scale Electrical System Installation: Oakland International Airport September 17, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Will Clelin Ferrell Get To Start In Week Two Vs The Steelers ? By Eric Pangilinan September 16, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders: Gus Bradley – Greg Olson Discuss Injuries and Steelers By Joseph Armendariz September 16, 2021
- Amy Trask CBS | Amy Trask Interview – Fmr Oakland Now Las Vegas Raiders On Zennie62 YouTube Live September 16, 2021
- Amy Trask, Former Raiders CEO, CBS Sports Analyst, Interview On Zennie62 Live September 16, 2021
- The Oakland Roots Defeat Tacoma Defiance 3-1 September 16, 2021
- Oakland Schools News: OUSD Celebrates Latino Heritage Month September 16, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Ice Cube & Too Short At Allegiant Stadium Halftime Show For MNF Ravens At Raiders September 16, 2021
- Here’s How to Increase Your EIDL Funding September 16, 2021
- Gabby Petito Case: Family of Missing YouTuber Claims Fiancé Is ‘Refusing’ to Help Find Her September 16, 2021
- Yom Kippur 2021 – Jordan Matthew Ward Vlog September 16, 2021
- New York Jews Prepare For Yom Kippur September 16, 2021
- The Holiest Day in Israel – Yom Kippur September 16, 2021
- Pathways to Entrepreneurship: A Fireside Chat with Jennifer Lopez and SBA Administrator Isabel Guzman September 16, 2021
- National Small Week Virtual Summit: Daymond John Of Shark Tank On ABC September 16, 2021